Garb requirements for a new realm

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Garb requirements for a new realm

Postby Yopparai » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:44 pm

I've been looking around and I can't seem to find any particular requirements for garb other than no prints or jeans but, my group dosn't seem to want garb at all. what would be the requirements for an event? do all of your practices have garb requirements or are they more of a special occasion kind of thing? I'd like to eventually hold events here (hawaii) but I need a clear picture of what should be unacceptable.

Thanks for any input you may have
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Nov 2010
Realm: MMCC
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed red

Re: Garb requirements for a new realm

Postby Sir Par » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey, you should PM Rasheab, he has a group going in Hawaii! Well, garb is required. It isn't a special occasions kind of thing, its an all the time kind of thing. Its the uniform we wear to play this sport, and its specifically required by the Book of War. In there, there are basic requirements for garb, a tunic or tabbard and baggy pants for the men. It also lists some substitutes like kilts, skirts, and dresses. To get a good idea of what garb looksl like hit up the pictures and video forum and look at some of the posted pics.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Kael Prime » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:20 pm

Garb is required, you don't have to have garb at your own personal practice but it makes you look better and it look like u know what you are doing, other than having a bunch a people running around in jeans and t-shirts. At events you must have at least a simple garb. I would suggest meeting your guys in the middle just have them wear sweats a plan shirt and make tabards. Tabards are simple enough to make, and then you will have the minimum garb requirements.
best of luck man.
Fifth Knight of the Western Flame.
Knight of Ren of The Sith Empire .
Shadow master of Sunspear
The Pale Demon
The Original Silverhelm
Kael Prime
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2010
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: The Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Kungfu S&B

Postby Yopparai » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks For the quick responses,
Im already working with Rasheab to get things going, I started out with him then made something a little closer to home. Since Rasheabs group are all students they are too busy to make garb (or maybe he hasn't talked to them about it) I haven't made garb myself but am planning on slowly transitioning the group. I think if we implement the rule too quickly it'll scare off too many people. We've only had one practice so far and we only had 12 people participating. But, thanks when we get enough people where we can afford to lose some I'll start the transition. Just starting with tabbards is a good idea too.

Thanks again
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Show them good pics of people with great garb and awesome armor, tell them looking awesome makes people fear them, which makes them easier to kill. Also garb is much more comfortable to fight in than jeans.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Acorn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:12 pm

12 is a great number for a first practice.

keep up the good work and best of luck!
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby The Great Gigsby » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Yopparai wrote:I think if we implement the rule too quickly it'll scare off too many people.
Encourage good garb from the get-go, it'll make getting everyone on board much easier. Have your prominent members in garb at every practice. Give encouragement to anyone that shows up in garb. Get together with your realm-mates outside of scheduled practice times to hang out and work on A&S (arts and sciences). Even if you just spend 5-10 minutes weaving chain or hand-stitching something and the rest of the time getting drunk and watching House, you're still creating an environment where good garb and good looking gear is the norm.

Good garb is an effective recruitment tool.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Rasheab » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:18 pm

Woo! Yopparai made an account. :angel:

Par, I've met and fought with Yopparai a lot. He's been heading up the non-college part of the Oahu group, since he knows a lot of people here (being from here). He's also been instrumental in finally tracking down good local materials.

As for the college portion of the group, it's a two pronged problem. People are looking for a fun physical activity they can do. Forcing them to get garb I feel will likely push a lot of people into the "not worth it" category. There is also the issue that, being a college realm where a majority of individuals have flown here, we are limited when it comes to resources such as sewing machines.

On the flip side, garb does make us look better, especially for recruiting. Through positive reinforcement I am trying to encourage people to get garb. There are members with garb, and other dedicated members are working on it (for example, Archer's garb is in transit, in the mail). Especially here in Hawaii I push the "medieval = pre-gunpowder eras." That way folks can wear kendo gear, Samoan wraps, or whatever cultural garb they are interested and/or related to. It's slow going, but we're working on it.

P.S. Yopparai has made a bunch of really kickin weapons.
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Yopparai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 am

Aww Thanks Rasheab, appreciate the props on weapons. I'll start talking to my group on an individual basis about garb. I'm commissioning a blacksmith for some mongol lammellar and helm. Also in the process of figuring out how to build a yurt to use as a tent for events. Maybe getting awesome garb myself will help promote it in others, at least I hope it will.
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Salamander » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:27 pm

One thing I found has worked well in the past, is make it worth their while to garb up. A LARP I used to play gave out an extra experience point for being in costume, and another one for being voted for having best garb. You may not be able to give out experience, but I'm sure you can think of something to perk their interests. Maybe an extra respawn or something.

Organize socials, off the field. Show them how to easily make garb. Eris made a cardboard cutout of a quarter tunic. You place it on fabric, cut it out four times, sew it, and BAM! Instant tunic. You can do the same with haks too. You can show them how to cut it out at the same time, and at least share what sewing machines you have in the group. This way, you are not only creating an opportunity for them to make garb, but you are also fostering friendships between everyone, and strengthening the group. If you can lock them in to the group off the field, you pretty much have them on the field, and don't have to worry so much about them losing interest eventually.

Also, consider appointing someone head garber/costume designer. Someone who has the experience and know how. That person can help those who don't have garb, those who have trouble making it. Also, if a kid wants to make something advanced and super cool, this person can help with that, maybe even get commissions to make those things.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Yopparai » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Organize socials, off the field. Show them how to easily make garb. Eris made a cardboard cutout of a quarter tunic. You place it on fabric, cut it out four times, sew it, and BAM! Instant tunic. You can do the same with haks too. You can show them how to cut it out at the same time, and at least share what sewing machines you have in the group. This way, you are not only creating an opportunity for them to make garb, but you are also fostering friendships between everyone, and strengthening the group. If you can lock them in to the group off the field, you pretty much have them on the field, and don't have to worry so much about them losing interest eventually.

Also, consider appointing someone head garber/costume designer. Someone who has the experience and know how. That person can help those who don't have garb, those who have trouble making it. Also, if a kid wants to make something advanced and super cool, this person can help with that, maybe even get commissions to make those things.
One thing I found has worked well in the past, is make it worth their while to garb up. A LARP I used to play gave out an extra experience point for being in costume, and another one for being voted for having best garb. You may not be able to give out experience, but I'm sure you can think of something to perk their interests. Maybe an extra respawn or something.

I will respond to this by forwarding it to Rasheab.........Ya Rasheab guy who has experience and stuff! :finger:

As a side note, is that a real book Salamander? if it is I want one for my coffee table.
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kraesh » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Yopparai wrote::finger:

The finger was kinda unnecessary in my opinion. Salamander gave you some good advice that I think should be followed, in fact, I think I'm going to bring it up at the next Ered Duath Summit Council meeting. By "someone with more experience and know how" she probably wasn't trying to insult you. Just take the advice and don't be a douche. On the other hand, yes talk to Rasheab about it. He is your realm leader is he not? Have him start instituting some garb classes as well as some bonuses for having garb like not being able to call light unless you are in garb.

Oh, and I want a copy of the book too. And if I need to be a goblyn in order to do that, then I can accommodate for that, being a changeling and all... :D

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Salamander pretty much said what I was trying to, but much more succinctly.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Rasheab » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:18 am

Kraesh, Yoppari is in general pretty chill. I think that finger was at me (not Salamander), because I have "experience" and junk.

(Yoppari is grumpy because his recruting efforts are paying off, and he lives far enough away that he can't hoist all the logistics off on me.)

P.S. WOO! Second Hawaii realm!
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Yopparai » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding, the finger was for Rasheab. It was not meant seriously. I would think by now he knows the measure of my personality and can understand it was meant in jest, with much expectation of repercussions.
In summary Salamander, I apologize if you felt that was directed at you in any way. and thank you for the effort you put into such a detailed response.
I truly appreciate it
Rasheab, I thank you for your understanding and acceptance
Kraesh, because I try to fulfill others expectations of myself :fingers: but i mean it in the nicest way possible
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Isk » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 pm

A few approaches to encouraging garb on the field I have seen are:
  • After 2-4 practices, a person not in garb can only fight single blue.
  • People not in garb are not permitted to call 'light' or 'garb' on any hit.
  • Reward systems giving them a start, such as a nice looking tabard for regular effort and attendance.
Having your vets wearing good garb is a really helpful motivator as long as new people are encouraged to emulate them. Otherwise new folks can feel pretentious and get shy of putting on good garb.

Being in clothing that is different from what you wear to work or school helps people get their head in the right place and take the activity more seriously, as in any other sport. It also tells people walking by that you are really serious about this, will be here again next week and increases the chance they will stop for a little while, which is when you step over and recruit them.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Salamander » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:40 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Your-Eating ... 0595002366

Pish, a blizzard broke my internets, so I didn't see this until way after everybody made friends again. Funny how I could say it more succinctly, but my post was longer.....

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Postby Yopparai » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank You Salamander, book purchased and on its way. The reveiws others left were entertaining as well.
Sorry you missed out on the conversation due to a blizzard, (I want a blizzard, may i borrow yours?) in repayment for your awesome book selection I'd be willing to give more people the finger so you wouldn't feel as if you missed out too much.

Let me know, fingers ready,
Yopparai
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby DJordan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:47 am

Isk wrote:A few approaches to encouraging garb on the field I have seen are:
[list][*]After 2-4 practices, a person not in garb can only fight single blue.
[*]People not in garb are not permitted to call 'light' or 'garb' on any hit.
That is not punishment.
At all.
Squire to Sir Shino
DJordan
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 22 Apr 2010

Postby Salamander » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Shall we tie them down and beat them? I'd be up for it, but the peasants might revolt, and it is just too cold for that **** right now.

It can be quite frustrating, when everyone else in your realm is sword/boarding, or arching, while you just have your little stick. I don't mind that fact that they don't get to call light though. Newbs should try and take everything at first. Make no enemies, give you time to calibrate to the game, and makes you be better at swording stuff.

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Purp wrote:
Isk wrote:A few approaches to encouraging garb on the field I have seen are:
  • After 2-4 practices, a person not in garb can only fight single blue.
  • People not in garb are not permitted to call 'light' or 'garb' on any hit.
That is not punishment.
At all.

How do you figure?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby DJordan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 am

I think that if someone is pushed away from the sport because they dont want to wear garb at practice, I suffer, and everyone suffers. I just want people to fight if they dont want to wear garb oh well at least we have someone to fight.
I support garb 100%, I love it, I think it's great, and I wear it. Just like at events, garb is a requirement, and it should be.
Telling a new kid to use single blue because he doesn't have garb isn't a bad thing. fighting single blue will improve shot placement, and teach punch blocking.
Personaly, I love single blue, I think it is a lot of fun, and while working with it my reaction time has improved.
I don't see why single blue would ever be a bad thing.
Squire to Sir Shino
DJordan
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 22 Apr 2010

Postby Salamander » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 am

Eh, it prolly has something to do with the fact that most newbs that one snares have a distressing tendency to want to play with the big boy toys, such as the reds, spears, or other such shiney weapons. Single blue isn't a bad thing, per se, it's just not as heroic or as glamorous as some people want. I suppose it could drive away people, but if they are the sort of people who are driven away just by being encouraged to wear garb, then how long would they have stayed fighting anyways? Either way, that is why you also reward them for their garb efforts. The cookie, if you will.

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Postby Yopparai » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Hmm, I'm not certain I can limit people to single blue for not having garb. There are quite a few people who have reds of their own but, no garb yet. I cant exactly tell them they cant use their own weapons right? Especially if I dont have enough blues to go around. As a side note I refuse to make any more for awhile. 20+ weapons in a month and I'm afraid of getting hooked on dap fumes, or ending up a bug-eyed drooling retard. So unless someone starts sending me children with a high I.Q. to counteract the effects of Dap. Nope not making anymore weapons till summer.
I do like the reward idea because 1: its positive 2: you related it to cookies and I'm dieting
we just need to get our practices more organized in order to have such controlled measures to them. right now it's normally a few people training in the corner. Half the fighters in single duels and the other half in free-for-all.
Yopparai
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Purp wrote:I think that if someone is pushed away from the sport because they dont want to wear garb at practice, I suffer, and everyone suffers. I just want people to fight if they dont want to wear garb oh well at least we have someone to fight.
I support garb 100%, I love it, I think it's great, and I wear it. Just like at events, garb is a requirement, and it should be.
Telling a new kid to use single blue because he doesn't have garb isn't a bad thing. fighting single blue will improve shot placement, and teach punch blocking.
Personaly, I love single blue, I think it is a lot of fun, and while working with it my reaction time has improved.
I don't see why single blue would ever be a bad thing.

THEY see it as a punishment and YOU know that they're improving basic skills and weapon control. So, they want to get garb and do it AND they learn a thing or two about single sword.

Win-win, homie.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Recruitment Ideas