Amtgard

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Amtgard

Postby Izareth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:11 am

They have some serious training videos, and they have SKBC (Sword Knight Boot Camp) which I think is an awesome idea.

I'll post the link to one training video from the Tactics forum.

I've also fought with a SCA fighter, at his house. It was fun and different, if I had more time, I'd try them both out.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:13 am

Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Loptr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 am

Amt is my primary combat source, Bel is a secondary.

SKBC is a great thing to attend the entire focus is on specific classes focuseing on one topic. There about 20 classes offered over 3 days. There are 3 class slots per day with evening lectures. In between classes there is masses of ditching.

http://skbc.naropa.edu

I attended last year in WA and will be attending this year in IA.

There has been limited conversation on exploring SKBC for Bel, but that has not really gone anywhere.

Loptr
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:45 am

The advanced sword & board vid was very helpful to me two years ago, when I was just starting to really become a skilled fighter with a repertoire of techniques. It's not all applicable to Belegarth (or Dag) since several of the shots are either nigh-impossible to land with a 12+oz sword, or simply will not hit hard enough. However, many of the concepts introduced (including, most notably, spins) are very useful for any kind of fighting...perhaps even SCA.

An organized teaching-oriented event would be great. However, I think that it's also the sort of thing one could also have as part of a regular (week-long or weekend) event, at a time when the main battles weren't being fought.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Loptr » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:04 pm

MagnusofTaurendor wrote:An organized teaching-oriented event would be great. However, I think that it's also the sort of thing one could also have as part of a regular (week-long or weekend) event, at a time when the main battles weren't being fought.

Agreed,
The key advantage of SKBC is it brings some of the best from around the nation to one place to teach. This way you get the best from the best.

Fitgher practice that is regimented and focused on specific drills is invaluable at a local level without a doubt. When I go to SKBC I bring a lot of shots back to the park and share the knowledge.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports