Bringing amatuer groups into Bel

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Bringing amatuer groups into Bel

Postby Krysknife » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:29 pm

In my hometown, I have about 20~ish friends that are on and off participaters in the town's boffer group. Unfortunately, it's an unrefined group, not like Bel. (Duct tape + Noodles + PVC make up the swords, if you understand the group's makeup now) They think it's all great fun, and it's easy to make oodles of loaners to get people interested, and they're happy to learn that they can make their own in such an easy, simple process.

However, I'd like to make an effort to somehow transform this group of kids with duct tape swords into a funtioning Bel group. I'm asking for advice on what approaches and steps to take to eventually setting up a working realm there, with luck.

I've allready gotten two friends who live there interested in Bel, and who want to go to Armageddon with me, so they would be the ones who maintained this group, I'm just wanting to help them get started.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2009

Re: Bringing amatuer groups into Bel

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:49 pm

I work on this a lot and would also love to hear what people have to say on the subtle or not so subtle conversion of these groups into Bel. I think that we have gotten the best response by showing up to other peoples' practices in excellent garb with top notch weapons, playing with sportsmanship and honor, and having some old vets with you to show them some skillz hasn't hurt either. In my opinion, inviting them and bringing them to large Bel events solidifies Bel's supremacy to the home brew game, provided the group knows what to expect on the field and at check. Often the field is rougher and weapon's check generally frowns on the pool noodle/PVC combo, so their weapons need to get up to par, or they will be very let down when all their gear fails. Also, do your best to avoid the "my sport is better than yours" comparisons...even though sometimes it can be very hard.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Krysknife » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:15 pm

Alot of good points there.
Especially about bringing Bel culture to them, and then bringing them to an event to experience the full scale of it.
Also, I'd be willing to sit down with all of them and have a good weapons making session for every single one of them who thinks they'd want to go to a big event, and explain as to what makes our gear different, so they don't feel inferior in that respect. Thankfully, my hometown is going to be only a few hours from Armageddon this year, so I'm going to shoot for that to be the event they go to. It's always easier to try something new with friends, after all.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm

It was an easy conversion for us. Two of the three most dominant fighters in the tappy-tap boffer, including myself, liked the idea of Bel more than tappy, unrealistic "combat." We just brought quite a few of the old group, and the weapons that were personally owned by the unofficial leader of that boffer group, to Bel. Smooth, easy, and reletively painless. We had some opposition from the hardcore LARPers, who complained that our weapons would hit too hard, etc. We don't really care. If they want to continue their LARPS, go on ahead, and leave us to our game.
Duke of New Dawn of Southern Marches

Proud member of House Blackthorn
Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2009
Realm: New Dawn of Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Spear

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:34 pm

It was an easy conversion for us. Two of the three most dominant fighters in the tappy-tap boffer, including myself, liked the idea of Bel more than tappy, unrealistic "combat." We just brought quite a few of the old group, and the weapons that were personally owned by the unofficial leader of that boffer group, to Bel. Smooth, easy, and reletively painless. We had some opposition from the hardcore LARPers, who complained that our weapons would hit too hard, etc. We don't really care. If they want to continue their LARPS, go on ahead, and leave us to our game.

Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Krysknife » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Before I pass out and forget what was running through my head, I wanted to throw another aspect out there. These kids do this for fun. I want a clean, efficient conversion.
The group demographic would break down such at 1/5 of the group has made many weapons and has expressed an interest in pursuing something greater; they show up every time and show improvement. Another 1/5 has made a single weapon, shows up most of the time, and may or may not show improvement. The remanining 3/5 are all casual players who show up 50% of the time, only use loaners. While I'm sure a good recruitment can get the first group, and most of the second group, creating a Bel group may destroy the previous boffer society if done wrong- and as a result, that 3/5 of our population would lose interest. I suggest a gradual conversion, allowing both weapon types, but consistantly showing benefits to changing systems.

Some ideas and speculation on how to keep the 'off group' involved would be interesting.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 pm

Well, we ended up just leaving the old group behind, and only pick those weapons, almost all of which are personal weapons of one of the founding members of New Dawn, and only touch them during the yearly convention held at the local college. Most of the ones who wanted only light-contact boffer, which was few anyway, went back to table-top RPG's for the most part. There's actually hostility between the two groups anyway. Though, that one member is now missing. No one here has seen or heard from him since early December.

Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Krysknife » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:17 am

See, that's a problem. Everyone is friends with everyone in this group. I'd rather not invoke hostility.
I could either have practices with modified rules that also allow both weapons... or compromise somewhere else. I'm unsure.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:23 am

Threaten their families.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Slagar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:58 am

You're in kind of a rough spot. The simple fact is, Belegarth isn't for everyone. Lots of people show up to Numenor, spend a few weeks playing, and getting the snot beat out of 'em, and decide they don't care for it. The ones who stay are the ones who enjoy what we do. If we wanted to keep everybody, we couldn't do it by playing Belegarth. If you're really careful, you might get a few of the off-group into your new realm, but for the most part you're going to lose a lot of the casuals. Belegarth is probably the most intense foam-fighting game, and not everybody wants to play.

To be honest, if they're all having fun, then leave it alone. If there are a couple that are interested, then do weekly sparring sessions with 'em, and drag them to events. Keep the invites to your sparring sessions open for anybody who wants to try, but steer well clear of the established practices for the homebrew group (different times on different days). If there's enough interest for a realm, if enough people are showing up to spar regularly, eventually your 'sparring sessions' become 'practices', and now you have a realm. Easy, organic, and the previously established group can continue to hold play their game undisturbed.

I do this anyway, for practice. It got to the point where my buddies and I were fighting four times a week, two at Numenor and two 'sparring sessions' with 5-8 people showing up. School nixed that, though.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Krysknife » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm

I also like this. I'll have a talk with the other guy in charge, and direct him to this thread, so he and I can bounce these ideas back and forth.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

I think that Slagar has some very good points, you can try to hold a tentative balance between the hardcore and softies, but eventually it won't work out. I have been trying the same sorts of things at my realm. I will tell you one thing that makes casual players show up now and again is that we have 2 Themed/Light combat events a year (with easy rules) that we host and invite all the other LARP groups to. The work is on us, but they can show up and have fun and we continue to have a good relationship with everyone even though the rest of the year we only play Bel.

This also helps to get people to groups with appropriate intensity. Some LARP people like Bel better and keep showing up and some of our feebles like the LARP better and get to meet those people. Everyone gets redistributed, but in a sociable and friendly way. So far, it is working alright.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 pm

I beleive your best bet is to encourage everyone to look at our weapons, whatever they do. Our weapons are safer. They just are. And they can be made cheap as hell. Covers are usually the problem. Get someone to make you like a hundered and keep them in a box.
Make as many loaner weapons as you can afford. Then make 5 more. If you always have good Bel legal weapon to loan, people will eventualy start prefering them.
Our weapons will stand up to any test for safety and durability against duct tape larp weapons.
Once you get them using proper weapons, the conversion pretty much takes care of itself if your anywhere near an area where people have regular events. Once people have weapons, and you offer them a ride to the event, why wouldn't they check it out. And once they check it out, thier hooked.
Also, never talk about quiting anything and going over to Bel. Ever. Belegarth does not provide the group spirtit of a small local game and does not enguage in any rolepley. For people from these types of scenes(especialy roleplayers) quitting what they do for Bel will leave them wanting something we don't have.
I tell people to come to Bel to learn to fight. And to practice good fighting, so that when they praticipate in whatever local shenaigans or larp nonsense they do, they kick *.
Since Belegarth is free, this works on the ones who actually want to fight. They Start coming out, pick it up pretty quick and then they are down for life. Or they find out it's not for them. No harm, no foul. Everybody stay friends.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Valas Hune » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Forkbeard wrote:Covers are usually the problem. Get someone to make you like a hundered and keep them in a box.

Or I hate to say it but black pantyhose will work in a pinch or if you are sewing challenged
Uruk Nation WAAGH!!!!
I have a rendezvous with death
The Baby Maker
Realm of Stygia
Chieftain of Stygia in the Western Uruk-Hai
Member of the White Skull
Founder of Valas' pub - Putting the orc in horc since Chaos wars 9
VB proud
Valas Hune
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Krysknife » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Good stuff, Forkbeard.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Krysknife
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thumbs » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:30 pm

I think your best bet is to convert weapons. those that are interested will convert to Bel itself from there. I've recruited a lot of friends to fighting, but to join a regular group is a tad more difficult
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby No'Vak » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:14 am

Watch the last post date. If its been over like a month and you don't have something significant to add leave it alone.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Return to Recruitment Ideas