Condition of Belegarth realms?

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Condition of Belegarth realms?

Postby Cib » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:15 am

I don't know where else to put this thread, I wasn't sure that it would get the right kind of attention in General Mayhem. These are some sort of pessimistic and sobering questions I have.

My main question is: "How many Belegarth realms are thriving?"

By "thriving" I mean:
-A realm with a large amount of active members
-Regularly gaining new recruits to the point of maintaining membership levels (not in decline) or in growth.
-With ample leadership, so that even when the current leadership leave the realm will continue to at least exist for another 5 years or so.

Which leads me to ask: "What percentage of realms could be called struggling realms?"

By "struggling" I mean:
-Low regular membership
-Difficulty maintaining membership levels or growth
-Little to no upcoming leadership (realm will likely flounder and die when current leader moves on)
-These realms my be new startups with a future or long established realms realms

Which makes me ask: "How many realms are in decline?"

By "in decline" I mean:
-Decreasing membership, ether no new recruits or not enough to replace turnover.
-Possibly no leadership

I suppose that could lead to the question: "What is the realm turnover rate?" we all know that fighter turnover is fairly high, but what about realms? How long to they usually last? What makes the big ones last longer?

Part of the reason I have been asking this is I have been wondering if there might be a better model four my local aria than the traditional local realm model. I would love to hear even your speculative thoughts.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Re: Condition of Belegarth realms?

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:46 am

I'll speak for St. Louis is saying that there are a couple of thriving realms out here:

Arnor: been around for 10+ years, fed from Amtgard, Dagorhir, and Washington University Combat Club. Arnor is the melting pot of foam fighting in St. Louis. They just knighted 2 knights and have plenty of involvement from young and dedicated people. Strong leadership from Angmarth and Knight's Council.

Esgaroth: Dag realm on the opposite end of the city from Arnor. We've been around since around 2008, founded by 5 people and are currently in the midst of training high school and post-high school kids how to fight. Led by Olos and Black Company. Core Event Going Fighters: 7, Total practice attendance: 20-26

Wisp and his Amtgard guys are around in St. Louis and they've been around for a long time. I haven't been to their park, but I'd guess at 10-20 out there.

Washington University Combat Club: As with all university foam fighting groups, this waxes and wanes depending on leadership. I'd say that this goes from thriving to struggling dependant on the year/leadership.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Fangesta » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Your question is a tricky one to answer for my Realm. De-Treba Mora is in a SMALL military town.

Our numbers range from 20-60, the problem being deployments there. We never fall below the minimum membership requirements, which in a town with a population of 11000 that's some pretty impressive numbers.

There was a realm previous to ours, NO we are not thrived from that previous realm, we started brand new and 20 miles from where we are now. That previous realm fell apart due to impatience by it's leaders because of the lull in membership. So to accomodate everyone we moved to where the previous realm held it's practices. Our realm started on the military base, not everyone can get there.

Rumbeard and myselves are not moving away from here, but we do have people we keep in mind for next leadership should we need to step down. We look at choosing those that are not going to be sent away, that are always growing mentally, emotionally, and physically, and that have strong ties to the community.

so even though our numbers fluctuate, we are a strong realm and will continue to carry on.

the point of my ramblings is to show that every situation is different and that has to be taken into account. You have to step back and watch the whole situation as if you're an outsider.

:pirate:
Say it...Say it....HARRRRR
Fangesta
Mercenary
Mercenary

Realm: Highest bidder--PIRATE
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
Florentine
Short sword

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 pm

Anduril is thriving and has enough leadership to take over if I croak. Every year is bigger and better than the last and I think we will see practices of 80 people before I move. We hit 42 attendees at a practice last Friday or Sunday (can't remember which).

Also in the Southern California area, thriving with a large pool of leadership and from oldest to newest:
Aggelgorod-Dagorhir, Andor, Sword Coast

I haven't asked about Desert Wind or Blackwater lately, but hopefully they are still good: they are definitely attending events though, especially Blackwater in solid numbers.

We also have many new realms popping up: Sandspire had a debut in February, and a new one in Costa Mesa has a debut this Saturday. They are starting out with a bang and hopefully the community will give them the support they need to stay in business.

Honestly, I feel pretty lucky to be where I am. Sometimes it seems like there are too many groups to count!

On this note, I really want to stress how important it is to visit young and old realms regularly. We all succede when there is a strong community.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Kael Prime » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Fortriu is a thriving realm. Fortriu was basically a dead realm that no one even knew about(and were still very not know off) but now that we have the help of Bear from Sword Coast, we have been thriving. We have a NOW stable ladder of leadership in our realm. We average about 22-23 fighters a practice, 35 or more if all our members are present and the "more" is because we have at least 5 people trying. We have three stable units here, The Imperial Guard, The Element and Witherwood Company. We advertise ourselfs pretty well at the park we fight at which draws people to come and see whats going on( which is why we always have like five people trying.) Our only downfall is lack of garb, weapon covers and going to events. But other than that in the nexts few years you should see more of us Fortriu folks around.
Fifth Knight of the Western Flame.
Knight of Ren of The Sith Empire .
Shadow master of Sunspear
The Pale Demon
The Original Silverhelm
Kael Prime
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2010
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: The Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Kungfu S&B

Postby Blitz. » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:14 pm

To Support what kael said, im also from Fortriu, And its been around for 3 now. For the first two and a half years, we had 6 members. That was in. Then we grew to about 12. Now within the Last 6 months we've over doubled in size.

Location Location Location. Thats all i have to say lol.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Torry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:19 am

I'm from Numenor, which traditionally has been quite a large realm. Our numbers have been slightly lower the past couple of years, but declines in attendance are going to happen. I can outline what seems to be helpful.

First off, we're in a college town, so there are always fresh faces to lure in. In order to pull in as many of those people as we can, one of our weekly practices is located in a high foot traffic area on campus. If you can find a good location that will allow you to fight and you can draw a crowd, work with your realm to move to that location.

Training: not all new fighters are going to want to bang their heads against the wall trying to figure out how to not die. If you can take them under your wing and teach them, they are more likely to stick around.

Leadership: Luckily, Numenor's leadership is quite durable. Even as knights move/retire, there are always new squires to take their place. This is much easier in a larger, well established realm. If you are in a smaller realm, you may need to be a leader or be a voice in the ear of the already established leadership.

From what I have seen of some local realms, often the trouble maintaining attendance comes down to personality conflicts and drama. This sometimes resulting in people branching off to make another, even smaller, realm. Once that happens, it is very difficult for either realm to stick around. If you can, try to encourage people to resolve their person conflicts when they aren't at practice. Nothing is going to scare away a bunch of potential new fighters than people bickering.
Sir Torrence Yrrot
Brother Librarian, BOF
The guy killing your line with a glaive.
Torry
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Jabber » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:37 am

I'm from Niflheim. We are a community realm of mostly college students. We started three years ago. This is my first year but from what I understand there were 3-7 steady members before. This year brought a bunch of new, dedicated recruits, including myself. We have strong leadership and are currently in the midst of changing positions because our leader is going to grad school. Our event attendance varies depending on the cost and school.

I would say, for our size and and the young stage of our realm, we are doing fairly well. We have lots of plans for new recruits and ideas for many other aspects of the realm we intend to implement in the upcoming year.
Jabber Pleezed.
Jabber
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2010
Realm: Niflheim

Postby Tobia Blackthorn » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:49 pm

New Dawn is part of the Southern Marches. We've been struggling a bit. I'm currently the leader in all functions. In fact I plan to talk to the actual leader about taking over, since I'm already leading practices and dealing with contacts and such.

We're definitely struggling with recruits. We usually have a max of 5 people, but there have been days when I just have to call it a day after an hour. You can only do so much when you just have one other person show up. Granted, since we're all college students who do not have the support of the college...having to practice elsewhere...a lot of our members go home to places once a month or so. We got a new guy who has a lot of connections, who I hope will help with recruiting. Honestly though, if we don't get better turn-outs by Fall, I'm going to recommend just carpooling over to Auburn, 45-mins away, for practices at RavenFeast.
Duke of New Dawn of Southern Marches

Proud member of House Blackthorn
Tobia Blackthorn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 12 Sep 2009
Realm: New Dawn of Southern Marches
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Spear

Postby NessiePop » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:21 am

Crimson Fields holds steady at around 15-20 fighters, with a dedicated core of 10 or so, who almost never miss a week. Those are mostly my guys. Our current leader is joining the military at some point, and we've got at least two people around qualified for the job.

Luinmir: Honestly, if I lived 45 mins from RavenFeast, I would still practice some days, but schedule that on a different day of the week from theirs, so you could still make their practices too. I live 2 1/2 hours away, and I still try to get up there every coupla months. Those are some kick-ass folks, for real.
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:51 pm

Dunharrow is an interesting realm....

Our average practice is 5. Yes 5. Me, Morbian, Moxk, Mel and Turin. Last year we got 2 new fighters, one of which made it out to an event. That was the first new fighter at an event we'd had in several years.

Now at an event, we have like 20 to 30 members for realm battles. The descrepency is 2 fold.

1. Our realm is spread over a very large area, so not everyone comes to realm practice. Our major hubs are Elgin and Dekalb IL. Dekalb did not have a practice last year, when it did it averaged 10 fighters, then trailed off.

2. A large percentage (>75) of our members are 9-5ers with real jobs, sometimes families as well. This prevents members from coming out on a regular basis.

Also, financial hardship has hit our realm hard, with several members that regularly show up to practice unemployed. Turin is also in basic training right now.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Shepherd » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 am

Our realm of Thorum started out as a Dag realm that was, really, the only one in the western suburbs of Chicago for a couple years. It switched to Bel a year before I started practicing there. It was really a unit practice of the Thorion Raiders, and last year, we decided to make it a realm so as to be more inclusive of outside folks coming to fight.

We have a large amount of young fighters as we are right across the street from the local High School. At the end of last year and the beginning practices this year, we have had 10-15 fighters on a regular basis and have been growing that number with more and more vets coming out (including Murdoc and others from HD, Hydra and The Order.)

I would say we are really starting to thrive as we have tightened up the leadership roles and put alot of time in off field for recruiting and weapons building. We have instituted having visiting vets give a short lesson a skill or technique. We were able to get 4 out to Spring war and Pack opener, which is great considering alot of our guys are in high school.

I find the enthusiasm is infectious. The more effort we put in, the more excited that everyone gets.
I was born in a desert, raised in a lion's den
My number one occupation, stealing women from their men

Captain of Thorum

Clan of the Hydra Guard

Shepherd of the hills of Gamehenge.
Shepherd
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Feb 2010
Realm: Thorum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ball and Wall

Postby Titan G » Tue May 03, 2011 6:35 pm

i would say this is also a very fluid question. right now by your criteria dur demarion is in decline. however as the summer months come in tennessee we hit our stride after beltaine and really turn on as a realm until equinox and octfest. after those events we could probably be clasiffied as a "dead" realm and then we will pick up again on the same cycle
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Return to Recruitment Ideas