I have a Question ?

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

I have a Question ?

Postby Rjhanes » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:47 am

Hello, Belegarth community my name is Aaron and I have a few friends that want to start our own group but like its different... Like we are wanting more then just you know going into the local park and having our fights we are wanting to go beyond that and put you in an environment that makes you feel like your actually in the battle or the story as in lore and that would take structures, people, and money but my question is would people even want to be in that kind of environment cause like i said we want you to feel like your there in the 16th century so we would be constructing alot of stuff for the cause not only for the battle but e area for live Celtic music, food, arts,crafting etc and it wouldn't only be for certain set dates we would actually make like a camp for people to stay at for a weekend etc... and then the events that we would have we could have them for a whole week.. Im just wondering the expenses and if people would even show up?
Rjhanes
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Jul 1996
Realm: Belegarth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mid-evil fast paced

Re: I have a Question ?

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:44 am

I'll try to unpack those a bit.

1) Do we want more medieval arts & sciences in the sport: yes, many of us are trying to do these things, make the experience more immersive, and allow people to participate in ways other than combat.

2) Do people go to camping events and do this? Yes, we do. When we go to events the cultural standard is that we dress in garb at all times and if possible have medieval camping gear. HOWEVER, Belegarth is a bit like the poorman's SCA, we want to look good, but we are made up of poor high school and college kids first, so we don't turn away our constituents for not having medieval camps or for having 16th century buttons on 13th century pants.

3) Costs: In my experience, looking good takes a lot of money and time. As for running events, you have to think of the costs of the site (public or private), bathroom availability (renting units?), and insurance (in this era - you need to have liability insurance for most public and some private sites). The extras are things like prizes for tournaments, food for feasts, loaner weapons for new people, printed materials, ect. If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Caleidah » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:50 am

As far as the lore and story side, you are not going to find that at large in Belegarth. There are other LARPs that are more what you are after, though. Mind if I ask where you are located?
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Rjhanes » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:24 am

Thank you guys so much and im located in Manchester Tennessee i mean we have been looking for other Larp groups and we cant seem to find one that is like what we want you we dont want to just play in the park you know we want to play on the battle grounds of the 16th century so we wanted to make it feel like you were actually there
Rjhanes
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Jul 1996
Realm: Belegarth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mid-evil fast paced

Postby Caleidah » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:06 pm

By and large, Bel is not extremely immersive. You'll have moments here and there where everyone really gets into it, but you're looking for something else.

You can hunt around on this page and make a post if need be to find what you're looking for. But, if you are in the market for hardcore, fast paced fighting, Belegarth will be what you are looking for. I know there is a realm in Bowling Green, not sure where else in the area.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LARP/
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Sir Par » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Also the 16th century isn't medieval. (I'm a medieval historian, I would know.) The Medieval period in Britain (our most common reckoning since you know, America came from there) ended in 1485 when the Tudors took the throne. There are arguments that the medieval period ended previously to that on the continent. 16th century is the Early Modern period. What you want to do is send us back to the 12 or 13th century. 1215 was a good year.
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Recruitment Ideas