SCA Rules?

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SCA Rules?

Postby Halbrust » Sun May 03, 2009 12:51 am

I was watching some SCA videos.

Then I tried looking for their combat rules, but couldn't find them.

How does their combat work?
They looked like they were beating the **** out of each other and then one fell over. I swear each one had like 10 clean hits, including a few head shots ( I know they're legal, but they don't kill?)
Halbrust
Underling
Underling

Realm: Aggelgorod
Unit: Mercenary

Re: SCA Rules?

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 am

Headshots kill. Could be a number of those shots were considered "light".

General combat rules are found here, though some minor differences existed from kingdom to kingdom.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby tvetree » Sun May 03, 2009 9:01 am

True,hard to tell from watching with the sca .You pretty much have to be the one being hit to tell.

To save you a bit of reading(above link is great BTW).

1"above the knee and up(as in no lower legs) is a legal target,1" above the wrist(as in not the hand)is legal,every thing else is fair game.

Body and head shots = kill.
Limbs=lose of use of the limb.
Sca doesn't have a 2 limb kill ,you can loose a leg and an arm and still fight.
Force needed to kill varys a bit and tends to change from lighter to harder back to lighter with time(very wave like).The good range is almost always good enough but if you are on the weak side of good,a hard hitting group might not take your shots.So far,kinda the same as bel.
It doesn't take very much contact(shield,sword...) to take the force out of a shot,so you can block shots, but still be hit by them.Again you have to be there just because it hit you're shield doesn't mean it's not good.

Then comes blade edge.A flat shot doesn't count.Tipp shots and glancing don't count either.
Thrusting/stabbing gamewise are the same as a slash.
Face thrust only need to touch.(almost no force is needed,forcefull face thrust is not legal).

No grapppling.
No shield bashing to body parts.(But you can push on a shield or weapon).

Local areas may have other rules.
Be very sure you know "when you are engaged" for the place you fight.Almost no death from behind.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby gabefu » Tue May 05, 2009 12:35 pm

everything said above is true. The most common reasons for someone to think an SCA guy is sluffing are 1: he really is sluffing 2: he called light 3: he called glancing. Just like in reality/history the technology in the SCA has advanced through the years. Many folks wear helms and armor designed to cause glancing shots. bascinet style helms for example. And the rule pretty much SCA wide is "sufficient force", you have to hit with the rattan sword hard enough, that if that sword were steel, it would have penetrated armor and caused a killing/dehabilitating wound.
gabefu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1991
Favorite Fighting Styles: SCA , Amtgard, Sword n Board, Polearms

Postby varadin » Tue May 05, 2009 12:53 pm

one thing that really catches you off guard in sca is that a hit has to be a clean hit. If it touches anything on the way in sword, shield, glances off another limb, you ignore the shot. So in dag and bele where youll through a shot really hard they will block it but it will move the shield and youll get a hit. That same shot is ignored in the SCA
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Judas » Tue May 05, 2009 1:47 pm

They looked like they were beating the **** out of each other and then one fell over. I swear each one had like 10 clean hits, including a few head shots...

I don’t know what video you watched but it is not uncommon for two knights to fight to a counted number of blows. There are also certain tournaments and feats of arms when the rules decree this for everyone participating.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby tvetree » Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Varadin wrote:one thing that really catches you off guard in sca is that a hit has to be a clean hit. If it touches anything on the way in sword, shield, glances off another limb, you ignore the shot. So in dag and bele where youll through a shot really hard they will block it but it will move the shield and youll get a hit. That same shot is ignored in the SCA

This is not really true.Very close though.It is possable to still have a telling blow even after hitting shield edge/sword /or what have you.It is just that most of the time enough of the force of the shot is taken away with the contact.I've had shots blow through my sword block,or skip off my buckler and still hit with enough for me to take it.

On the same note I've stepped into a great sword swing early enough to remove the shot force without blocking at all.(Don't try this as it doesn't work very often.)

Counted blows are fun,kinda easy to lose count though.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Bortas » Tue May 05, 2009 4:01 pm

My only experience with heavy combat was counted blows, but it was only to three. It seemed fairly simple to keep up on, especially since you yelled out each hit. Of course.... maybe it just seemed simple after years of our style w/armor.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby tvetree » Tue May 05, 2009 4:18 pm

Bortas wrote:My only experience with heavy combat was counted blows, but it was only to three. It seemed fairly simple to keep up on, especially since you yelled out each hit. Of course.... maybe it just seemed simple after years of our style w/armor.

-bort

Yeap, but do a few back to back,and have them last a few minutes each.Soon you want to repeat the #2 as your head is still ringing from the 3rd shot last bout.

Where is the sarcasm button for I have failed! ?:(
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Halbrust » Tue May 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Thanks guys!

I'm guessing counted blows on the main one I was referrencing. The shot that dropped him seemed to hit with less force than some of the others.
Halbrust
Underling
Underling

Realm: Aggelgorod
Unit: Mercenary

Postby Stahlgrim » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Stahlgrim
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 1989
Unit: vondrackenklaue