SKBC 2009 Recap from FWACK

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SKBC 2009 Recap from FWACK

Postby Michael » Sun May 10, 2009 9:36 am

(or at least a member of it)

So here I sit in the Columbus Airport on the way home from SKBC 2009. It was a great success. For me and from what I hear for the rest of the FWACK organizing committee, this was SKBC back as it belongs. Interest in what we could provide was high in Ohio and all of the upper Midwest. We had a few things I might do differently next time but by and large it was a great success.

Among the areas I was most happy with, was the inclusion of the Belegarth guest instructors. I greatly want to thank, Peter the Quick and Bhakdar who both provided a lot of fun insight into your game to enthusiastic crowds of Amtgarders. The Belegarth ditching we did at SKBC was a lot more rough and tumble than park days in Rhun ever are but I am sure that was all the Amtgarders playing with shiny new concepts like grappling, bashing and kicking.

The total Belegarth attendance wasnt huge but it was very gratifying to see as much interest as there was. I talked to almost all the Bel people in attendance and most seemed to think what they had learned at out event might help them in your game.

After a second year of seminars, I think that idea continues to show results as a way to better serve more advanced students. Some of the seminar instructors told me that one real benefit of that format is that prior e-mail contact with their seminar students really allowed them to tailor the classes very efficiently. Obviously the majority of classes still need to be availible to all but having a few seminar classes seems like a great way to involve students in eachother's teaching.

This was also the second year we did one-on-one time cards. This was another area I felt worked. There were some schedule reading issues on the part of me and my staff, but even so it seemed worth the trouble.

There were also a few things I might change for next year. The ditch lights got a fair number of negative comments. Ironically I am sure that this year we had the same level of lighting that we had in 2005 in Seattle. Its a testament to our rising standards and something that FWACK obviously needs to work with local autocrats on in the future.

The ten AM start for classes was also too late. It definitely cut into our daylight ditches. Thats a bad thing because those ditches are are often the place where all the students can meet the isntructors directly in a combat environment, whether for the challenge or for coaching.

Finally the cold lunches, which I personally thought were a great idea, disappointed some who thought that the quicker digestion of cooked food was important in keeping energy high.

If you read this as a Bel or Dag fighter, I would encourage your comments. I am very interested in how useful our format and material was to you and how fun our teaching focused event was for you.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-12-1989
Realm: Ruhn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Punch

Re: SKBC 2009 Recap from FWACK

Postby Loptr » Sun May 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Forgot to add a couple items to my post on ESam.

Thanks for the autocrats and FWACk for a fine event.

A big thanks to PtQ and Bhakdar for making the trip and being willing to share your time and skillz with SKBC.

Ididnt really have a chance to interact with PtQ much but Bhakdar and I havd a few talks. I really ejnoy the infectiouse excitement B demonstrated. Both had great attitudes and brought an additional layer of greatness to the event.

For those of you who missed SKBC there was a huge amount of knowledge freely shared by people at the top of their game. Plan on next year and make it happen. Saving money now til next year will elimnate the, "I am broke excuse."

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Postby Brennon EH » Mon May 11, 2009 10:00 am

Peter and Bhakdar both did really well as first year instructors. It's always hard to branch into something new, but their material and execution was solid.

It was really nice to see Melennen again, and meet Varadin and Magnus.

Thanks very much for coming out, guys. I hope you all had as much fun with us as we had with you.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon May 11, 2009 6:02 pm

It was awesome. Thanks a lot.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Bhakdar » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 pm

To All Belegrim who planned to show and couldn't, I highly encourage you make it next year. Belegarth was received with arms more open than I ever could have anticipated. Every sword knight there got a raging boner when they heard you could hit people with your shield even harder than your sword.

The educational focus is awesome. The fact that everyone is there for a common cause gives the event its own sense of comradery and on the whole it totally fits a solid small event philosophy of work hard play hard. Amazing ditching, great times, next year-- be there. We have a lot to learn.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue May 12, 2009 12:04 am

Yah, I heard the Belegarth ditches all broke down to tons of amtgard guys running around and grappling and shield bashing eachother.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Loptr » Tue May 12, 2009 6:00 am

Big Jimmy wrote:Yah, I heard the Belegarth ditches all broke down to tons of amtgard guys running around and grappling and shield bashing eachother.

For a group that has rules express forbiding these things, that is the only logical action. I can bash? I can grapple? *boooiiiiiinnnnggggg*

Far more of this action than at a standard Bel event. But this is one of the things that turns me on about Bel and I tend to do it more than your avg Bel peep.

Y'all missed an amazing time.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Seriously......

Postby varadin » Tue May 12, 2009 6:51 am

This was my first amtgard event and overall it was pretty awesome.

Organization- Was kinda lax, and that was awesome, show up at troll(gate) and just pay and sign was no waivers no huge * line. Having no weapons check I honestly think kept most people thinking more about their weapon safety the whole event. Food was served on time for what i can tell and classes didnt seem to run long or too short (aside from brennon being slow to stabs and fients)

Food- Wasn't the best tasting but hell 6 meals for a 25 dollar event fee thats awesome. Id like to have had dinner been served a bit later to try and get some ditching in before hand.

Classes- There wasn't a class i was unhappy with. Some of them were a bit different then what i expected but they still got the point across. The Large man fighting was one of these, I was expecting it to be a bit more about the physical fighting and Margul focused a lot more on the Mental side(equally as important just wasn't what i expected). Dalos's one on many class was a lot more about just drilling then the tactics but it was nice to see people go up against many and then him break it down.

Ditching- Id like to have seen a time slot for ditching between your last class and dinner, and even before lunch possible. I kept finishing my class and getting in a few fights and then going to dinner and by the time i was back it was mostly dead. That or just one of the instructers keeping it going in between classes.

Sleeping- I almost got out my rattan on saturday night and beat a two guys to death because it was 4 am and they wouldn't shut up. Eventually after being asked nicely at the top of someones lungs to "shut the **** up" they did.

Amtgard in general- Holy **** are you **** fast and not just speed of movement but mentally. The hand read speed is insane fighting back home is going to be in slow mo tonight. SOME of your weapons scare the **** out of me. Poles mostly but i watched like 7 poolnoodle swords break mid fight on people. Poles with no stabbing tips scare me because im not used to pulling stabs, a guy rather gently placed one in my junk on saturday and had he actually put some motion into it id have been down for a while.

Your shot in motion rule * me off, I had a lot of people think they landed a shot on my arm and just blow off my next shot. That or you cant feel a thing threw catchers greeves. Speaking of which those things are **** ugly do people tend to put them under garb normally? or do they just always go around looking stupid? Maybe I was getting cheated because I leg hunt and was * people off too.

Head shots seem a bit more common and because of the tape on the weapons sting like hell. Id rather take a heavy softer stick to the dome any day. Had one guy hit me like 5 times in a row maybe he had a beef with me I walked off got some water. Right after that PTQ bought god * broke his forarm which made my night.

Texans- You guys rock, I wish i saw that passion for fighting and intensity anywhere else in foam combat. You hit hard and move amazing wish i could have gotten more time with any of you guys.

Mad props the event was one of the best ive been to in a long time. The 7-8? Cross gamers there was rather dissapointing was hoping for a lot larger showing.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Loptr » Tue May 12, 2009 7:41 am

Varadin wrote: Head shots seem a bit more common and because of the tape on the weapons sting like hell. Id rather take a heavy softer stick to the dome any day. Had one guy hit me like 5 times in a row maybe he had a beef with me I walked off got some water. Right after that PTQ bought god * broke his forarm which made my night.

The 7-8? Cross gamers there was rather dissapointing was hoping for a lot larger showing.

There were an aweful lot of newer fighters there. With the speed can come a lag in tip control. Perhaps I have been doing it so long I dont really notice the "sting" form the weapons vs. Bel headshots. I really doubt somebody was doming you on purpose.

Mechs are * ugly and peeps usualy wear them just as you saw. I had a pair I covered with studed leather but the were too * cumbersome.

Crossovers- was looking for a larger number too. Based on all the comments here I figured at least 20 would show.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Seriously......

Postby Wisp » Tue May 12, 2009 8:06 am

SKBC was great as always. I went to SKBC this year with two specific goals. Clean up my bad habits and work single sword. Every one of my classes this year with the exception of the bel sword and board was single sword. I was impressed with the wide range in theory just on single sword.

Brennon's Finishing School was absolutely wonderful.

Axegars advanced singlesword was actually "dirty fighting" which held a lot of promise for Bel technique.

The friday afternoon ditchline was Bel rules gone bonkers. We bashed and kicked more on that ditchline on that one afternoon than I've seen at most every other event or practice (Bel) combined. I hope the Amt style of ditch makes its way into Bel. I'm referring to speed of the game and ignoring the armor and missiles. I hate it when we do a Bel ditch and we are lined up across a field from each other. Thats not a ditch, thats a melee battle.

PTQ advanced single sword was a good refresher course. I enjoyed being in his first SKBC class and thought he did a great job. The material presented in that class should be the standard baseline for fighting. Was probably more of a basic single sword really, but the fundamentals and how they were presented should be drilled until second nature. I of course lost my notes sheet Peter handed out. Can you email me a new one Pete? I wanna use it at an upcoming company practice.

PTQ bel sword and board was a lot of fun. I got to partner up with Mel. * your a big dude Mel. Lot of fun to fight. Only crunched me by leaning on me once, thankfully.

MHOG and Marguls Team Fighting was a great class as well. Pretty standard and I would have liked to have seen what was presented as being a prereq to get into a more advanced version of the class. All the same, it was tremendously useful for my younger company mate and motivating to come home and hold more company practices with this same material as the base line source material. I especially liked this class as it had great theory followed by practical exercises and not just theory with Q&A.

The Bel peeps were all great! Amtgard higher end are generally really stoked about cross-gaming with Bel and I think that was obvious on the ditch. I really really hope Lord of War takes off and has a heavy Bel attendance. Being a cross-over player and doing either Bel or Amt depending on the weekend is one thing, but having everyone come together on common ground should be mind blowing.

Thanks FWACK staff! You guys kicked * this year. It was great to see the Bel and one Dag folk I knew again, and meet the new faces. Great attitudes and good people!

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Cyric » Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 am

Did any of the classes get taped? i'd like to see them.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Michael » Tue May 12, 2009 9:15 am

Like every year, there were students running tape in about a quarter of the classes. Most years it takes a few weeks for the video to get cleaned up and posted though. I will try to link any of it from the Amt boards here.
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Postby arthon » Tue May 12, 2009 10:34 am

Hey, all,

As has been mentioned, thanks again to Bhakdar and Peter for teaching this year. Also thanks to all the Bel folks who showed up (and Dag, but that was only Magnus). We haven't started taking bids for SKBC 2010, but once we settle on a location, I hope to see many more Bel and Dag (and Darkon and whoever else) guys roll out. Having y'all there with your differing perspectives adds to the whole event. Plus, I really like grappling peeps and killing them with their own sword. Lot o' fun. Lot o' soreness, too. I've been actively working on physical conditioning for the last three months in preparation for this event, but I was pretty much blown out by Saturday. All the leaping, checking, wrestling and kicking took it out of me. That and I was using Belegarth-weighted swords the entire event so, now, my forearm is done (Didn't want to have an unfair advantage over you Bel and Dag boys ;) .

Again, had a great time, hope to see more of you next year.

Arthon
arthon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Mar 1988
Realm: Amtgard
Unit: The Chosen of BoB
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, baby.

Postby p_quick » Tue May 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Wisp wrote: Can you email me a new one Pete? I wanna use it at an upcoming company practice.

Yea i can get you another one, pm me your email addres and i'll send you to you.

The event was great! I plan on hitting alot more amtgard events in the future.

I also give my full recomendation to anyone that is thinking about going to SKBC next year, Awesome event!
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Cyric » Tue May 12, 2009 1:28 pm

People should post notes and handouts here too, for those of us who couldn't attend. With the instructor's permission, of course.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Michael » Tue May 12, 2009 1:59 pm

I have my notes in PDF format for my three classes (not my seminar). I would be happy to post them here. in the past these notes have been linked on the SKBC website and they might be again. Still at this time they arent hosted. What would be the prefered way to post them here?
I <3 my quicktube.
Michael
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Derian » Tue May 12, 2009 2:47 pm

Michael -

Email them to me and I'd be happy to host them.

derian@belegarth.com
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue May 12, 2009 2:58 pm

God, I wanted to go SOOOO bad, stupid sister graduating college.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Loptr » Tue May 12, 2009 8:34 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:God, I wanted to go SOOOO bad, stupid sister graduating college.

Excuses
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Seriously......

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports