Questions for Okfest

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Questions for Okfest

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:48 pm

Hey, not sure if this is the right forum (if not, I can post it in another one) but I am concerned that my square-tipped stabby swords may not pass at Okfest. Is there someone who can give me a few opinions? I already talked with Derian, who seemed to feel that being flat-ended wouldn't be a reason for them to fail, but I figured I might as well solicit some other opinions.

Personally, I can't see why they would fail (they are good swords and very safe) but I've heard that Bel doesn't like them, so.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Re: Questions for Okfest

Postby Dane » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:35 pm

If it passes template and passes the hit test, it should be fine. Numenor runs this event, and we're about as stab-friendly as you can get, so you ought to be in good shape.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:50 pm

My understanding is that the template will be checked from all angles, rather than head-on. Is that the case?
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Dane » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:57 pm

1.3.3. Two and one-half inch rule-No surface on a striking edge (sword tip, arrow head, spear head, javelin head, etc.) whether designed for stabbing or not, may readily pass more than 0.5 inch through a 2.5 inch hole; swords with a semicircular tip, with a minimum 1.5 inch radius are exempt from this rule. See Appendix A, 1.4.4.2.

You and your squared swords...

I take it that if one were to template the corners, it would fail. We haven't seen enough flat-topped swords to have an "official" ruling on this. However, I would think that since a semicircular sword has two corners, as well, and the rules don't seem to think that's a safety issue, then your flat-topped sticks should be fine.

The spirit of the rule seems to intend to prevent eyes from being poked out from a misguided stab, so I'd pass your swords, and most if not all of the people I typically do weapons check with would pass your weapons, provided they're not failing in another capacity.

If all else fails, we can build them Mickey Mouse ears with open cell...
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I would say they have about as much chance of passing as my speed bat at a dag event.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby kree » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:08 am

ive never been stabbed by a square stabby tip but as long as you cant feel core at the end it should pass for blue, stabbing is for the birds anyway....jk
The Shnitzel
Squire to Sir Dameon

kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:37 am

Dane wrote:
1.3.3. Two and one-half inch rule-No surface on a striking edge (sword tip, arrow head, spear head, javelin head, etc.) whether designed for stabbing or not, may readily pass more than 0.5 inch through a 2.5 inch hole; swords with a semicircular tip, with a minimum 1.5 inch radius are exempt from this rule. See Appendix A, 1.4.4.2.

You and your squared swords...

I take it that if one were to template the corners, it would fail. We haven't seen enough flat-topped swords to have an "official" ruling on this. However, I would think that since a semicircular sword has two corners, as well, and the rules don't seem to think that's a safety issue, then your flat-topped sticks should be fine.

The spirit of the rule seems to intend to prevent eyes from being poked out from a misguided stab, so I'd pass your swords, and most if not all of the people I typically do weapons check with would pass your weapons, provided they're not failing in another capacity.

If all else fails, we can build them Mickey Mouse ears with open cell...

The corners on a semi circular sword don't come anywhere near my face. I think it's far more likely that a square tip sword corners someone in the eye than a semicircular tip sword stabs someone in the eye, we should be more diligent on the corners, not less.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:19 am

while i tend to agree jimmy, i am unsure of the actual saftey hazard.

i understand that the corner may get into the eye, but honestly dag has had this for years and all of the still have 2 eyes. i would pass them, provided they are good in all other ways, and i am sure they are, magnus has a good rep, and generally a good guy as far as i have seen.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:44 am

Why thank you, Bo.

Worst comes to worst, I could just cut the corners off, but that would actually make the weapon less safe. The tip is squared in order to provide a larger surface for the impact and make it easier for the tip to deform around the target. The corners themselves are basically just marine foam with some tape over them, so they really aren't going to put anyone's eye out.

I did make a Derian/PtQ style stabby sword, but it hits a LOT harder and I am frankly not sure it's going to pass. But at least it's rounded!
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby varadin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:20 am

Magnus what was your base on the Bele stab design blue foam or eva? Either way it should pass out there. Bele has a far higher hit tollerance on stabs then anything in dag. Ive yet to get hurt by a stab like it so im still fighting for a firmer stab in dag.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:51 pm

It's a 3-layer wrap box design, so the tip is 3/4" of marine foam over 3 layers of blue.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby varadin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:38 pm

should be fine
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:06 pm

I've never seen anyone get stabbed in the eye either, but a rule is a rule, you can't pick or choose it's enforcement. We're not even **** with the wording and pulling stuff out of no where. If the rule is used exactly as it's clearly written, they fail for the same reason a just as safe sword that's seen a little wear and tear on the tip will: They both break a rule I've never seen save anyone, useless rules must be uniformly uselessly applied.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Just thought I would update:

All my square-tipped swords passed at Okfest, except one that failed for stabbing perhaps because a) it is a heavy sword, 24oz blue, and b) it was cold so the marine foam was a lot stiffer than usual.

So, that was a nice thing to happen.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports