local community centers and community organizations

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

local community centers and community organizations

Postby Embara Cayosin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:32 pm

has any realms tried partnering with their local community centers and community organizations like the ymca. i talked to my ymcas program coordinator today and he seams realy interested in starting a belegarth program. the way i see it is that if realms partner with organizations like the ymca they can appeal to a wider range of people. the community orgs that start up a program could be considered states (mini realms) within the mother realm. leading to thangs like regonal teams and organized "Games" i feel that if every realm partnered with these orgs that the sport could boom and go from scattered realms with very little unity. to a massive recognized sport sort of like high school foot ball or soccer. in fact if community orgs start forming teams then wats to stop high schools from doing so and it becoming recognized as a school sport.

so what do you think
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Re: local community centers and community organizations

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:08 pm

There is a satelite group at our local HS started by some of our fighters that has been going for 5 years. That's really cool that your local YMCA is down with this. How did you approach the coordinator with this?? I would give it a shot for sure considering we have to break for about 4-5 months of the year due to the cold.

I'd like to know how you presented this to the coordinator? What kind of schpeel did you give him?
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:13 pm

Ooooh... I should really try this for my realm. Except I'm nervous.

Also curious about the details of how you did it.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Embara Cayosin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:22 pm

he is a really cool guy and thats how i worked up my nerve to approach him. i asked if he had ever considered offering a foam fighting sport as a program and he said he hadn't but would like more information and asked me to come up with a sort of presentation. which i am in the works of getting together. iv included so far the bow. links to various belegarth sites. a few paragraphs about what the sport is about. and the local realm and location. and places to get gear. all i need is contact info from dur-d and permission to submit the proposal. his reaction and body language as i asked him seam very promising.

if you can suggest any thing else to submit please do so
In Draconic

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Rocca » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:30 pm

Depending on the proposal/presentation these may or may not be useful but they defiantly was when we were getting certified as a club and purchasing weapons here at the University or Oregon:

Copies of your wiavers, minor and nonminor versions.

Actual weapons - for us, once they saw the weapons (and a short demonstration) what we do became more of a reality and the safety issue (which was big for them and would defiantly be big for an organization like YMCA) was mitigated.

Just some thoughts.
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby Embara Cayosin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm

adding copies of the waivers is a good idea but i didnt think of it becouse the y makes you sign like 5 when you sign up which covers anything you might ever do on their grounds including martial arts but i will include them as a reference
In Draconic

Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby frazzgnarth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 pm

Personally, I think it sounds like a great idea. It may be something we will have to try here in NC. I've gone through our local parks and recreation office about trying to setup a demo of sorts just in one of our city parks, but a specific program through an organization is far more likely to garner real (and hopefully lasting) interest.

That being said, video of combat, the BoW, and a sampling of weapons should be enough to give a coordinator a strong idea of what the sport is about and all the precautions we take to keep people safe.
-Frazz
frazzgnarth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2009
Realm: Dominaria
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby The Lost Celt » Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Keep us updated, I like your ideas - we'll be doing a 4h fundraiser in the near future, I know some of of at least two groups locally that have done parades in the past, community involvement isn't bad at all, gives others a chance to notice us and realize there's a little more to it, we also did demos at a ren-faire before that went * up. Hell I had one queen that I thought of more as a "den mother" than a fighter, so there's a lot of potential there...

Three things I try to use as a selling point - A physically oriented sport based on an honor system, a good creative outlet (foamsmithing/armor/garb/ect) and a positive outlet for aggression.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon May 17, 2010 8:10 am

Out near me, in Lewisburg, PA, apparently someone ran a weeklong Dagorhir* Day Camp last summer through the Park and Rec department.

I'll hopefully be getting contact info soon, and am going to try to take it over for this year. If I hear anything that would help anyone else do this, I'll let you all know -- it seems like a great idea to grow Belegarth and foam fighting in general.

The first three days, it sounds like, were mostly fighting and rules. The last two days were weapon making, and more fighting.

[*I'm not entirely sure that it was a Dag camp.. it may have been Bel, or another sport, and was simply run by a college student home on break, I believe. If anyone has any info about who ran it, I'd like to get in touch with the guy.]
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Return to Recruitment Ideas