Starting In School

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Starting In School

Postby Malive » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm

I was wondering If its aloud to start a group in a high school? Have it be a club or sport?
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 20 Mar 2011
Realm: Pike
Favorite Fighting Styles: New to this

Re: Starting In School

Postby Caleidah » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:56 am

You are free to start a group. I would advise you to travel a bit and go to some other practices before you do so in order to get a grasp on the rules in person. You will be a club through the school.

For starting a realm, this page has a lot of the basic things that you'll need.
http://geddon.org/index.php/New_Realm_Starter_Kit
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:55 pm

I think its a great idea, High schoolers have a lot of energy for this stuff. Here's what you should do though:
1) Come up with a wavier and require parents' signatures it for the participants
2) Go see other groups, see how its done, ask lots and lots of questions; know the rules.
3) Make sure you have safe equipment-check other groups and see if they can help.
4) Don't forget to have fun.

I'm sure there's more, but I have to go back to training!

Good luck!
-AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 pm

I strongly suggest you get a responsible adult to be your official representative within the school (teacher, coach, etc). They will have much more life knowledge than you about how to navigate negotiations and politicking and will also be able to give your group more credibility with the school authorities and other parents because someone mature and legally responsible will be present to intervene in disputes and supervise for safety.

Good luck.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Malive » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Thanks for your advice it helps. Will start getting the basics of the game down and then hope I can start it up at my school.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:52 pm

And if they won't let you, start it up yourself at a park!
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Malive » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks for all the impute for all of you I will keep it all in mind.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Malive » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Well it don't look like it's going to happen I have posted an event with my school on face book and no one in my school seams like they want to try it out. I have tried all that I can think of to get people to try it out.
If anyone has any Ideas just let me know.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Malive wrote:Well it don't look like it's going to happen I have posted an event with my school on face book and no one in my school seams like they want to try it out. I have tried all that I can think of to get people to try it out.
If anyone has any Ideas just let me know.

Do you have any friends that would help?

If so, make a couple swords, and start dueling outside of your school, like at lunch or something.

I bet you some kids will be like "Oh, dude, what?"
Bevin wrote:He means, "You, sir, are **** stupid. So **** stupid, in fact, that I'm fairly certain you don't know how magnets work, much like your juggalo brethren."
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Realm: Wolfpack

Postby Malive » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for the idea man. I made 4 swords hoping this would happen and figured 4 swords would be an ok start. As far as friends go I have lots of friends but none of them will try it. They say its way to nerdy when I try to explain it to them they just laugh.
I got one of the to try it and he liked it but he will not play at school because he thinks to much what people think of him sadly like most people do.

I was thinking about holding a meeting during lunch and have some pizzas driveled to the school and say anyone who comes to check it out can have free pizza but I don't know how many I should buy. Would suck to buy some and no one shows up also would suck to not have enough for everyone.

What you guys think about that?
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Malive wrote:Thanks for the idea man. I made 4 swords hoping this would happen and figured 4 swords would be an ok start. As far as friends go I have lots of friends but none of them will try it. They say its way to nerdy when I try to explain it to them they just laugh.
I got one of the to try it and he liked it but he will not play at school because he thinks to much what people think of him sadly like most people do.

I was thinking about holding a meeting during lunch and have some pizzas driveled to the school and say anyone who comes to check it out can have free pizza but I don't know how many I should buy. Would suck to buy some and no one shows up also would suck to not have enough for everyone.

That's really quite a shame, in my high school Belegarth would've gone over really well.
I'd come duel you if I could, lmao.

Also, if you're gonna do that, say they *have* to participate in a duel for a slice of pizza :p

Just buy the pizza, and put signs up all over the place saying "Free Pizza outside" and tell them where, just don't tell them they have to participate until they get out there :p
Bevin wrote:He means, "You, sir, are **** stupid. So **** stupid, in fact, that I'm fairly certain you don't know how magnets work, much like your juggalo brethren."
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Malive » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:01 am

Xanthus Adalwulf wrote:
Malive wrote:Thanks for the idea man. I made 4 swords hoping this would happen and figured 4 swords would be an ok start. As far as friends go I have lots of friends but none of them will try it. They say its way to nerdy when I try to explain it to them they just laugh.

That's really quite a shame, in my high school Belegarth would've gone over really well.

Also, if you're gonna do that, say they *have* to participate in a duel for a slice of pizza :p

Yeah I know it sucks. ha I wish you could come duel me it would be lots of fun. That is a good idea. I think if people tried it they would love it. I know I did and do
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:04 am

Malive wrote:
Xanthus Adalwulf wrote:

Yeah I know it sucks. ha I wish you could come duel me it would be lots of fun. That is a good idea. I think if people tried it they would love it. I know I did and do

Hm, ever tried paying your friend to spar you at lunch?

"Brah, 10 bucks if you duel me during lunch period."
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Malive » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:07 am

Ha no never asked that lol. they are smart they would be ok. take the $10 duel 1 time and then quit or make some stupid rule where is has to be at certain spot where no one is at. Most of my friends are way lame and try to act cool lol. but will try it out see what they say.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Xanthus Adalwulf » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:16 am

Malive wrote:Ha no never asked that lol. they are smart they would be ok. take the $10 duel 1 time and then quit or make some stupid rule where is has to be at certain spot where no one is at. Most of my friends are way lame and try to act cool lol. but will try it out see what they say.

Well, 10 bucks for the entire lunch period, 1 duel would be too quick.

(asking a friend would make this easier)
Xanthus Adalwulf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Malive » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 am

Ok will give it a try and see what happens hope all goes good!!
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:32 am

Try nerds.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Galya » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 am

Have you actually shown your friends what we do? It tends to sound weird when you explain it, but if you show them some videos, they might be more willing to try. Pretty much any of the ones Dac puts up from Wolfpack Opener are awesome. Here's a list of them in order from newest to oldest:

2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFfDJKtHzmw

2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dng0hbPLzGA

2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0yIfn2qvhY

2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hzSJGxMfw

The one from '08 is probably my favorite, but it's mainly 'cuz the music is awesome. Some of the newer ones have better shots. I'd say just watch 'em all and decide on your own what you think your friends will like. Obviously, they aren't going to be instant bad-asses like the guys in the vids, but you don't have to let them know that. ;) It might be enough to make them drop their pride and pick up a sword.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:34 am

When I was in high school, the admins would never have sponsored a group as violent as Belegarth. For liability reasons, nobody would have ever endorsed a sword fighting group. What we did instead was create a club centered around an Assassin Game.

Members of the club could carry a bel legal dagger and would get marks from a club officer and then try to assassinate their mark during the school day. Classes were considered "safe zones." Times between classes and lunch periods were fair game for assassinations. People that were interested, would then get introduced to the off-campus Bel group. I thought it was a great way to generate buzz on campus. Public assassinations always garnered a lot of attention.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Shaka Stomp » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Giggles wrote:When I was in high school, the admins would never have sponsored a group as violent as Belegarth. For liability reasons, nobody would have ever endorsed a sword fighting group. What we did instead was create a club centered around an Assassin Game.

Members of the club could carry a bel legal dagger and would get marks from a club officer and then try to assassinate their mark during the school day. Classes were considered "safe zones." Times between classes and lunch periods were fair game for assassinations. People that were interested, would then get introduced to the off-campus Bel group. I thought it was a great way to generate buzz on campus. Public assassinations always garnered a lot of attention.

I am rezzing this old post just to comment.
This is awesome.
I wish I had this opportunity in school.
IT would be awesome to do this with my bel group outside of practice.
People would freak out and say what just happened...then we can invite them to bel. :)
Lachlan_McClung wrote:I have always described Belegarth and mosh-pits the same way: "A strange mix of violence and camaraderie that seems awful and dangerous from the outside, but is really a bunch of people enjoying each others company."
Shaka Stomp
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 May 2008
Realm: Fortriu
Unit: Imperial Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms

Postby Malive » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Well today after school some people from the wrestling team all go together to wrestle after school. I'm on the team so I went to get ready for Reno worlds. I had my step brother come and we brought the 4 swords I have. After we were done wrestling me and my step brother started fighting. Then the others wanted to try it out. And what do you know they liked it. So now in my school I have 5 people in my school that like it so looks like it's a good start. Going to play again tomorrow hope for more people!!
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Good job.

Keep persevering. For every 10-20 people you attempt to recruit, you'll only really retain about 1-3 of them depending on the folks. Eventually, even some of them attrition out due to real life, injuries, boredom/politics, etc.

Keep at it.

I like your pizza idea, and hopefully now that you've got some bodies who are realizing both the entertainment and physical activity aspects of the sport, hopefully it will be seen as less nerdy/stigma to participate, even if its just for a free slice of pizza and they all make fun of you after they leave. At least they are trying it.

You might also attempt to get a liked teacher in on the action to see if they can persuade anyone to at least give it a shot out of sincere interest or perhaps an attempt to just hit the teacher. Have your principal do it and every trouble maker / jock will get in on it to see if they can make him bleed.

Good luck.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Acorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:46 am

malive, you should see if you can get those guys to come to the PSU event. a bunch of fighters will be there and they can see some top notch stuff. if not that, at least see if you can get them to come to Pyke or Nomad' practice sometime.

good luck man!
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Malive » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Where and when is the PUS event and what time? Yeah talking to the Principal at my school on the 13th to see if I can start it or not so hope all goes well! If not will just have it at a park by my house after school always works :).
Thanks for all your help guys.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Acorn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 pm

info is on the pyke boards. late april i think? and then if they like that, War of the Gardens and Western Wars are shortly after.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Malive » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Ok cool thanks
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Osric/Mageta » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 pm

When I was in High School we actually started a club as well. At first attendance sucked and by sucked, I mean it was just me and a friend. But we weren't too shocked or upset by it because we went expecting it. So then we decided to use the gym every morning to beat the crap out of each other and next thing you know we've 15 people showing up for the next meeting because we tended to draw a crowd when we were practicing. Then another friend of mine attended Samhain and got some killer footage which he then made into a video announcement (dunno if your school has those or not) and we got a lot of attention after that. My number one piece of advice is have patience and to stress over and over and over that safety has to come first. It's high school, expect there to be some overzealous violence/stupidity. Also, tempers in high schools tend to flare (all the hormones) so be careful that sword tag doesn't quickly devolve into fist fighting.
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Malive » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Well just got the ok from my school that we can start up the club!! Can't wait we just need to find an adult to come watch so no one gets hurt. I think I have a teacher who will help out.
If anyone has any extra weapons or shields will you let me know asap we need all we can get to start this up thanks.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Awesome!

If gym teachers / other coaches are too busy with sports, see if you can get a history teacher to supervise. They might like it for a whole other reason.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Acorn » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Bakdar makes great weapons. i suggest PMing him and asking about a group deal you and your friends can get or something. He'll be at the PSU event this weekend so if you'll be there Sat. you can meet and chat about it. Congratulations! i'm impressed.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Malive » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Thanks for the idea.
thanks for the guy to contact.
Malive
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Osric/Mageta » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Best of luck dude. I hope you get a whole bunch of people.
Western Uruk-Hai WAAAGH
Ravager
Team Pirate Ninja (since 2010)
Boris took me for a ride at CW14.
Osric/Mageta
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: IN THE BUFF

Postby Damathius » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 am

Malive wrote:I was wondering If its aloud to start a group in a high school? Have it be a club or sport?

hello. i'm kinda having the same problem he did (i was scrolling through all the replies, only to find that he was successful in starting a club). CONGRATULATIONS BTW!

anyways, im trying to start a Belegarth club at my high school. i live in Illinois (idk if that makes a difference?) I talked to my principal about it. We had a meeting together, i printed out a bunch of stuff from the Belegarth website to show her, i had proper documentation, etc etc. She was still kinda iffy about everything, and she asked me if i knew of any other high schools that have acknowledged or accepted Belegarth within their school system.

SO. what im asking for help is, does anyone know of any high schools that have Belegarth in their system? If so, then what exactly did they do to get accepted? Please be specific. Thank you!
Damathius
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2009
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: Longsword, dual blue

Postby Acorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't know any high schools of the top of my head, but there are numerous colleges: Southern Oregon University, Central Oregon Community College, and The University of Oregon being only 3. I know there are lots more, and closer to your area too. You can pm Rocca for more info on how the UO group got started if you want more details.

While those aren't high school groups, all of them follow the basic guide of players ages 16 + with a parental waivers are allowed. So by that token, they are all appropriate for High Schools, have some/can have high school age participants, and are examples of educational institutions condoning and supporting the clubs.

All of those three groups even received club funding so they are directly associated with the colleges.

I'll keep my ears open for any high school groups. Hope that helps!

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Caleidah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Hey Damathius, where are you at in Illinois? Knowledge of that will help us point you toward the nearest realm that can help you out.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Todo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm

There has been a group at Hellgate High in Missoula, MT that has been successfully run for going on six years now. It takes funding, dedication, and a metric **** ton of patience. PM me if you want to know more.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Acorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:57 pm

woo hoo! Go Montana! That's awesome Todo.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Damathius » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Caleidah wrote:Hey Damathius, where are you at in Illinois? Knowledge of that will help us point you toward the nearest realm that can help you out.

I'm in the Crystal Lake area. I believe there's a realm close by.

Todo wrote:There has been a group at Hellgate High in Missoula, MT that has been successfully run for going on six years now. It takes funding, dedication, and a metric **** ton of patience. PM me if you want to know more.

lol nice! I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure what some of the slang is. I assume PM means private message?
Damathius
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Damathius » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Thank you for all the responses btw! I wasn't expecting much help at all!
Damathius
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Damathius wrote:
Caleidah wrote:Hey Damathius, where are you at in Illinois? Knowledge of that will help us point you toward the nearest realm that can help you out.

I'm in the Crystal Lake area. I believe there's a realm close by.

Pretty sure Dunharrow is the closest realm to you. PM Big King Jimmy, Agneezy or Jay Hellhammer. Those are the first three in that area that come to mind, if you're interested in checking the realm out.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Acorn » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

Damathius wrote:I assume PM means private message?

you are correct.

Damathius wrote:Thank you for all the responses btw! I wasn't expecting much help at all!

Despite what lurking in Gen. Mayhem may lead you to believe, the collective key board cowboys of Bel CAN be nice.

Go us! And good luck with the club thing buddy.

(leaves the boards in shame realizing that her website company job keeps her lurking here allllll dddaaaaaayyyyy.)

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Orokusan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:28 am

It was a small day but here are the Hellgate Gladiators in action. Not bad for a state with a single realm!
Sir Oroku Norinaga, KBMC, OGO
Tertiary Knight of the High Code
"You do not have to be a squire to start learning to be a knight. Take your time and make good decisions."-Uric
Orokusan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 18 May 2005
Realm: Sygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Florentine, Spear

Postby Reafan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 am

Hey Damathius,

I'm right down the road from Crystal lake off of 31 in Carpentersville/Algonquin.

When it's warm there is a practice in Elgin for Dunharrow once a week, one in Batavia, and one in Rockford. Those are the three main practices.

Right now there's a practice for the first 3 Saturdays of every month during the winter in Dekalb and it's 5$ and most saturdays at a church in Romeoville.

You can head out with Afro and I to a practice in the first week of March if you'd like.

Drop me a line. I've only been fighting for about 6 months and I know how it is to be new. I'll help you out in the area as much as I am able :)

Lates
Reafan
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2011
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fighting

Return to Recruitment Ideas