Roleplay LARPS

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Roleplay LARPS

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Although I like role play, this is the real reason I prefer Belegarth over those other LARP's that have more role play:

Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Alunsun » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Dude, she never stood a chance!
how much about a nike dunk ??every one know??
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Realm: Umbar
Unit: The Black Corsairs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm

I don't even wear armor in Belegarth because I don't want to stop and ask myself "was I hit there before?"

I just yell "Good!" and fall over.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Ryker » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 am

excerpt from my blog about my attempt at a full blown larp

So, you aren't supposed to judge anything until you try it yourself. Well, Tull found out about a local LARP group and asked if I wanted to go along. I thought at least we could get in some sparring (haven't had a practice all summer) and maybe snag some people from the other group.

So...Tull, Jeff and I go out. Well...ya...just seeing some of these people....oh good God.

I now know why people openly mock these groups.

Once I was handed a character sheet (ya...a character sheet) I knew it would go down here from there. Then a small explanation of the combat system (oh...we're picking up steam on the downhill run now!) and then seeing some of their equipment....some of it makes me want to cry. Some of the weapons were the latex weapons (which I admit look good) but they are light weight (really light) "tap" weapons. Any weapons you can flick with your wrist...naaaa....no thanks.

So, my first level character (shudder) has 20 "body" points and with my full leather armour plus shield I have 58 "armour" points. Now, with their combat system...and average person with an average weapon does 3-5 "points" of damage...and they have to go through my "armour" points before they get to my "body" points. Ya, do the math...I have to be hit about 15-26 time before "dying" *?

I am now so grateful for the simplicity of the Dagorhir and SCA combat systems. You get hit...you die...simple.

Oh...and of course...the magic....oh for ****'s sake. I dislike systems that use magic....if you can't swing a stick (or shoot a bow for that matter) and hit me...you can't hit me. These people have a large amount of magic in their system (which I guess is fine...cuz their combat system sucks).

All I know...is I put up with it alot longer than I really wanted to. They seem like nice people...but no...I will not EVER again "do" a full blown LARP. As much as I realize that technically the SCA and Dagorhir are LARPs...it just isn't as completely lame. SCA has it's historical research and combat that is more "realistic" (yet still has major flaws...because of safety issues) and Dagorhir has it's more fun combat (which it too has major realism flaws...once again for safety). But even with thier flaws...the SCA and Dagorhir are not in any way as **** lame as what I did today.

Ah...and my favorite quote from the whole LARP fiasco come from Tull

"If I can run 88mph and touch the lightning statue it might give me the 1.21 gigawatts i need to go back in time and not come here"

Ryker, member of the Mighty Mountie Militia
Ryker
Brute
Brute

Realm: Mountie Militia
Unit: Div III

Postby Hardscrabble » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Darkon, despite the movie, is not so bad. At least the way we play it in Idaho. I got hit harder in that game than by any belegrim that wasn't * or Ikis. Yeah the hit system is a little more complicated, but theres no math beyond "armor's gone, now I'm bleeding, now I'm dead"

As far as magic casting goes, try rattling off a 175 word lightning bolt while a line is bearing down on you. Its not just "lighinigbolt lightningbolt lightningbolt"
Hardscrabble
Underling
Underling

Postby Solusar » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Wow, Darkon somehere not in MD. I'm shocked.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 am

So I thought about getting involved with a "future" larp in town. When I first went I found a bunch of kids with sticks spinning around like they were Neo, yelling at each other that the other one was dead. There were 10 of them and nine of them were wearing trench coats and sunglasses on an overcast summer day.

I thought for a minute that maybe I could convince them to try something a little more fun with less yelling at each other, but they didn't want to hear about anything other than vampires and werewolves.

They tried explaining the rules to me, but they were insanely complex, (more so than what ryker experienced by the sound of it). About the time that the eleventh member hopped out of his mom's van with a NERF crossbow, I decided it was time to leave.

I wish I had a funniest quote, but I've worked hard to suppress the memories of the lameness I encountered on that day.

Maybe all Larps aren't quite so bad, but I wouldn't feel a bit bad beating the * out of every one of those trenchcoated bastards.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:16 am

I don't have anything against that type of LARP; my (adult) son is both a fair fighter and enjoys the hell out of them.

I have nothing against the guys that enjoy Nero or Solar or whatever else. It just isn't for me.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Od1n » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:25 pm

* wrote:Darkon, despite the movie, is not so bad. At least the way we play it in Idaho. I got hit harder in that game than by any belegrim that wasn't * or Ikis. Yeah the hit system is a little more complicated, but theres no math beyond "armor's gone, now I'm bleeding, now I'm dead"

As far as magic casting goes, try rattling off a 175 word lightning bolt while a line is bearing down on you. Its not just "lighinigbolt lightningbolt lightningbolt"

Darkon in Idaho now? hahaha oh man.
I am Odin
Od1n
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 1921

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:14 pm

I think I remember reading that anyone can use their rulebook, but aren't officially a Darkon chapter unless they're approximately close to the MD area.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports