SCA in Bloomington

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SCA in Bloomington

Postby Physic » Tue May 01, 2007 7:12 am

http://www.scolairi.org/Easteregghunt.htm

This Saturday the SCA will be holding an event in Bloomington. There is a lot of fun stuff to do at this. Last year they had a ton of classes and this year will be the same. You can also participate in target archery. Or you can come out and watch the fighting and meet some awesome people. Hope to see ya there.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 am

Physic, I swear I will catch you at an event and get a chance to swing rattan at you.

Not only is it just an event, but it's also a War Practice/Unbelt practice. That means some of the top non-knights of the Middle Kingdom will be there kickin' * and taking names. Physic, if you get a chance talk to Rutger. He's an ex-Dagorhir fighter who kicks alot of *. He can give you some excellent pointers on how to transition Dag/Bel fighting to SCA.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby xiao » Tue May 01, 2007 12:54 pm

any badasses in downtown chicago?
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Physic » Wed May 02, 2007 6:26 am

Xiao talk to Kyrian he has more info than I on the SCA Chicago scene. I know there a couple groups there but I dont know where and who show up.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Physic » Wed May 02, 2007 6:29 am

Winfang wrote:Physic, I swear I will catch you at an event and get a chance to swing rattan at you.

Not only is it just an event, but it's also a War Practice/Unbelt practice. That means some of the top non-knights of the Middle Kingdom will be there kickin' * and taking names. Physic, if you get a chance talk to Rutger. He's an ex-Dagorhir fighter who kicks alot of *. He can give you some excellent pointers on how to transition Dag/Bel fighting to SCA.

Yeah someday it will happen. I was going to go to Coronation but I heard the fighting wasnt gonna be any good. Then I found out there was some really good training to be had. Oh well I will definitly be at RUM.

Last year at this event is when I one my novice tourney so I have some fond memories of it. Its close and a great time. Cant beat that.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Winfang » Wed May 02, 2007 6:53 am

RUM and Crown Tourney are both in my backyard. If you need crash space for any of these, let me know.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Kyrian » Wed May 02, 2007 10:57 am

The only practice I attend is at Glenbrook High School in Northbrook on Tuesdays. It starts around 6:30 PM and goes till about 9:00. They have access to the gyms so there'll be practice, rain or shine. Most of the attendees are fencers (usually between 10-20) but i've been seeing an influx of heavy fighters. I've seen the number of heavies go down to as little as two but lately there have been at least 5-10 fairly consistently.

Xiao, if you need more info, let me know.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby xiao » Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 am

Kyrian, next tuesday after Beltaine I should be able to check it out.

I'm very interested.
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Physic » Thu May 03, 2007 8:56 am

Winfang wrote:RUM and Crown Tourney are both in my backyard. If you need crash space for any of these, let me know.

I dont know if we talked about this or not but they are going to have some awesome stuff going on there. When I was at TOC it was mentioned that you will be able to sign up for 20 minute training sessions with the Knights there.
Im sure my arm will be ready to fall off after the day is done.
Uruk-Hai

Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Mon May 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Xiao,

If you're still interested, here are the directions:

http://thieves.ayreton.org/

I'd like to make it tomorrow but I'm not sure if work will let me... :(
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby xiao » Tue May 15, 2007 1:29 pm

thank you kyrian