Best Way to Recruit College Students

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Best Way to Recruit College Students

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:08 pm

I already run a College group. We seem to be good at recruiting community members. We currently retain people who really like fighting (rather than casual players), so we are smaller than I like. I am always looking for that balance between 1) fun and casual with many people playing "games" AND 2) serious, competitive, events oriented with a few people who play to hone their skills. Right now, we need another influx of new people-especially college students.

So, what has worked for college groups in the past and how do we most efficiently spend our time for recruiting?

Thank you,
AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Best Way to Recruit College Students

Postby Kyrian » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:47 pm

In Wolfpack during the fall semester, they would fight on the ISU quad. It was a high-visibility area with a lot of foot traffic. They would also have people ready to answer questions and hand out fliers about Belegarth. I also recall one year one of the fighters was an RA and brought almost his entire floor out to a practice. I'm not sure if there were any permanent members that resulted from that but it definitely helped. People see that there are people trying it out who aren't garbed and seem more willing to give it a shot.

Another thing that has seemed to work is getting a demo together during a college's quad day, i.e., the day where people can walk around and see all of the student organizations. Also, Wolfpack encouraged people to go out to dinner after practice. I've always considered it an important step to welcoming new members.

They would also try to have weapon building and garb making sessions before Octoberfest. That way a new person would be ready to attend. There's often an emotional investment that comes with making garb and weaponry. It's been my experience that new fighters who've had a chance to attend a major event such as Octoberfest are usually hooked after that.

So if I had to sum it up it would be:

1) Visibility--They have to see people fighting, having fun, and that there are people who aren't necessarily all veterans.
2) Inclusivity--Demonstrate that there is also a social aspect to Belegarth. Show them that there are other opportunities besides fighting.
3) Positive attitude--Welcome them with open arms and encourage them to meet the members of the group, both in fighting and non-fighting capacities.
4) Emotional attachment--Give them an opportunity to invest time and effort into the sport.

Admittedly, this is purely anecdotal and may not necessarily work for all groups. But I believe these are some of the reasons Wolfpack has done well in recruiting and retaining members.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I would say that we strive to be great in these areas, but had an unlucky booth spot this year that made us less visible during the club fair. We are planning a "Geekfest" where we have a party and invite RPG Club, magic Cards Club, and any other "Geek" group we can find. We are hoping this will put us closer to out "targets." UCI is a strange campus in a quarter system and most of the students (30,000) commute in and are gone duirng the weekend :cry:
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Mercer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:31 am

College recruiting? Two words: Free Beer. :devil:
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:33 am

strippers.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby kree » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:26 am

kyrian had it down to a T, what he said is almost universally the way to attract new members
The Shnitzel
Squire to Sir Dameon

kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Return to Recruitment Ideas