Arma1/23

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Arma1/23

Postby Sir Cairbre » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:43 am

Last night I took Higlar and Edgethrop down to OSU campus to do a little cold weather ARMA. It was my second time with this group and Keith the instructor did a great job of explaining the concepts of ARMA; why they use the weapons the realism and technique they are trying to mimic. I had a blast. For fighting un-armored save the head and my knuckles I was very comfortable hitting each other with the hard plastic weighted blades, and their leather and duck tape boffers. Now don't take me wrong I never got fully blasted, 100% by one, nor did I fully blast someone else with one. Their takes a level of control to be able to participate, as I have been told.

After trying long sword, sword and small buckler, and rapier. I think that I like the rapier fighting the most. It reminds me heavily of my first days of fighting. In ARMA fighting they allow grabbing & swatting of the rapier blade with gloves and I was flabbergasted that the rapiers didn't hurt really at all even on full stabs, the blade bending like a giant spring.

I plan on going back and doing more rapier work for sure, as well as some more of the other styles. Coming home I had a sore week-side foot, I think it is from the 'L' stance lunges while fencing, and maybe some of the hits, and I have a couple minor bruises, all from wicked hits I received with the plastics I am pretty sure. I got gorged in the throat under my helmet and it hurts to talk and swallow slightly. In the future I think I will don my kydex SCA gorget while fighting, until I adjust to better defending my head and neck against stabs.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Re: Arma1/23

Postby Arrakis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Ever try SCA Side-sword?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Sounds like fun. I hope to learn WMA in the future, some time, when I am less busy.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Sir Cairbre » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:49 am

Arrakis wrote:Ever try SCA Side-sword?

I may have, shoot me a link of give me a better description of what you are talking about.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 am

Kind of an old proposal, but I'm too lazy to find more recent revisions: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/fencing/sca ... sword.html
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports