Folkbeard, Amtgard, and death

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Folkbeard, Amtgard, and death

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:00 am

arthon wrote:
Crynolyn wrote:I don't consider girl on girl mud wrestling to be homoerotic, that's what I call entertainment ;)

QFT

But since we's talking about issues with Amtgard, I noticed on y'all's wiki that many realms formally recognize 'knights' now.

I believe that the path to knighthood has always been one of Amtgard's greatest strengths as a game (cause it makes people strive to excel) and also one of its greatest weaknesses (cause of the intense political infighting and shenanigans that result from the process of getting the title).

Has it been a mixed bag for y'all as well?

-arthon

Although realms do recognize knights, it's more complicated than that.

In Belegarth a squire does not go through a tier system as in Amtgard, nor is his titled granted by his realm (except occasionally, if someone has no knight near him to squire to, he may start a "branch" of knighthood by squiring to his realm). A squire attains knighthood by squiring to an already established knight, who comes up with his own set of requirements, and has his own system of ceremony and so on. Although a knight is usually a knight of ________, it's the job of the realm to determine what it takes to gain this title, usually it's just earning your knighthood and being a member of said realm.

Squireship usually takes a couple of years of service to the sport, and ends in a fighting trial, which varies based on the tradition of the parenting knight.

Knighthood, like so many things in Belegarth, is something where you get out of it what you put into it. Their are certainly easier and harder paths to knighthood, but the sport is watching you (those white tabards stick out ;) ) and they see what kind of dedication and hard work you're putting in. The amount of respect you have as a knight is proportional, usually, to what you put into your squireship.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:13 pm

I'm currently about four months away from being knighted, after two years of squiring and a good bit of service to the game, mostly in the realm of teaching people how to fight and helping out at events. I also founded a realm a few years ago.

My thought is that Knighthood is a role-playing decision. If someone wants his or her character to be a knight, then they opt into the group of knights in the game, and they learn how to play a knight character. Doing so involves a lot of dedication, in terms of fighting ability, service, creativity, and so on, but ultimately, it's all about role playing as a knight.

Because of this, there is no necessity or pressure put on people to become knights. A fighter who isn't a knight doesn't (or shouldn't) feel like a lesser fighter, nor should a fighter who has no interest in becoming a knight feel like he or she is doing it wrong. At the same time, the only people who are "knights" are the people who really want to pretend to be knights, rather than everyone who feels he or she needs to get ahead in the game by becoming a knight.

I decided to become a squire, and ultimately a knight, because I like the idea of having my own heraldry, and because I like the idea of putting a lot of effort into my equipment (garb, weapons, armor), my fighting (skills, event attendance), my participation in the game (running events, training new fighters, holding an office in my realm) and my character.

There are a lot of "knights" out there who don't look particularly knightly, nor do they act that way. I hope to be a good knight, by having a kit (garb, armor, and weapons) that is based on period examples, by acting in an honorable fashion, and by being a good fighter who is willing to help other fighters get better. Sure, many "knights" largely reject the notion of role-playing altogether, but here's a secret--all the people who call themselves knights are roleplaying, because no one in this game is actually a knight. And as long as I'm going to be pretending to be something I am not, I may as well do it right. Right?
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby arthon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote:And as long as I'm going to be pretending to be something I am not, I may as well do it right. Right?

Fair enough. I like the system that you and Big Jimmy have described.
arthon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1988
Realm: Amtgard
Unit: The Chosen of BoB
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, baby.

Postby Sir Killian » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:30 pm

seeing both systems and being a knight in belegarth... i can say it is purely personal... knighthood in belegarth is about a knight and squires relationship and the growth they can attain... and on most cases when a knight feels their squire is ready he/she has the right to drop the sword with out asking realm or monarchy.... and is not forced to follow a cookie cutter pattern for their requirements....

that allows for knighthood to 1 be more personal 2 be more interesting 3 be harder to attain (pending knight)

we police ourselves, a job no sport should be forced to do

hopefully that makes sense... i am a bit tired at the moment
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby bangor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 am

Well, it looks like this thread has run it’s course, and much insightful thought has come from it. See what happens when you can talk intelligently instead of acting like a fifth grader? If any of you from the PizzaHut board are trolling here, this is what cross game talk should look like, not “nah nah nah boo boo.”

First, Bangor thank you Giggles for such a fantastic reply. The woes that you had to experience could happen in any system, and your experience serves as a reminder and warning of what happens when winning becomes more important than having fun. Oh, and Belegarth has Marshals! Nah nah nah boo boo!

Now, what Bangor thinks are the problems with Amtgard. We’ll start with some history though. Bangor is part of the unit/company Frostbrew, which originally started as a Belegarth unit and became a fighting company when an Amtgard chapter started up locally eight years ago. That spirit carried over into Amtgard, and we still use edhelens and plywood-backed bash-legal shields. For years, the way our park played Amtgard was physically equivalent to Belegarth and PizzaHut minus the grappling. That makes my experience vastly different from most other Amt players, and gives me a unique perspective.

So, what’s wrong with Amtgard?

Magic. Bangor hate magic. As a game dynamic there’s no problem with being hit with a ‘freeze tag’ ball and having to freeze in place. You hit me, you got me, fine. Pointing at me and killing me from across the field has cost me participation in no less than twelve epic melee battles. The spellballs are fine, because it’s essentially a small rock with a special effect. Verbal offensive magic is what sets the silliness over the edge.

The stickjock culture. This is what puts an F into Fantasy and A into A**hole. The stand-up members of this segment are visionary leaders, friendly people, and driven individuals. The swarth of wannabe number-ones are often petty, egotistical, and have a knack for sucking all the fun out of what you are doing. The median tolerates it all, because they are only there to fight and improve themselves, and fighting a-holes is still fighting. What this does in reality is makes a permissible hostile environment, as Giggles noted, and it’s that much sillier when you factor in that they are using pool noodles and golf club shafts.

Light-ash weapons
. Bangor hates the speedbat. Krom bless Belegarth and PizzaHut both for the 12oz limit on blues. Seriously. Bangor hates getting lightly skimmed by a three-ounce weapon and being expected to have lost an arm or a leg. There is a concept of intrinsic suspension of disbelief, and it’s lost on this crowd; half the weight of a real sword is bad enough, these things are just ugly. You are not a better fighter because you can swing a twig around faster than steel rod.

That’s it. That’s Bangor’s major beef with Amtgard, and enough that Belegarth and PizzaHut are almost a more attractive option. Almost is an operative word, for no sport is without its problems.

The stickjock culture. It’s beginning to infect Dag and is the current standard for Bel. When a group of monsters states they don’t role-play on national T.V, you can just feel the creep setting in. If you are wearing green paint, grunt a lot, and call yourself an orc, you are probably a duck. That’s role-play enough. In PizzaHut, they say they have no magic. Yet there is a healer ‘class’ that has to recite a poem to heal. That’s the exact same thing the Amtgard Healer does, except the amt-healer uses less syllables. The healer got bushwhacked in the Belegarth rules, finishing any inherent RP in your set of rules (except maybe rule 2.5). I will have to admit that from what I’ve seen at Rhun, Belegarth does stickjockery the right way. You don’t step on orc toes, and they don’t eat yours.

The concept that the rules are simplest. If Amtgard were boiled down to melee-only(which is pretty much all they do now), its ruleset would be the simplest by merit that it doesn’t include five types of combat action, (shield check, shield push, shield bashing, shield kicking, grappling) and two less kinds of specific weapon damage (5 white, 3 green). Stabbing is blue damage, head is always off limits. Even the more complicated armor rules could be condensed into about the same space yours occupies now. This shows there’s still an element of “know what someone else says, not what’s true” still present in your overall game psyche. It’s rampant in PizzaHut. Bangor hates this kind of mentality.

Head hits. Bangor likes that arrows, javs, and rocks can hit heads. Bangor doesn’t like that if you get hit in the head, that by the rules, you technically have to take the following hits afterward. This was the same case in Amtgard under ruleset 6.0. Amtgard currently has the best and safest rule, which is that if struck in the head with an illegal shot, you may not attack or be attacked until you indicate that you are fine. It keeps you on the field, keeps tempers down. Getting hit in the head and killed after makes Bangor want to punch you in the throat until you bleed teeth.

Armor. Leather and metal are the same thing. QUOI?!? That’s so lame Bangor had to use French. You both go on about how realistic this is, how semi-authentic this is, and everyone is wearing leather (but beautiful leather!). To top it off, rigid metal elbows, knees, and full helmets are dangerous, but the whole rest of the cuirass, arms, legs, and partial helms are not. This sense makes not. Currently, Amtgard is the only system that if I drop $2000 on real armor, I can really wear it out to the field provided it doesn’t have spikes all over it. No one ever does because A. Amtgardians are also poor, and B. a wizard will point at you and kill you, or hit you with a freezetag ball, or drumroll your back. Functionally speaking, however, you could wear it. Not Belegarth, not PizzaHut, not even the reverend SCA allows for that.

Well, enough negativity, what rocks about Bel?

Attitude. When I went to Rhun last year, I saw something no Amtgard park or event could come close to – discipline. When the marshal called a water break, EVERYONE got off the field and drank water. When a marshal made a call, no one argued. There were activities aside from endless fighting, some even inventive, like a paddleball competition and an iron man competition. *Note to self: Do not stuff stomach full of fast food before iron man tourny* I also noted a distinct lack of self-assured a-holes on the field even though I would clearly call all participants stick-jocks, save for one orc chick who was a stick-flurb. This shows me that stickjock culture can be done properly and in a fun way. I’ve never seen anything in Amtgard like it, and it makes me want to come back for more.

Head shots
. Bangor likes that a rock to the noggin rocks the noggin! The availability of head shots from projectiles inarguably increases the level of realism. It also increases the need to watch for safety but…

Safety. Belegarth/PizzaHut wins on three levels here. First, you actually give a darn. That ties into attitude, but it’s especially visible when it comes to how much safer the game is when you have ‘referees’ that do what they are supposed to. I remember visiting our local PizzaHut chapter, Klar. One of our Frostbrew weapons was a curved scimitar that was heavy enough, but twisted a bit around the core. Tossed. Right. Out. We used that same weapon in Amtgard a week later, and I got cored hard when the foam twisted around the shaft on a particularly robust shot. Second, construction techniques demand more safety than the other sports, with the exception of stabbing tips. Amtgard stabs seem to be friendlier than any of the Bel constructions I’ve seen, but my statement stands: Bel construction is heads above in terms of safety. Third, your play style has inherently safer features. We spar Belodag after our standard Amtgard practices about once a month. We noticed something weird: Belegarth/PizzaHut seemed safer. Despite the shield bashing, the kicking, the grappling, and the stuff that makes the average Amtgardian’s eyes bulge out and say “You’re crazy,” it was safer. We noticed less head shots in particular, a similar distribution of hand hits, and no further damage from the increased selection of attacks, even the grappling was especially safe when done Greco-roman style. I think this is because with a higher weight to the weapons, you throw fewer shots, and you must make those shots count.

Shield bashing, shield kicking, and generally using your shield as a…shield! Man, this is fun. I love pushing the shield down on a legged fighter, knocking them to the ground, and hacking them to pieces. I love kicking a shield and losing my leg for being stupid. I love punching the edge of my shield into the other fighter’s chest and watching the reel back from the sheer impact. Hot damm is that good fun. Don’t have that in Amtgard. We had a particularly obese fighter who would sit in a corner with a tower shield and bastardsword. It was big enough that only his head could be hit. It woulda been nice to be able to bowl him over and do a liposuction via axe, but Amtgard doesn’t have that. Krom bless the bash. Also, that a shield always counts for damage is a good thing, I don’t care what anyone says. Shields were made to absorb damage at all times, not just when they were in your hand.

Grappling. This makes Bangor even more tricky and diverting…Bwhahahaahaa!! There’s been a number of times where Frostbrew members will enter a fight with only a shield when open field is called…and steal weapons by grappling. Man is that fun.

The people. You guys rock.
Last edited by bangor on Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Oisin » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:36 pm

Very interesting and insightful post, thanks Bangor.

Just as couple notes for clarification--

The PizzaHut healer rules have not been used as written in AGES . . . the current iteration is called combat medics or something like that, and is a rule used occasionally in large battles, wherein there are a few appointed medics on each team who wear a red cross headband, are normal combatants, and tie bandages onto injured limbs to heal them, with no spell or poetry or anything weird like that. They cannot revive dead fighters.

I hate leather = metal as well, and I hate it when people go around talking like leather armour is actually going to do **** to protect you. Leather armour is toy armour that silly adults use to play silly games . . . it may be pretty, but it's not armour, it's a pretty, expensive toy. It is NOT real armour! If you want to go take a full-thickness rawhide, harden that, and laminate it with a dozen layers of heavyweight linen, then you've got real amour . . . that's just as heavy and stiff as steel armour anyway. 12 oz unhardened leather is better than nothing, this is true, but it is incredibly inferior as a protective garment . . . especially when you're just sewing little squares of it into pockets in thin cotton. That stuff wouldn't do jack **** to protect you against someone who really wanted to kill you. My steel lamellar will stop a sword. How do I know this? Because I've tried. While I was wearing it. How many of you people wearing leather ninjabrig would let me hit you with a real sword while you're wearing it? No hands? Good, then no Darwins to be handed out today. That being said, I'd rather have people wearing toy armour than introduce armour points into our game(s). I'm a huge proponent of the idea that leather armour should not stop single greens, as a way of evening the two out.

Oh, and if you weight it right, you can use weapons in our game that weigh and balance the same as real swords. The blue sword I use the most weighs 29 oz, nearly two lbs . . . which is not all that less than a lot of swords of the same length (about 35 inches) actually weigh, usually less than 2.5 lbs.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Very thoughtful and insightful Bangor, just as I expected.

My rant on Amtgard was a little negative sounding. I'll admit I was a little * off while writing it. I hope that people reading it can read between the lines and spot the hyperbole.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Bangor, I find it interesting that you love the safety inherit in Belodag grappling, but at the same time would love to see more metal armor. This is the one time where metal armor on the field makes me very nervous.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bangor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:38 pm

I honestly don't see how a partial metal helm, say a dome of metal with leather ear flaps, is any more safe than a full helm. The major points of likely contact are covered in the same places (primarily head-to-head contact about the equator of the head). I know exactly what you are getting at, but the risk is already there with partial metal helms. There is no overall increase in safety with the rule if a legal helm can cause as much damage as an illegal helm.

The next problem is the falling hazard. If a guy in plate falls on someone, even the curiass is going to hurt as much as any other part. It's strange to think that rounded metal elbows are going to cause a much more grievous injury, when the rest of the armor is perfectly fine. It's illogical to think this. If the material of one part of the armor is dangerous, the material itself causes the danger. If the material causes the danger, the other parts must be more dangerous than using other materials.

For instance, a fighter falls on me with his forearm. The forearm may be covered in metal, which is okay, and will land with about the same impact force as an elbow. There is no gained safety here, because the I'm suffering an equivalent injury from a legal source. Once again, if there is ever a legal source of injury that is equivalent to an injury from an illegal source, no overall safety is gained.

Furthermore, I'm aware that a few tests have been conducted at full combat speed by Magnus and the Empire of Medieval Pursuits that show this rule does not increase overall safety.

Certainly, spiky protrusions are an issue, as well as most types of winged cops, but I chalk this up to your outstanding sense of safety erring on the side of too safe, and not in the most logical fashion. Logically speaking, only rigid torso armor would be allowed under the safest interpretation. All head, arm, and leg collisions that are likely are accounted for in this situation, yet the rules still retains the possibility of wearing rigid metal armor.

Realistically speaking, a possible solution would to only allow grappling weapons and shields from fighters wearing full rigid metal plate. There is already a precedent with bow-users for special grappling rules based on equipment, and this is a extension which might help get more metal on the field. Tired of being wrestled to the ground? Save up for some plate!
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 am

I really think you're going to enjoy the Lord of War event, Bangor.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:34 am

Bangor, I agree that allowing some metal armor pieces and not others isn't very consistent, but if we'd go one way or the other on it, I'd prefer to just ban rigid metal armor in our game.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Oisin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:00 am

The full metal helms rule was intended to prevent silly SCA helms with bug faces more than anything else. There's no real perception, at least among people I've talked to, that the full metal helmets rule is for safety, but because we don't want people wearing, well, helmets with bar grills. From the playability perspective, that would give people full facial protection against arrows without the drawback of having a vision-restricting faceplate on your helmet. Even the cheekplates on mine noticeably restrict peripheral vision.

I think that Dagorhir's rule, banning non-period grills, is more effective, but that's just the way it is. This:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/scholarmage/SGD202 ... elmani.gif

Is my helmet, and it is a legal helmet in Belegarth, although I usually wear it and use it with the cheekplates removed (to save on peripheral vision, and because most arrows hit the bowl or nasal, not the cheeks). In any case, as far as safety is concerned, that's as full a metal helmet as it takes, but it's a legal helmet in Belegarth, and Dagorhir.

As far as rest of rigid metal armour goes, I think that there is a legitimate concern about elbows and knees, that being that these are, broadly and unscientifically speaking, point contact locations rather than surface contact locations, and also the parts of your body that you fall on the most often with the most force. If you fall on someone with your plate steel bracer, you're almost certainly contacting them with a relatively wide surface that distributes the impact across a wider area. Not the case with your knee or your elbow . . . you're hitting with a small surface, and across one that your body is designed to channel its falling force into (especially the knees!).

I don't know whether or not this is valid reasoning, or a correct assessment, and research may show that it isn't, but I think it's silly to say that greaves that end below the knee, or bracers that end below the elbow (not to mention rerebraces or cuisses on the upper limbs) present the same safety concern as cops on the middle-limb joins. You just don't land with the middle of the long bones the way you do on the joints between them. I've had big guys fall on me knees first before, and it's a really unpleasant experience that I can only imagine would be more unpleasant if those joints had been armoured in steel instead of leather. To be honest, elbows concern me much less than knees, mostly because as Magnus has pointed out, your elbow is already a really hard pointed surface, whereas your knees, while hard, have a fair bit of capability to absorb impact. They're designed to mitigate impact force, and covering them in cops significantly decreases that capability externally, whereas elbow cops are just making an already hard object a little bit harder.

In any case, I can't disagree more strongly with Jimmy. People should be encouraged to wear real armour instead of toy armour.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

I like you Bangor.
We agree about pretty much everything concerning both Amtgard and Bel.
We need to have some drinks and stuff and talk about this.
Come to Chaos War. I'll set you up.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Arrakis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:05 am

Jimmy's idea would at least shut people up about how leather is so much less protective than metal yadda yadda etc etc and metal should be immune to arrows and leather should be pierced by single greens and so on and so forth.

Look. Metal would stop a **** of a lot more blows that ONE. Leather would probably stop a couple, truth be told, before you'd sustain the sort of damage we portray in our game. So, no rigid metal would at least stop the * whining about wanting more points or whatever because you choose to encumber yourself.

On that note, however, if I ever end up near a group that holds events again (or maybe some year at Geddon or Beltaine or something), I'd like to hold a Belegarth Pas d'Armes-style tournament. At least half-harness is required and the armor requirements would be heavy chain, thick, hardened leather, or metal. No layered leather, no unhardened leather, no ultra-big diameter chain. Three-quarter or greater coverage helms required, headshots allowed. Each round fought until one combatant has received ten blows (or some other number to be determined) and neither combatant portrays damage taken, just counts their hits, preferably aloud. That sounds like fun to me.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Oisin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:42 am

At least some of you are confident enough to be self-righteous about wearing pansie armour. :frog:

In other news, I'm up for a true-style tournament. I assume that it would be conducted with armour not counting as any sort of game protection?
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Arrakis » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am

Just counted blows.

Also, I have exactly three pieces of armor right now: a courbouilli gorget, a courbouilli bracer, and a plate-and-chain bracer. This should change as I start getting my SCA kit together/built.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:39 pm

With regards to metal knees and elbows:

I went to a Dagorhir event back in January hosted by a realm that allows metal knees and elbows. It was a high-intensity, densely packed field (about 60-70 fighters in an area the size of a basketball court, or maybe a tennis court with sidelines included) in which every battle featured at least one large pileup, if not several. No one was hurt by my metal elbows, or for that matter all of the metal cuirasses and helms that other fighters were wearing. Not even the guy I shoved to the ground with my elbow was hurt.

So, has anyone seen any fighter actually get hurt by safe metal armor? All of the incidents of people being hurt by metal armor are because the armor should not have been allowed according to the pre-existing rules standards, not because it was metal armor.

Maybe I will be allowed to wear my armor at the Lord of War event, won't that be fun.
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Oisin » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Did you land knees-first on anyone? It's not a particularly common happening, but tbh, until you show that landing kneesfirst on a fighter is not more dangerous when you're wearing metal cops on your knees than when you aren't, I'm not going to be satisfied. Whether that matters is a whole different issue, but showing that I'm wrong might be a good step towards actually getting this passed.

As I mentioned above, I'm not particularly concerned about elbows, its the knees that I think have a severe potential to cause injury at some point down the line.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Winfang » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:22 pm

My only concern with metal elbows/knees have been the damage that it can cause to weapons. People are resilient but a foam sword isn't. Many elbow/knee cops have wings on them that easily cut through to the core of a weapon ruining a good weapon. A good cloth cover will help prevent it, but it will happen. If the edges where rolled, then it would reduce the risk.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:13 pm

This realm only allows knee and elbow cops without rigid wings. I had some rondels laced to my elbows, and they flopped out of the way whenever they were hit.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Brennon EH » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Yeah, I'm just ruling out wings and whale tails.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Previous

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports