Lets get this started

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Lets get this started

Postby Physic » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 am

Who else participates in SCA? What do you think the pros and cons are compared to Belegarth??
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Sir Cairbre » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:35 am

I do / did. My fighter's card is in need of renewal.

Calibration is definatly a large difference, in the SCA if yous shield touches a sword strike at all the strike generally is considered blocked. Head shots are legal and pretty much the average kill, while shots at or below the knee are illegal.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 am

I never fought in SCA. I love the more period-ness of it though. Actually looking to get back involved once I get out of college get get some extra $$.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby ashling » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:14 am

I fought SCA very briefly and definitely did not prefer it. It made me feel claustrophobic and weighed down. I prefer the freedom and mobility of Belegarth. I additionally like my fingers and ribs unbroken and my bell unrung. ;)

I do however love the caliber of garb, camping, skills etc... I do not care for the politics though.
Huggles!
Ashling Teine Wolfcaller av Rausumea
Domari Rausumea
ashling
Scout
Scout

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:37 am

I'm just getting into SCA. The fighting is a lot of fun, but it's very different--which is good, in my opinion. If it were basically the same, there'd be no reason to do both it and foam-fighting. The biggest pros, in my opinion, are

--everyone's wearing armor; armor is cool by default; many people have really good armor.

--the garb is MUCH better than Belegarth (or Dag), and LIGHT-YEARS better than, say, Amtgard.

--killing someone feels really, really satisfying.

--you feel like you're part of a much larger whole.

Cons include

--getting ready to fight involves a much greater investment of time, money, and energy.

--SCA fighting is more tiring, and more prone to damage you (esp. wrist and knees).

--the pace is slower, which is a little frustrating for someone like me who's very fast.

--sometimes, people don't take it seriously enough; it's pretty disappointing to go to a Medieval fighting event and see people in crappy garb and ugly armor. More so than Belegarth, where I sort of expect crappy garb and ugly armor, and am pleasantly surprised by the nice stuff.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Lodian Black » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:06 am

is there an SCA website?
"It shall be swift. It shall be graceful. The precision of my blade ever so faithful."

Lodian Black
- Black Tiger Organization-
Lodian Black
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Kyrian » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:22 am

I've been attending SCA fencing during the week and I was actually able to apply what I've learned to defend myself during a Belegarth practice.

I like the structured setup of their practices and the fact that they're very methodical in their training methods. I also like the feel of fighting with live steel. Yes, they're blunted but the weight and balance are much closer to their historic counterparts.

What's really been bothering me is the whole death from behind thing. Even though I choose not to do this in Belegarth, it's a personal choice. There have been a couple of situations where I've ended up just slightly out of their 180 degree field of vision in a melee line and I can't engage them. I know they saw me before they stepped forward but I can't stab them in the side. :(

is there an SCA website?

http://www.sca.org
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby To'Gur » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:52 am

I have been attending SCA practices for 2 weeks. I enjoy them alot, mostly because of the challenges. Belegarth has actually helped me in this, because i can throw shots that i throw in bel, and most people dont expect them.
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby Kensman Bam » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:16 pm

Some of us wanted to try this out but were told not to because most of the SCA guys were just plain jerks. I know they can be garb Nazis but other than that what do you have to look out for?
Kensman in House Haldane
Chieftain of the Cu Sith
Proud member of House Haldane
Realm Leader of The SouthernMarches
http://www.cusithwarband.com
Kensman Bam
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 03 Jul 2005
Realm: Kenevara
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Glaive/Spear
Red
Unarmed

Postby Winfang » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Here is my kit for SCA. I'm attempting to portray an Anglo-Saxon thegn from about 8th centry, during the 1st invasion of Briton by the Vikings.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Athron » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:59 pm

since when does a pizza cooking sheet make for a good SCA shield? ;) (just kidding, of course)

Winfang, you look BA... I can't see the torso armor very well, did you make it/ buy it, what is the composition of the materials? Am I not looking at it right, all that armor looks like foam combat-legal... true?
Fun fact: Being a D*** doesn't make you throw a better wrap shot.
Athron
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:30 pm

MagnusofTaurendor wrote:sometimes, people don't take it seriously enough; it's pretty disappointing to go to a Medieval fighting event and see people in crappy garb and ugly armor. More so than Belegarth, where I sort of expect crappy garb and ugly armor, and am pleasantly surprised by the nice stuff.

amen.

Bam, honestly it varies from realm to realm.

For instance, the realm in BG are total *, but the fighters that used to be here on campus were very accomodating. I'd say the best you can do is got out, try it, judge the realm for yourself, and know not everyone is a complete *.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Winfang » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:06 pm

The only thing legal for Belegarth is my gorget, arms, and demis. My helm might be legal for Dagorhir. My torso is made from plastic, but it passes the 10ft rule :P My legs and knees are hidden plastic.

I made it from plates I purchased from www.plasticlamellar.com.

Things I want to do to my kit:
-Better pants. Mine currently are just baggy black trigger, I would like a little more fitting wool pants.
-Get a saex with a leather sheath
-Get proper footwear. I currently fight in H-D boots, but I'm going to buy Viking footware from www.revival.us
-Get a better belt. I'm wearing a standard ring belt that is too wide. I'm going to buy the stuff for a cool Saxon belt from www.quietpress.com (plus I need stuff to hold up my puttees)
-Eventually get a riveted mail shirt. I have a butted mail shirt but would like a riveted one :)
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby To'Gur » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:10 pm

Winfang, how do you juggle belegarth and the sca?
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:22 pm

If I can get the time off of work I would love to hit an SCA event this year - even as a non-fighter if I don't have gear - just to see what their large events are like.

Fang,
You going to hit Pennsic?
Zzyzx

Postby Winfang » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:44 pm

It's interesting to say the least.

Tuesday is Belegarth, Wednesday and Thursday is SCA. The last Wednesday of the month is Belegarth. The weekends are pretty much which ever event is close. At Belegarth, I'm trying to fight with different weapons, such as spear and greatsword. At SCA I'm focusing on sword/shield with emphasis on tourney style of fighting. Now toss a girlfriend and kid into the mix and you'll have a hell of a time.

In Belegarth, I'm typically listed as one of the better fighters. I use a 28" sword (no green) and a 28"x36" heater. In SCA I'm an average fighter, I can give most people a run for thier money but the top 2% whoops my * with no problems. My shield is a 24"x32" oval center-grip and my sword is a high-density rattan with mild steel basket, 36" overall length.

Here are some of the things I've noticed about fighting SCA, coming from Belegarth/Dagorhir. How I throw my shots tend to be a whipping motion. My arm extends and then I bend my wrist, with a pull at the end of the shot to add some snap to the shot. My target for a shot is about a few inches pass the actual target. I do this to throw sufficent force into the shot and to make the shot as fast as I can. My favorite target with this is an offside body. This doesn't work very well in SCA for me mainly because of the body mechcanics of this shot. I have to learn to throw the shot different, throw more hips into it. For the first month or two of serious SCA fighting, my wrist hurt. This is because I was wrist-flicking without thinking about it.

Pennsic is my vacation this year.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Physic » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:13 pm

Who are the Knights in your area Winfang.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Physic » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Here is my take on it. The melee fighting in Belegarth in my opinion is much better then the SCA. It is more agressive and it allows me to do pretty much anything where SCA has many safetly rules with their melee combat. No back stabs, limited shield bashing, no grappling. If Belegarth had some good helmets and allowed head shots it would be even more fun.

Tourney fighting is where Belegarth is lacking. Since I have started doing Belegarth there has always been very limited amounts of tourneys. It was dissapointing to find that many people did not like the idea of them. To me it is the ultimate way to show honor, respect and prowess.

SCA does an amazing job with its tournaments. I will not claim that they are perfect but I can honestly say I have never felt anyone has cheated or done anything dishonorable. The time and effort the people put it to training for tourneys amazes me. I have always wanted to learn medieval style fighting as a martial art and that is how the SCA trains it. There are always people willing to train and put there time into teaching classes and researching the philisophical side of fighting.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Duke Laurelyn, Duke Alen, Sir Theo, Sir Conrad, Count Alric, Sir Nickolas, and Sir Ephiem are from Cleflands (Cleveland)

Middle Marches (Columbus) has Duke Edmund, Sir Calliegh, Sir Ragnar.

Those are all the ones I can remember.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tren » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Physic wrote:If Belegarth had some good helmets and allowed head shots it would be even more fun.

That's something I'd never considered before but after reading the conventions for HACS Class 4 combat, it's is something I'd be very excited to try.
To Err is Human,
To Arr is Pirate

ImageImage
Tren
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Cyric » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:47 pm

level 4 hacs was surprisingly fun. with our weapons and an SCA style helm, you barely notice the head shots while in combat. Any discomfort you have is offset by the pleasure of hitting someone in the head and not hurting them at all.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Renato » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:52 pm

I participated in SCA when I was a wee toddler... I've wanted to get involved as a real person (self-aware adult) but my mobility is limited on account of being a car-less college student.

Anyone go to Barony of the Three Rivers meetings?
Renato
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Olos » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Cyric wrote:level 4 hacs was surprisingly fun. with our weapons and an SCA style helm, you barely notice the head shots while in combat. Any discomfort you have is offset by the pleasure of hitting someone in the head and not hurting them at all.

Yes, stabbing people in the head with a glaive was very fun.

I am still unsure if archery is as balanced though, it seems much easier to kill people with the faster arrows, low visibility, and low hearing.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby To'Gur » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:00 am

I am still unsure if archery is as balanced though, it seems much easier to kill people with the faster arrows, low visibility, and low hearing

Not any worse than we deal with in the sca
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Physic » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:07 am

Winfang wrote:Duke Laurelyn, Duke Alen, Sir Theo, Sir Conrad, Count Alric, Sir Nickolas, and Sir Ephiem are from Cleflands (Cleveland)

Middle Marches (Columbus) has Duke Edmund, Sir Calliegh, Sir Ragnar.

Those are all the ones I can remember.

Your a lucky *. We are pretty much working with no Knights or even high level fighters.
Edmund is a great guy. He was King when I first started playing. I was doing some friendly trash talking with him at the last event we were at. He had no clue who I was. He is good friends with some of my local fighters.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 am

Now if I lived in Detroit or Indy, I would be very lucky. Cleftlands is an hour drive for me and Middle Marches is a two hour drive. If I would stay in just Gwytarian, which is down the street from my house, I would be in the same boat as you. Don't you have any Red Company guys around you? Cleftlands has some badass unbelts too. A few of them are regular members of the Midrealm Unbelt team. One of my short-term goals in SCA is to be on that team.

PS If I was you, I would try to make it to Sternfeld practices. Duke Stephen, Duke Palymar, Duke Finn, Duke Alaric, Duchess Elina, Count Cathan, Sir Lothar, maybe Sir Ivan, and Duke Felix are suppose to be there. It seems like only two hours from Champaign and it would definately be worth a drive out there once a month.
http://www.midrealm.org/sternfeld/fighter.htm
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby To'Gur » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:13 am

I have Duke Duncann, and Sir Redwall
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:55 am

I just went to one of their fencing practices last night. I got there kinda late since there were only 2 of them left picking up their stuff but they seemed like great guys. Next one is sunday, not sure if I'll make it or not though. I've been putting SCA off for a long time though. Not really sure why...
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports