Question about registering a realm/unit

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question about registering a realm/unit

Postby Nevar Evandreill » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:04 pm

In about a week's time, my unit and its webpage will be refined enough to be submitted for review and hopefully acceptance as an official unit in the Houston Area.

My main obstacle, however, is trying to get our clan website approved by BOTH Belegarth and Dagorhir, because I know how inconvenient it is to have to search two separate sites for a unit in the Houston Area, when the two sports are, in their simplest forms, exactly the same.

So what I am asking is, despite Dagorhir's strongly-enforced rule of not mentioning Belegarth on their forums, if I were to mention Belegarth, Belegarth sources, and the Foam Fighters Union, would Dagorhir accept my unit, granted all other requirements were met as well?

And vice versa with Belegarth (though I haven't yet reviewed Belegarth's submission policy), if I mentioned Dagorhir, would my website still be accepted?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
An eager beginner
Nevar Evandreill of Interwoven ~ Tactician and Coordinator ~ Sword and Board combatant
Nevar Evandreill
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Not sure yet
Unit: Interwoven
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board with a dagger in shield hand.

Re: Question about registering a realm/unit

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 pm

If you are a Dagorhir chapter, you may only present your Dagorhir chapter as a Dagorhir chapter. The members themselves can participate in other games (it wouldn't be ethical to do otherwise) but the official chapter and all of its advertising may only be Dagorhir. This is for reasons of liability (tax or otherwise) and to make it easier for Dagorhir to keep track of which chapters are actually chapters.

My advice is that you make your Belegarth chapter a unit of your Dagorhir chapter. Unit websites are allowed to show affiliation with multiple organizations, since units are not part of the chapter organization policy.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Derian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Magnus has got it right. We don't particularly care what you call yourselves or who you affiliate with, but Dagorhir does.

Form a realm under Dagorhir, sign the contract, and make your website 100% about Dagorhir. Then, you can start a unit (Typically a smaller subdivision) that can advertise Belegarth, but you'll need a separate page and it needs to be clear that it's not a realm, but a group that happens to participate in both games.

Once you've got the Belegarth side ready, make a post in the Realm List sticky in the new members forum and add your group onto the Belegarth wiki: http://www.geddon.org.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Nevar Evandreill » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Agh, forgive my confusion, it's just with the varying uses of group/guild/realm/unit, it is difficult to be clear.

I do not desire to create a Dagorhir Realm. I would love to be a unit beneath a Houston Area realm. With that said, do the same rules apply (as the both of you mentioned) to a unit site as they would a Realm site? Is a unit site subject to the formal submission of papers as a realm is (in Dagorhir)?

Again, I apologize, and thank you for the patience. I would ask on Dagorhir, but . . . yeah.
Nevar Evandreill of Interwoven ~ Tactician and Coordinator ~ Sword and Board combatant
Nevar Evandreill
Recruit
Recruit

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:26 pm

Okay, so you have no interest in running a realm. Not that I blame you.

Basically, in Dagorhir, units have no official designation. So you can't really be a recognized Dagorhir group without being a chapter. In Belegarth, it's a little less formal (in some ways--no contract, but on the flip side the whole speaking rights/voting rights thing is complicated) but you also can't be a recognized Belegarth group without being a chapter.

Unfortunately, there are no Dagorhir or Belegarth realms near Houston. Which means that you would basically have to start a realm if you wanted to be an active presence in either of those games. You could just be a unit, however, it will be harder to get in touch with Dag or Bel groups if you yourself are not part of a realm.

Honestly, it's not much work to become a Dagorhir realm, and even less to become a Belegarth realm. There's no cost, and administrative duties are only as involved as you want them to be, so why not?
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Derian » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 pm

To clarify the terminology:

Group: can mean anything. Usually you can figure it out contextually.

Realm: A group of fighters geographically close to each other. Realms are usually based in a city. In sparsely populated areas, they can be in a region or in more densely populated areas there might be several.

Chapter: This is Dagorhir's official term for a realm.

Unit: This is the complicated one. A group of fighters that want to organize for whatever reason. Usually they have similar characterization (for instance a unit of Celts, Orcs or Romans) but don't necessarily have to. As Magnus mentioned, units have no official place in either Belegarth or Dagorhir; it's largely only culturally. Units can be located in one realm or can span multiple realms.

The best analogy I can give for a unit is if you've played WoW (or any number of similar games), a realm is equated to your server or your faction. That's where you're located and you can't just up and change. A unit is like your guild - similar minded people. You're always free to leave one to join another.

Guild: Currently has no official meaning in Belegarth (or Dagorhir, I believe, but I could be wrong). If 'guild' is used, it's almost always referring to some sort of group based on arts or crafts.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Nevar Evandreill » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Alright, excellent clarification. I am definitely on the right track, now.

To Magnus, I suppose my wording was poor in my last post. I wouldn't mind making a realm, and from your information, it seems I may have to. It was just that my questions were being asked with the unit site specifically in mind. The only worry I have about establishing a realm is that I know for a fact at least one Houston unit that is vastly more experienced than I (Clan Malice, led by Greminskull, I believe). The only knowledge I have is what I've read, and very little real-world experience in foam-smithing.

Anyway, I will sort this out with Clan Malice, since only we can really take it from here. Thank you both for the guidance and your patience.
Nevar Evandreill
Recruit
Recruit

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:16 pm

I didn't know Greminkull was there now; that should help. Not that I know him personally, but I have seen him at a lot of Ragnaroks, so he knows what he's doing at least as far as Dagorhir is concerned.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby bangor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:36 am

This is of interest to me. Is it possible to be a recognized unit in Dagorhir and/or Belegarth but not in a realm?
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Derian » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:44 am

Sure, because neither Dagorhir nor Belegarth have any provisions for being a unit.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 am

There are a number of people who are "at large" members of a unit. For Dagorhir, I believe Rome has a few, not sure about other units or other games.

That said, it is really easy to form a unit; some chapters have really, really lax standards (like, you need two guys and that's it) whereas others require a written statement, a physical banner, a theme, and so on.

My advice is that you see if Greminkull has started a realm in the Houston area, and if so, whether you can start a unit in it.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote:There are a number of people who are "at large" members of a unit. For Dagorhir, I believe Rome has a few, not sure about other units or other games.

That said, it is really easy to form a unit; some chapters have really, really lax standards (like, you need two guys and that's it) whereas others require a written statement, a physical banner, a theme, and so on.

My advice is that you see if Greminkull has started a realm in the Houston area, and if so, whether you can start a unit in it.

Why does he need to start a unit IN a realm at all? Why can't he just start a unit?

Pick a symbol, a color scheme, all that jazz, bam, you have a unit. It's that simple.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra