The real story...

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: The real story...

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:16 am

Hmm, I always heard pork was the closest. Maybe it's just the closest normal food, by normal I mean readily available in Publix; or Piggly Wiggly... what ever it is you yanks have up north:)

Anyway, in an attempt to get somewhat back on topic... instead of create a similar thread with potential to get turded up via Dag vs. Bel discussion; this thread seems quite well-controlled anyway considering the topic:

The loophole to all this contract BS is to just call yourself a foam fighting group and attend Bel/Dag/Amt events correct?
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:51 am

Right, but it's easier to attract members if you are identifiable as part of one group or another.

You could, for example, have one group registered under 3 different names in 3 different games. Your Bel realm could, conceivably, be a "unit" of your Dag realm; Dagorhir units are not mentioned in the contract, and are therefore allowed to describe themselves (on their website, for example) as participants in other organizations. The Rome unit in the Aratari is the most notable example that I can think of, but there are certainly others.

I think the simplest way would be (for example) to sign the Dag contract as the realm "Rhovanion," your Bel group could be called "Cimmeria," and sign the Amt contract as "The Shire of Stormwind Keep." But they would all in fact be the same people, fighting together, attending a Belegarth event one weekend, a Dagorhir event the next, and an Amtgard event the following month. Or, if there are two groups very near to each other (like 1 hour away from each other, say in Raleigh, NC and Chapel Hill, NC) then you could get together and decide that one group will be Belegarth, the other will be Dagorhir, and then you will combine members to have a larger group--and thus a higher standing--in Amtgard. This would mean that the same group of fighters could be in two or three organizations without the same people being responsible for leadership in all three organizations, that is, three people in the Raleigh group are the Dag contact people/representatives, three people in the Chapel Hill group are the Belegarth realm leaders, and then two different people from each group handle Amtgard stuff.

This way, you could be active, voting participants (immediately in Dagorhir, after a time in Belegarth, not sure how Amtgard works) with a vocal presence in all three games. And it would be easier to stay in the loop with regards to events held by each.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Rasheab » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:59 am

Now that is sneaky. I especially like the unit loophole.

But will Dom honor that loophole, or will he ban the person from the Dag boards because he can, and once your banned who can question it?
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:46 am

If you make it clear that you aren't trying to cause trouble, then there shouldn't be a problem. Various DBGA folks have repeatedly said that there can be no restriction on the activities that Dagorhir members do outside of Dagorhir, only that the registered chapters themselves must be exclusively Dagorhir organizations. And for legal reasons (such as non-profit status, liability, etc) that makes sense--the DBGA can't very well say that such-and-such is a Dagorhir chapter AND a Belegarth chapter without raising a lot of complicated questions.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Brennon EH » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:12 pm

For the record, Amtgard doesn't generally care if you do Amt/Bel/Dag with the same group. Our only request is that you don't edit the Amtgard rulebook and still call yourselves 'Amtgard'. You can play Bel/Dag for half the day and Amtgard half the day at the same park, for all we care. Just make sure that you differentiate for people what you are doing. Our concern is not having people going to other Amtgard groups and being confused on what the rules are. As long as that's not happening, we encourage cross-gaming.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:13 pm

Brennon EH wrote:For the record, Amtgard doesn't generally care if you do Amt/Bel/Dag with the same group. Our only request is that you don't edit the Amtgard rulebook and still call yourselves 'Amtgard'. You can play Bel/Dag for half the day and Amtgard half the day at the same park, for all we care. Just make sure that you differentiate for people what you are doing. Our concern is not having people going to other Amtgard groups and being confused on what the rules are. As long as that's not happening, we encourage cross-gaming.

Or you do all your practices as Bel, then log XP in Orkk, calling them ditching practices.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:19 pm

Technically, if you don't play a class based game, you can only get credit in the Warrior class. At my old college, they run Amtgard on Wednesday, and Belegarth on Saturday (or something like that). There's a lot of cross-over between both groups; it works pretty well, I'd say.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:36 am

One, question I dont know if this actually has been asked, but Has Bele and Dags actually ever sat down at a table , like our congress( I know its a bad correlation, but still) and talked about the conflicts that needed to be fixed, I read up on some of the things, about how Bele does meeting on certain thing and Dags usually does it a Rags, What I'm Trying to say, Why either at one of those big Events, or even hold an actual First Annual Officer Board meeting of both or even all three of the type Amt/Bele/Dags, to dicuss the broken links in the problems you have.
My analogy of this would be you can heal the wound without it scabbing up first.
I can see people disagreeing on the meeting but, its just about how everything else is ran in the world, through a council.
At the meeting the people would bring there rule books evidence, like a court case, and point out why this needs to be done, why do they want to keep this, and this might slowly start, healing the wounds.
And what to do about the location where to hold the first meeting, like I suggested either at a big event, or not hold it in some picked out place that like the middle of the Worlds. Or if one agrees to go somewhere.

That's just my quick opinion on what I think would help to fix the wounds.
Work like a congressman, lol
In the middle ages, people took potions for their ailments.
In the 19th century they took snake oil.
Citizens of today's shiny, technological age are too modern for that.
They take antioxidants and extract of cactus instead.

Barrs GoldenHammer
One of the Cold...One of the Mighty
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2004
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Shield, Sword & Spear

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:38 am

No.

Just no.

Let this thread DIE.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 am

I personally like this thread is a deep, a try to unify talk and I'd really like to see a huge, LARP/ Beat the hell out of thing sport

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Rasheab » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:50 am

I know folks have said that the Dag head people are way different in person, but from watching them on their boards, do you really think that they would be willing to sit down?

Dom has made it pretty clear that he doesn't want to have anything to do with Belegarth, so I'm guessing the result would be that he wouldn't want to come to one of our events, and he wouldn't want that "other organization" taking up time at Rag (that would admit we exist, after all).

And I think a better analogy would be a country that has split in half then the different political parties of one country. (We're not forced to get along after all.)

(And isn't Amptgard a completely independent group that has never had any official connection to Bel/Dag? Bel/Dag have "wounds" that could be theoreticaly healed, but Ampt is a different game with different rules.)

I also hope the thread dies, but if there is something relevant to say... *half shrug* Though I don't know if this qualifies.

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Whatever is in reach.

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:03 am

So to make point of it, is that either or Bele. is the America or Russia and Dags is like Russia or America, technically, we in theory work together, but We hate each other?
In my eyes i see that as kind of lame, if we cant sit down and actually talk about something. sad

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:17 am

looking at there, posts, I know its not nice to be mean, but they literally think they have created the best LARPing game in the world and they say its almost perfect.
LARP is LARP and i love to do it.
Well, I hold no prejudice to any group, but thats kind of getting *, well i think so at least.

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:55 am

Dude.

SHUT UP.

Christ...
Arrakis

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:58 am

All your questions will be answered if you read the entire thread again.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Derian wrote:All your questions will be answered if you read the entire thread again.

QFT

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:07 pm

My fault for getting, involved I can see this is a sensitive topic for you guys, ill just passively ignore this topic from now on,
Sry

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 pm

It's not that it's a sensitive topic (though it is for many), it's that people don't want to spend their time to rehash things that have been said over and over because you can't be bothered to read what's already been posted.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:05 pm

I know, I really dont like to read to much, id rather have it upfront and atm, but sometimes its good to read the whole thing not just half.

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:10 pm

It's been posted before, but let me elaborate.

That's a terrible mindset to have. You will get so much farther in this game (and in life) if you speak/post half as much and listen/read twice as much as you do now.

I'm not trying to rip on you, only to help you out.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm

I understand, I mean do enough of reading and all the writing, I have to do it everyday in College,(I do lots of it) I mean once in a while its just nice to skip the details and ask the question. I mean I could blow up and get angry on what u said to me but bc I understand, and we both dont know each others position, and ur going off what I do on here, Which isnt how my life is ran lol, if it was i wouldn't be in the place i am now.

This also a note, I do like reading the fighting skills and development, thats what i really like on here, one its every entertaining, two its quite excellent that it teaches you ways to do stuff, you even got videos to back it up.

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Sage advise. Most everything has already been said one way or another. Multiple people have been banned from the Dag boards for allowing this to spill over there. A real shame too, it saddens me when good people get sucked into this old feud. More reading and less posting would be for the best. It's not like this is some poll thread, no one is keeping score, nor should they be.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:24 pm

mhm

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Teej » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:46 pm

Blackhawk wrote:Sage advise. Most everything has already been said one way or another. Multiple people have been banned from the Dag boards for allowing this to spill over there. A real shame too, it saddens me when good people get sucked into this old feud. More reading and less posting would be for the best. It's not like this is some poll thread, no one is keeping score, nor should they be.

Truth; FL came into foam fighting after the feuds... All FL groups consider it water under the bridge and work together; we've hosted Bel/Amt/Dag meetings and joint practices... everyone gets along instead of worrying about who did what a couple thousand miles from where we are located.

I read and understand the past, I just don't worry about it. My concern is how to allow my chapter to jump through contract loopholes to support all fighters.
Last edited by Teej on Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Good see that's what I like to see, is exactly that!!

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:51 pm

God...

Who let someone who uses "ur" to mean "your" into a post-secondary school?

**** low standards....
Arrakis

Postby Polska89 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:51 pm

look at pm plz

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Arrakis wrote:God...

Who let someone who uses "ur" to mean "your" into a post-secondary school?

**** low standards....

Winters heart is Jan 10th. I think we will both be there. Make sure you look me up. We should spar some, drink some, fight some!! I would love to put a face to the name! We can discuss warriors and their education needs.

Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:41 pm

I'd love to, BH! We shall see if I'm there, though.... I'll be passing through VA on my way from KY to CT, but it may be a day or two late for that event. It always seems to work out like that...

Also, as regards my last post in this thread: I was irritated, in general, at the time, and that particular grammatical atrocity is a particular pet-peeve of mine. Sorry for the particularly evil tone...
Arrakis

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:10 pm

/me zips up his grammar Nazi pants.

Polska actually substituted 'ur' for 'you're'.

People misusing 'your' and 'you're' as well as 'it's' and 'its' bug the **** out of me.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:24 pm

Oh... wow.... I almost checked to make sure of how he'd used it.... but then I didn't.

I'm so embarrassed.
Arrakis

Postby Derian » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:25 pm

Shame!
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Polska89 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:03 am

Will you guys lay off the one grammer mistake I made?
Seriously, I come to a wonderful sport asking and giving advice as best as I can and just like the rest of the world, you say "Oh, You ARE a noob, and then Bash me for what I said.
I mean if real Adult would have pulled me(pm'ed me) aside and said "Hey bad topic to get started on", I would have layed off.

Arrakis started to I kind of layed off and just talked to Derius about just a light note of it and a problem I have.(which I do give both of them credit and all.)
But, still you continued to bash any mistake I make.

I kind of say, it could be seen as you're doing me a favor and fixing some stuff that I * up.
But what your doing is now Drilling me straight in to the freaking ground about a topic, that has no relevance to my life at all, I like to LARP and play Bele. and Dags. But this is what kind of scares me off the sport is the drama, of a topic that died, I asked about and am under fire like it was WWII.
And plz don't say anything about WWII I had family members that died in that war, just as a note

And Like you haven't made a mistake in your life before! I Didn't do anything that horrible to be smashed on, but whatever if the bashing must keep going I'll just look at it as random talk. Even for me it only takes twice to tell me.

ONCE MORE TIME I APOLOGIZE FOR THE MISTAKE I MADE IN REVIVING THE THREAD AND USING "ur" instead of "you are". SRY
I mean I can't do any better than what I can do right now.

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 am

Be calm, dude; it's just the intarwebz.
Arrakis

Postby Polska89 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:59 am

I kind of can't when getting bashed by a thousand people

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Teej » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:48 am

Polska89 wrote:I kind of can't when getting bashed by a thousand people

Bub, you made your points, you apologized. My best advice to you is to just lay low, and let things blow over... people will not care a couple days down the road.

Just chill a bit, while I'm not suggesting you let people walk all over you... you need to grow a bit thicker skin. Everyone gets called out on necro posts; its not a big deal IMO, but people for some reason love to call others out on it no matter what forum you're in. You can be on a knitting forum and I bet "OphaMae1938" will call you out on it.

Personally I don't know you; I have noticed people snap at you in a couple posts though. I'm not sure why they're snapping because I mostly skim topic which don't interest me... However, this occasionally happens to the random new person who comes into the forums in the following ways:

1. With an attitude.
2. Thinking they're experts, when they haven’t been seen at a single event.
3. People who are easily offended.
4. People who ask absolutely ridiculous questions. (IE: can I carry 9 weapons)

If any of the above apply to you, just back off it a bit and you'll be just fine. If not, address the people who are bothering you via PM to avoid further frustration when people call you out for "turding up" the thread.

I think I speak for everyone when I say: can we either continue on with the topic at hand or let the thread die please?

Personally, I think we should cut the fat (per-say); lock the thread; pin it; and then refer everyone back to it when the question comes up. This way we avoid having to explain the same thing over again every 6-12 months, only for the topic to go south like it does 80% of the time.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Rasheab » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:13 am

Polska: what TeeDge said.

Alot of the people here don't have terribly kind posting styles. But they also don't seem to hold a grudge unless you repeatedly make an * out of yourself. Play it cool, keep your head down, and proof read everything before you post it. I only got onto the boards earlier this year, and that's how I've been playing it.

I don't like locking threads because someone might have something useful to say (like "Dag has a new message board with different mods!"), but this was a really good post, so maybe it is time to preserve it for future generations.

Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Whatever is in reach.

Postby Polska89 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks you see thats all I wanted, thank you!

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Sir Killian » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:26 pm

ahh keyboard cowboys... gotta love em
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby Tor » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:35 am

Sir Killian wrote:ahh keyboard cowboys... gotta love em

Dude, I've been fairly proud of myself for *not* piling on.
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah.
I didn't even get started on this guy.
But oh, man, I wanna.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Polska89 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for not doing it.

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Teej » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:12 pm

Tor wrote:Dude, I've been fairly proud of myself for *not* piling on.

You surprise me the most, lol; I remember the early days of Black Cat. haha

Polska89 wrote:Thanks for not doing it.

Meh, topics ran its course I guess...
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cib » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:31 pm

TeeDge wrote:
Polska89 wrote:Personally, I think we should cut the fat (per-say); lock the thread; pin it; and then refer everyone back to it when the question comes up. This way we avoid having to explain the same thing over again every 6-12 months, only for the topic to go south like it does 80% of the time.

The New Belegarth.com FAQ addresses the issue quite tactfully, and is a much shorter read. Better to point people there first I think.

http://www.belegarth.com/begin.php#split
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Derian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:06 pm

That link doesn't work for direct links.

The next update that's going out will make it possible. Should be coming soon.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Polska89 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:04 pm

Decently helpful thank you very much

Barrs GoldenHammer
The Frost Guard
Polska89
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Wisp » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:22 pm

And Greymael if you are lurking around reading this, do you think you could be bothered to unlock my account on the Dag board? Email registration was to WillWisner@yahoo.com . I figured today would be a good day to ask since I've been listed twice now on the current threads as a good example of someone smashed by your Banhammer for no good reason.

Will

Still Banned
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby SteelClad_Lad » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:45 pm

I note that Dominus is back to being an * on the Dagorhir boards again. It is sad to watch several prominent members there support him in his *.

Also, I hear that he has a reputation for rhinohiding. Can anyone confirm this? I've never been to an event he attended.
Non Concedo
SteelClad_Lad
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Harnischfechten

Postby Derian » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:49 pm

SteelClad_Lad wrote:I note that Dominus is back to being an * on the Dagorhir boards again. It is sad to watch several prominent members there support him in his *.

Also, I hear that he has a reputation for rhinohiding. Can anyone confirm this? I've never been to an event he attended.

No. That's not what this thread is for.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:41 pm

ImageTHIS THREADImage
Spike
Grizzled Veteran