Recruitment in Europe through visiting

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Recruitment in Europe through visiting

Postby Haardgrim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:55 am

There are more and more Belegarth groups popping up in Europe: Ireland, Germany, Italy, and Serbia, which is cool. Soon we will be able to make real events (at real castles, possibly). What's missing in Europe compared to the US is the presence of more experienced fighters to show different fighting styles, give displays of excellent fighting, and generally inspire people. So if any of you US veterans (or less-veterans, too) are making a trip to Europe, please contact the relevant realms about meeting up. I for one would be happy to arrange for as big a fight as possible, show a visitor around Munich and possibly (time permitting) provide a couch.

-Haardgrim Bonebreaker
Monachium, Germany.
In or around Munich, Germany? Come fight us! (No German required)
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-1998
Realm: Monachium

Re: Recruitment in Europe through visiting

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:46 am

I want to go to Europe! That is so cool. Good luck Europe Belegarth!

http://geddon.org/Category:Realms#International_Realms

Make sure all the new realms update themselves on Geddon.org.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Prysm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:59 am

Hi, I am in the process of helping a new realm stand up in Scotland. All sorts of logistical problems are arising, not just the lack of experienced fighters.

Currently I am the only one with any experience at all within Belegarth that is in the group, and I will be leaving for good in a months time. Luckily, the initial group of players have some previous experience they can bring to the table (ex fencers/archers/seamstresses/mostly military) that should help a lot.

Luckily, they have the support of some very experience fighters and foam forgers to lean on, and Skype may play a very big part of their training! Where there is a will, there's a way!

The hardest part for them will be sourcing the correct foam to forge with, but I was lucky in my last trip to BFTR and managed to score some broken weapons for them to deconstruct, and two mostly built weapons (1 sword, 1 dagger) and a few arrowheads for them to finish. It will give them a little bit of experience of how weapons go together...
I have noticed that most foam forging videos mention specifics like Walmart camping mats, and veloura (spelling?) and sourcing them here is not going to be easy... For any of you who know Scottish geography, we are halfway between Inverness and Aberdeen, and right in the middle of nowhere!

Can anyone recommend alternatives that can be found in the UK? The three nearest big stores are Homebase, Tescos and Asda. There is also two upholstery shops within reasonable driving distance. Also, the glue like shoegoo, and Dap - I know there are similar items here, but presenting the group with a list of 'x, y, z' rather than just a list of 'flexible polymer glue, etc' should help them be up and building faster...

I am not in any way an experienced fighter, only learned enough about foam forging to know I don't know enough, and enough about the rules to play, but not to marshal... I do however have enthusiasm, and that has been enough to get this started.
I thought I would come to the experts for the real advice! Then hopefully, when I leave, I will have passed on my meagre knowledge, and handed them the means to become fully functioning with expert help from all of you...

Once they have a realm name/identity, I will get them on here (yes - they are that new and shiney!) to start liaising themselves. They have the intro/meet and greet tomorrow evening and should have the basics sorted then and be on the boards in the week.

Prysm Stormfallen
Mananan
Prysm Stormfallen
Prysm
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2011
Realm: Isle of Mananan
Unit: Mananan
Favorite Fighting Styles: Combat Archery

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 am

Though I can't speak on where or what the name of such foam and glue will be in the UK, here's a brief list of commonly used blade foams (there are more, but I am unfamiliar with them):
  • 2# Polyethylene
  • 2# Polyurethane
  • 2# Minicell/Microcell (a.k.a MC)

As for glue, what you want is a waterproof contact cement. Though DAP is the most notable here in North America, I'm sure there is a UK equivalent, though the availability of it may depend on how strict your environmental regulations are in your region (contact cement doesn't play well with nature). It's often used for applying cabinet and countertop facing, so you can find it typically in hardware/DIY stores. Alternatively, you can also use outdoor grade carpet tape (double sided tape) to construct your weapons, though it doesn't behave as well in extreme temperatures and is not waterproof, so getting your weapons wet will be more damaging.

Hope that helps,

Thurat

EDIT: Just realized that this is in the Recruitment Ideas forum. When you have new questions, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum (e.g., weapons questions in the Foamsmithing forum, armor questions in the Armory forum, etc.).
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Prysm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks for the info - will pass it on and hopefully it will help speed up the process for them to get personal weapons. :)
Prysm Stormfallen
Prysm
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2011
Realm: Isle of Mananan
Unit: Mananan
Favorite Fighting Styles: Combat Archery

Return to Recruitment Ideas