Kickstarter for new unit on Oregon coast

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Kickstarter for new unit on Oregon coast

Postby VictoriaKye » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:16 am

We recently moved to Coos Bay on the Oregon coast and you know what? There's no Belegarth unit over here! The nearest one is in Eugene, a ninety minute drive from here. I'm seriously having medieval withdrawals. I need your help to build a stash of starter weapons and fund an advertising campaign to recruit new fighters in our area.

What kind of information should I put on a Kickstarter to raise money for supplies? Should I give a quick rundown of what Belegarth is? I want to do this right. Anybody got some input?
Kye Victoria
VictoriaKye
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 18 May 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Re: Kickstarter for new unit on Oregon coast

Postby Grixis » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

You would probably want to use Go Fund Me instead of Kick Starter.

It will allow you to keep the post up for as long as you want and accept donations, rather than the All or nothing within 30 days set up KickStarter has.
Grixis

Postby Sir Anastasia » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:21 am

One of the most important parts for a successful funding campaign is to have rewards that people would want.

The rewards have to be things that people donating will want, so you need to ask yourself...who do I think will donate? If it is Bel people outside your area, then you need rewards that they would want. If it is non-fighting family and friends or strangers, then you need rewards anyone would want.

Maybe the easiest thing would be to have meal tickets for a BBQ Fighting Meet and Greet...people donate a small amount to eat for free at a social gathering that introduces them to Bel. Bel fighters like fighting and could be available to teach, new people like food, you kill two birds with one stone by having one reward that is also a recruitment event for your new realm. Hot dogs, chips, and soda are cheap - you should be able to do this reward and get profit (especially since you will know how many people bought meal tickets).

Basically, you need to think..."what would make me donate to this cause?"
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Rocca » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 am

I used to live in Charleston (right at the mouth of Coos Bay) and before you start your kickstarter you should look into the medieval community that is already there. It is a HEAVILY SCA area. Make sure that you talk to them - they are nice guys who fight in a part in North Bend (or at least they did back when I was there) and they are very active in their community. They, rather than a kickstarter, may be your best bet for getting recruits, and therefore people to help with gear. Once you have a community of Bel-interested people, starting your kickstarter may be easier.
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby VictoriaKye » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:19 am

I'm actually on Cape Arago just north of Charleston, Rocca. It's a small world. We spend most weekends down at the warf crabbing and fishing.

I'll have to look into the SCA in town and see what they have going on. Although, I find that most of the people who do Belegarth (in my experience) don't like the SCA much because of their strict rules concerning authenticity. Bel is blessedly loose in that sense and allows far more creativity.

I like the idea of a BBQ Meet and Greet. I'm a die-hard party planner and that's right up my alley. If you're in the western states and are familiar with the event known as Samhain in Ogden, Utah I'm responsible for the wonderful success in 2009 and would have continued to hold fabulous events except that I had a baby and gave control over to someone else. My due date was actually during Samhain in 2010 and shortly after showing up for a few hugs my water broke...

Anyway, I didn't know there were other sites for funding and I will have to do some more research. The plan was to solicit out of area Bel people to help and maybe contact God-Squad in Eugene for help with a mini event. I've got a lot of work ahead of me!
Kye Victoria
VictoriaKye
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Rocca » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:22 am

Sounds like your getting a good plan together!

Just a heads up - God Squad is all over Oregon. ;) Not saying they won't help with your event, but I would contact Tir na nOg (TNN), the Eugene realm (which has some God Squad members in it). TNN is associated with the University of Oregon and the University's Marine Lab is in Charleston. That pull may make them able to use university funds for a mini-event or some such. :)
Rocca
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, archery
Pronouns: She / Her

Postby VictoriaKye » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Now that sounds like a plan! I'll definitely have to contact TNN and see what we can do. I know Chaos is just around the corner, so it'll have to wait for a little while before we can hold an event here. But I can start making loaners for now.
Kye Victoria
VictoriaKye
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Sipris » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Since the Coos Bay area is so small. You could always build amptgard fun noodle weapons (super cheap) until you have a solid group and then charge new people fees to make there own legit swords. Or do the kickstarter thing. It would just be a shame to raise all that money and then have no one using the weapons. Just a thought.
House: Valkyries
Sipris
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 11 Nov 2006
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword/board, flo, archery
Pronouns: They / Them

Return to Recruitment Ideas