Vendors as Recruitment Tools to Events

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Would you be interested in seeing this vendor at an event?

1 Not at all interested
No votes
2 Slightly Interested
No votes
3 Interested
No votes
4 I would definitely see their wares
100%
5 I might purchase something
No votes
6 I would definitely purchase something
No votes
7 I would love to buy but I cannot afford
No votes
8 I would spend less than $40
No votes
9 I would spend $40 or more
No votes
10 I would spend $100 or more
No votes

Total votes : 1

Vendors as Recruitment Tools to Events

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Basically, I am looking to expand a multi-day fighting event to have additional cultural or medieval/fantasy society elements in it. The idea is to have something more than just fighting and camping in order to broaden the appeal. I'd love advice from those who have experience with accomplishing something like this. Similar to the SCA, I feel that the addition of vendors to events may be useful to our organization in terms of broadening its appeal and expanding our culture. Of course, this means I need to find vendors that would be happy at our events, and that means matching up a lot of criteria.

So first question:
This vendor was found at an SCA event with about 130 attendees:
http://www.faireladiesfairelords.com/shop/index.php
What do you think of this vendors goods and prices?
Would you be interested in seeing them at an event?
Do you think this vendor would be successful selling items at a Bel event with 200-300 attendance?

I appreciate your honest feedback.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Vendors as Recruitment Tools to Events

Postby warwell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:27 am

It looks like they specialize in garb. I'm pretty much set in that department so I probably would not buy much from them if I were at your event. I would like to see a merchant with various odds & ends. Off the top of my head, I could use some feast gear, leather frogs for Bel weapons, and candles (esp. good beeswax candles).

In addition to asking potential attendees if they are interested in that particular merchant, ask what kind of goods they are interested in purchasing.

YIS,

Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:16 am

Poll is broken

Travelling to events pretty much sucks up all the money I have available to spend on my hobby. Add troll, beer, water, bits of food for that weekend outside of feast and I'm spent.

I would be very, very hard pressed to buy anything from a vendor unless it were very unique/cool/affordable item. Most of my garb/accoutrements come from thrift stores that I then doctor up or outright make myself.

Now, if you had someone selling food at the event, then they might get some of my money since they'd save me from having to go out and get it, haul it w/ my gear, and cook it; but, it would have to be affordable (and tasty) and not at carnival prices. The hosting realm throwing a pancake breakfast on Saturday morning w/ bacon and coffee would absolutely get my money every single time. I've been crunching numbers to test it out at our next weekend event (2013) and it should be doable for about $3 per person for all-you-can-eat pancakes and coffee and a set number of bacon slices. Being able to cook it on site or drive it in from someone's house that's close to the field is a must.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:38 am

Most renfair vendor have highly over inflated prices to cover the overhead of travelling around the country to sell. That particular vendors prices are very high. 50-70 dollars for a tunic. I am sure the quality is good, but someone could just as easily buy one from Juniper for 15-20.

It sounds like what you really want to do is have a renfaire, and have an event at it. Which is what I would suggest if you want to do something like this.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 am

I can't imagine putting on a Renfaire. I just want the Bel community to be large enough to sustain a few of our own craftspeople (Forged Foam, Iron Liege, Armorers, Clothiers). I think vendors might be a neat addition, whether it is food trucks or period drinking vessels. I think this may allow more people to participate in a community that is heavily combat oriented. I also think it might make events look more professional. Chaos wars has had some vendor stuff before, and I am looking to replicate that in slightly larger fashion if I can. I agree with you though, I think this lady is priced to high for our crew.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:14 am

Sorry, had to post and didn't have time to finish. I agree some vendors would be cool. My wife vendors at CW, so I know it can be done. Cheaper garb, weapons, that stuff would be great. I also think that food vendors would likely be a huge hit. FB and crew had their event a couple times at a Renfaire and there was a guy who sold turkey legs, and he sold a ton of them.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Xavier » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:40 am

I'm always excited to see new vendors out at events because it's a sign that interest in our sport is growing and it's something to check out when off the field. However, I don't think this particular vendor would do well due to her high prices and low selection. Try posting a few others that you find.
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Postby Caleidah » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:I can't imagine putting on a Renfaire. I just want the Bel community to be large enough to sustain a few of our own craftspeople (Forged Foam, Iron Liege, Armorers, Clothiers). I think vendors might be a neat addition, whether it is food trucks or period drinking vessels. I think this may allow more people to participate in a community that is heavily combat oriented. I also think it might make events look more professional. Chaos wars has had some vendor stuff before, and I am looking to replicate that in slightly larger fashion if I can. I agree with you though, I think this lady is priced to high for our crew.

Big events, Okfest out here namely, pull vendors. Anything from Lady Feri (food, good times) to Warpaint Artisans (custom warpaint and gear art, along with other things) to Forged Foam and a slug of garb makers and armorers.

Just need to find people out your way that are willing to put up with the ordeal of setting up shop and not necessarily selling anything.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Return to Recruitment Ideas