Dag polearm rules

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Dag polearm rules

Postby varadin » Fri May 30, 2008 8:38 am

Since im so lovely thrice banned i figured id ask here. Im making a glaive and am just double checking to make sure its both Dag and Bele legal. So ive made kinda a highbreed ruleset to abide myself too.

dag rules

4.1.8.8. No swung weapon may have more than 1/3 of its length unpadded. No swung weapon may have more than thirty unpadded inches.

bele

1.4.2.3. The maximum handle length for Class 2 Weapons is eighteen (18) inches or one-third (1/3) of the overall length, whichever is greater. This cannot exceed one-half (1/2) of the overall length.

Whatever happened to the 1/3 striking surface rule on any swung weapon. Whats the minimal now? cause thats scary to me. Basically the only limitation i found was 30 inches of handle to be dag legal.

one other quick thing. What happened to the dag rule of minimal tape on a striking surface.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 am

Basically, the Dag rule is that the maximum unpadded area of a weapon is 1/3 OR 30", whichever is less. As for the minimum striking area, there technically is no rule for it (a problem, in my book, because it results in a lot of speed-bats/barrel maces with frankly too little striking surface for safety). In practice, though, a weapons checker will not pass a weapon if he/she feels it is unsafe, regardless of whether it conforms to the dimension rules.

As far as tape on a striking surface: no weapon may have anything other than fabric on the outside, i.e. the surface, of its striking portion. That said, it is really hard to enforce the rule that weapons should not have (duct) tape on their striking surface under the cover, but if a weapon does have tape under its cover, it will likely fail weapons check or fail structurally.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby varadin » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:01 am

scares me that it can have a 1 foot striking surface on a polearm as long as it doesn't fail a hit test. That allows for a lot of easy hafting out there.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Skaara » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:02 am

Varadin wrote:scares me that it can have a 1 foot striking surface on a polearm as long as it doesn't fail a hit test. That allows for a lot of easy hafting out there.

Luckily, most people won't think about the fact that you could, but whether or not you should. (at least where I fight)
Skaara
"The Muffin Man"

"I, therefore, hit people like I am trying to KILL them."
FB
Skaara
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2000
Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: Reapers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Florentine

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:29 pm

Varadin wrote:scares me that it can have a 1 foot striking surface on a polearm as long as it doesn't fail a hit test. That allows for a lot of easy hafting out there.

If the haft padding isn't safe for contact, though, the weapon will fail. And believe me, with a 1' striking surface on a 6+' weapon, the checkers will be strict.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Re: Dag polearm rules

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:24 pm

Personally if I saw someone with so little striking surface, I'd take it as an invitation to swing for their balls.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports