Specialized Female Flanker Unit-recruits

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Specialized Female Flanker Unit-recruits

Postby Bells » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:07 pm

I have recently formed a small specailized flanker unit called BANSHEE, that operates in tandom with a larger unit. It was created off my own original fighting style, and has approx. 3 memebers. I am somewhat stuck on recruits though, while we have quite a few females that come out to practice many either don't have the aggression needed, or are unwilling to experiment with different fighting techniques. How can I get more girls involved, or more specifically girls with BACKBONE?
" I am not eccentric, I am just more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel in a pool of catfish"
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: aquilonia
Unit: Militis Mortis
Favorite Fighting Styles: florentine
Single Blue
Red

Re: Specialized Female Flanker Unit-recruits

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:20 pm

Perhaps try a non-bel social night out to build camaraderie?

You can focus recruiting on a target that has the attributes and personality you want and get them to like you/ enjoy hanging out and then bounce the idea of "hey, we do this other activity too, wanna come?"

This could work with friends you already have or girls that show up to the field and are sitting on the fence. If you show them that you can do it and that they're like you, you can probably convince them that they can do it as well.

G/L
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Bells » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Thanks so much for the ideas. I will do wat i can. part of the problem is that i don't get along with the average female. .. to much drama. I have pursued a lot of our non-com females at practice but will continue. if u have anybody to suggest let me know. thanks for the input again. :)
" I am not eccentric, I am just more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel in a pool of catfish"
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Brooder » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Here's my advice: Don't listen to Toolius and don't be creepy. Because of your last post, I'm concerned that you're failing at both.
Brooder
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drinking cans of PBR.

Postby Caleidah » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:57 pm

Don't be rabid about it. Unless people are as ready as you to form a bunch of female hard flankers that fight using your revolutionary new style, they're going to be put off by how intense you are about it. Find female fighters first. Work with them a little on your style. Talk to them and be excited without blowing your top.

It's a plain and simple fact that there aren't many women involved in the sport, and coming on too strongly might alienate them before you've had a chance to fill them in.

tl;dr - Be friendly and get your target ladies excited about your unit without cramming it down their throats.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Salamander » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Interestingly enough, Nero actually was very likely to not even be in Rome when it burned that one time, but not those four other times.

That aside.
Belegarth females are a very interesting breed. They tend to be very stand-offish, and sometimes hard to meet. Locally, it might not be so bad, but abroad, they tend to stick with their people. I guarantee that running about, flailing excitedly will turn many away, no matter how good of an idea it may be. Take it slow, get to know them first. You can kill most drama before it starts by not letting just anybody in. Take the interested ones, the level-headed ones who won't breed drama-llama's like they are going out of style.

Are you on the women's forum? It would be a great place to get to know and meet Belegrim ladies.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby The Great Gigsby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 am

Bells wrote:I have recently formed a small specailized flanker unit called BANSHEE, that operates in tandom with a larger unit.
Which larger unit would that be?

I found this article to be very eye opening and the related discussion even more so.

I wish you luck.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Interesting article. This is a weird issue to write on. I think that culture does play a major role in whether women will pursue fighting Bel at a top level. I know for myself, I personally struggle with the ability to "get in the game". There are qualities I have to find: aggression, confidence, a lack of concern for others. I can only find these qualities with adrenaline. Sometimes, I feel I have something I need to prove, and I can tap into it this way (I think this is a general dude thing mentioned in the article). Also, our culture generally frowns on roughing up the ladies; Bel is likely the first time we are expected to get hit in the face and just keep fighting. It also means not caring about interpersonal dynamics during fighting. Both of these concepts are not usually modeled for us, and they are innately difficult to turn off. Basically, you get hurt-don't care; you hurt someone-don't care. Don't get me wrong, I never want to injure anyone, but I don't want to be overly concerned whether that shoulder shot skims the neck or whether I drop someone with a junk shot.This is the dynamic we have set up with each other; it is our social contract. No one takes it personally. It is different from the way women interact with each other.

I think if you want women to become serious fighters, they need to want to be treated like they are dudes. I do my best to never think of myself as a woman on the field. I am not trying to be one of the best woman fighters, I am trying to be one of the best fighters period. Once you get over being a girl, you can be what every one else is on the field: a warrior.

-AoC
PS: You're all a bunch of pussies, so grow a pair.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Bells » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Interesting article. This is a weird issue to write on. I think that culture does play a major role in whether women will pursue fighting Bel at a top level. I know for myself, I personally struggle with the ability to "get in the game". There are qualities I have to find: aggression, confidence, a lack of concern for others. I can only find these qualities with adrenaline. Sometimes, I feel I have something I need to prove, and I can tap into it this way (I think this is a general dude thing mentioned in the article). Also, our culture generally frowns on roughing up the ladies; Bel is likely the first time we are expected to get hit in the face and just keep fighting. It also means not caring about interpersonal dynamics during fighting. Both of these concepts are not usually modeled for us, and they are innately difficult to turn off. Basically, you get hurt-don't care; you hurt someone-don't care. Don't get me wrong, I never want to injure anyone, but I don't want to be overly concerned whether that shoulder shot skims the neck or whether I drop someone with a junk shot.This is the dynamic we have set up with each other; it is our social contract. No one takes it personally. It is different from the way women interact with each other.

I think if you want women to become serious fighters, they need to want to be treated like they are dudes. I do my best to never think of myself as a woman on the field. I am not trying to be one of the best woman fighters, I am trying to be one of the best fighters period. Once you get over being a girl, you can be what every one else is on the field: a warrior.

-AoC
PS: You're all a bunch of pussies, so grow a pair.

I agree. On all of this. I have been doing role play fighting for about five years *belelgarth style only 6 months* there never was a lot of women. but the ones i did find, carry the same attitude that u do and i share. Gender is irrelavant when fighting. The coolest fighters i know are the ones that will hit me the same way they would hit a man. and who will TAKE my hits the way they would take another man's. thank u for ur input. this is just what i have been saying. :)
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Bells » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Giggles wrote:
Bells wrote:I have recently formed a small specailized flanker unit called BANSHEE, that operates in tandom with a larger unit.

I found this article to be very eye opening and the related discussion even more so.

I wish you luck.

Militis Mortis

thanks. same to you.
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Bells » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Salamander wrote:Interestingly enough, Nero actually was very likely to not even be in Rome when it burned that one time, but not those four other times.

That aside.
Belegarth females are a very interesting breed. They tend to be very stand-offish, and sometimes hard to meet. Locally, it might not be so bad, but abroad, they tend to stick with their people. I guarantee that running about, flailing excitedly will turn many away, no matter how good of an idea it may be. Take it slow, get to know them first. You can kill most drama before it starts by not letting just anybody in. Take the interested ones, the level-headed ones who won't breed drama-llama's like they are going out of style.

Are you on the women's forum? It would be a great place to get to know and meet Belegrim ladies.

it's true. and i have been using that approach. i watch any fighters that come and in order for me to approach them with banshee they have to do one of two things- 1. either straight up ask if they can fight my style (this has happened) 2. after a month of so of getting to know them, watching their consitency ect. i either discard the idea, or simply ask if they like how i fight and would be willing to give it a try. whenever i have asked they have accepted. this whole discussion was mostly to see if there were any suggestions to speed up the process. and get networking. agreed. no drama llamas. not worth my time, not worth my energy or the energy of my girls. thanks for that advice. :)
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Bells » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Brooder wrote:Here's my advice: Don't listen to Toolius and don't be creepy. Because of your last post, I'm concerned that you're failing at both.

let me explain. when i say pursue i mean to observe. i don't ask somebody unless i am 80% sure that they will jump at the chance. sorry wrong wording.
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Bells » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:33 pm

Giggles wrote:

I wish you luck.

checked out ur links too. interesting and sadly all to true. thanks for the input again. it was interesting.
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Brooder » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 pm

It just accoured to me you, Bells, might be a girl. Then it's understandable that you want to socialize with other like minded women. Here I was thinking you were just another anti social virgin anime fan boy who just wants their penis touched. So, discard my post except don't listen to that roman douche.
Brooder
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drinking cans of PBR.

Postby Bells » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Brooder wrote:It just accoured to me you, Bells, might be a girl. Then it's understandable that you want to socialize with other like minded women. Here I was thinking you were just another anti social virgin anime fan boy who just wants their penis touched. So, discard my post except don't listen to that roman douche.

ha ha, well this is my first gender confusion :eek: . yes, i am in fact female- nothing dangling down there, thanks for the clarification and the laugh.
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Titan G » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:08 pm

biggest recruiting advantage to anything, not just your unit is getting to an event and doing two things. not completely sucking on the field when you fight, no one should want to lose, and having fun both on and off the field.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Bells » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:24 pm

Titan G wrote:biggest recruiting advantage to anything, not just your unit is getting to an event and doing two things. not completely sucking on the field when you fight, no one should want to lose, and having fun both on and off the field.

unit involved in ALL and any allowable battles... this is a rule. we don't suck, we aren't the best but we don't suck either. being cool and drama minimum is what makes it fun. well said.
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am

Bells wrote:Gender is irrelavant when fighting.

Isn't that a little hypocritical from someone whose forming a female only unit?

On a different note, this is sort of a weird way to form a unit. Every major unit in belegarth recruits the same way: They hang out with people, they enjoy their time with those people, they have very loose and simple criteria for the kind of people they're looking for and if those people fit, they ask them to join. Most units are not recruiting with as tight criteria as you are. Plus, if a female flanker fighter has the choice to join a unit that's you guys, or her friends, she'll pick her friends every time. Units are social cliques, they're gangs without crime (and not always without crime...) they aren't mercenary companies or paramilitary organizations who recruit fighters of a particular style..... usually. You're going to have a huge problem finding people, and at the end of the day it sounds like the better solution is to make it apparent that you're looking for these people, but to let them find you since you're the obvious choice for the kind of people you're looking for.

I guess my advice boils down to the fact that typically units don't find people, people find units.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Derian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:27 am

Big King Jimmy wrote:and not always without crime...

- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Acorn » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:15 pm

derian, your little gator picture just mesmerized me for 15 minutes...

Bell, if you're interested in an all female unit there is one, although it's really casual and more of a "hey, we're all bad asses with vaginas" then an actually competative unit. it's called the Valkyries and it's for bel girls who actually fight. look it up on the womens forum.

this is not to diss yours at all. it sounds fun if you can get it working, and the Valkyries are all part of other units too so you could, (and should) do both. :) just saying hi and welcome and all that!
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Bells » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:48 am

Acorn wrote:derian, your little gator picture just mesmerized me for 15 minutes...

Bell, if you're interested in an all female unit there is one, although it's really casual and more of a "hey, we're all bad asses with vaginas" then an actually competative unit. it's called the Valkyries and it's for bel girls who actually fight. look it up on the womens forum.

this is not to diss yours at all. it sounds fun if you can get it working, and the Valkyries are all part of other units too so you could, (and should) do both. :) just saying hi and welcome and all that!

i actually have heard of the valkyries and am very impressed by them. I would like to do both but not combine them as the banshee still has potential. we are actually up and running and recruiting. no denying we have plenty of glitches to work out but if we stick to our guns and keep listening to good advice we can pull it off. :)
Bells
Recruit
Recruit

Single Blue
Red

Postby free corps » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:55 pm

This is Guy. Never underestimate the power of an alliance to aid in bolstering your unit. Having those people beside you makes others feel more protected, that victory is a distinc possibility as a part of your unit. Even if its a loose alliance you can work together to mutual gain, without losing your unit in the process, or snag their people for unit tourneys, which I'm guilty of doing a time or to... But I always give them back.
DIE WELL
This is the part where we discuss
what's in it for us.
Uhhh... HAIL camp?
free corps
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Drama Camp
Unit: Free Corps
Favorite Fighting Styles: Pointy end goes in the other man.

Postby Dyre » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:00 am

I like your idea, and think that with work it could really become good, but I think I agree with what Big Jimmy said.
As a female fighter I find it difficult to fight in my realm(being one of two female fighters) at times because sometimes new fighters would rather hear rules and such from a big tough guy than me, but I usually whip them into shape. Some people in my realm don't seem to realize that females can fight too.
Then again, last year, a few different girls came by interested in joining, but once I saw they couldn't take even the lightest hit without flinching, I knew they wouldn't be coming back. Sadly, this seems to be a common case.

Enough about stuff like that, having a female unit would be interesting to fight in. If I ever make it out to bigger events I would definitely like to try it. But again, as Big Jimmy said, you might have difficulty getting people to join just because its a female unit. Personally, if that's all it had going for it, I probably wouldn't join it. If I enjoyed being with every fighter in the unit I would be more inclined to join. As I have heard, units just don't fight together, they also hang out together when they can. If you don't enjoy your unit teammates, this might make things awkward.

Just my two cents.
Dyre
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 26 Sep 2009
Realm: Stygia

Postby To'Gur » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:45 pm

I only see this being effective once a month.
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby Dondarian » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 pm

To'Gur wrote:I only see this being effective once a month.

This is in the Recruitment forum. You want people to read this * when they come looking at Bel?
Tiberius Claudius wrote:Gotta love how Fork just sets the record straight 8)

Garb, Foam, and Beer
Dondarian
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2010
Realm: Acheron
Unit: Undecided
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working on single blue.

Postby Sipris » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:57 am

Bells, what area of the world do you live in?

Also just so you know the Valkyries are looking at having some workshops at Chaos Wars next year for all female fighters. Your unit would be welcome to join us. Pretty much Valkyries is a support group for female fighters. For myself on the field, I take being a female an advantage because everyone when they first come across you, underestimates you (from my 4 years of experience). I don't care anymore (took me a while to get over it), I just use it to my advantage now and catch them off guard. I am proud of being a female warrior. :)

I wish you the best of luck in your recruitment!
House: Valkyries
Sipris
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 11 Nov 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword/board, flo, archery
Pronouns: They / Them

Postby Acorn » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:12 pm

hells yeah Siprizzle. WWXD FTW.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Black Cat » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Sipris wrote:Bells, what area of the world do you live in?

Aquilonia is my neck of the woods.

So somewhere in Northern Utah. I'd guess probably somewhere in the Ogden area or Layton area.

(I just thought I'd step in and give a general answer for this question since it looks like Bells hasn't been on the boards in over a month-and-a-half)
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed