My Humble Apologies(Noticable Force in Dag)

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: My Humble Apologies(Noticable Force in Dag)

Postby Athron » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Isk -- Is the goal of your comparison to compare the literal words inside the two rules books, or is it to interpret the rules as they are used in practice to assist in the cross-gamers actual fighting experience? I only ask because I believe that, depending on which goal you're pursuing, you would be driven to including different content in your materials. For example, if your goal is the former, it makes sense you're telling Alric that he's "wrong" and the MoA specifically says one thing... but if your goal is the latter, shouldn't you attend very closely to the experiences shared by Dag cross-gamers here who are trying to explain to you their *actual* Dagorhir experience?

If you have both goals simultaneously, things may be tricky for cross-gamers, as, for better or worse, the way Dagorhir is actually played by the overwhelming number of people is not consistent with the exact language in the existing MoA (which is another story, of course, but one that is already playing out across a gajillion threads, so no reason to revisit that here).

Appreciate the work you're doing, just my two cents.
Fun fact: Being a D*** doesn't make you throw a better wrap shot.
Athron
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Alric » Thu May 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Isk wrote:
Squire Dacian wrote:There's a lot of cool dudes out there who don't enforce this, but some take it as being the same as "nope, not taking that shot", instead of "that was close, but it didn't hit me".

The thing is, I've never met someone who gave me as much as a funny look for calling garb, and I go to a lot of events (though all on the east coast). I've never met one of these 'some [who] take it as being the same as...' people, so I have trouble taking Dacian's statement as anything more than the internet paranoia that crops up frequently in any online community, where someone reads something (or hears it at RWC) and assumes that people's behavior is actually following the new wording. On the ground, at Dag events, it doesn't work this way (unless midwest Dagorhir is different on this than out here in the east).

I read FB's post this same way, too.

These things play out differently at real Dagorhir events than when you only read the rulebook.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Postby varadin » Thu May 06, 2010 8:52 pm

Alric you are right there, things play out differently. But new groups who follow the rules to the T, who have been doing so for a while do have a problem with it. Midwest dagorhir doesn't have a lot of it but I know of 2 realms in ohio alone i have been yelled at for calling light in. I have seen it elsewhere too its not just an internet paranoia thing, while it is the minority it does exist.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Isk » Thu May 06, 2010 9:50 pm

You make a good point Athron. I have mostly tried to stick to the rules as they are written, but I am really trying to accomplish both goals. We have pointed out a couple of times in the thread associated with that comparison table that people should check with the local group to see how their interpretation works out.

Maybe, I ought to say where I personally am coming from here. I fought in the early nineties for about 4 years and then returned to the game February last year to discover this whole split nonsense had taken place. I have read extensively on why and who, etc. and have a pretty good idea how it all went down. I want us to move on and am trying to make the best of the current situation. Like Caretaker said, we really are still playing the same game and I want to make it as easy as possible for cross-gaming to occur. In all the fighting I have done with dag and bel people since coming back (only about 8 inter-realm events, 3 with dag groups), the variation from realm to realm easily exceeds the differences going from dag to bel (with the couple of equipment requirement exceptions). Western Dag peeps are pretty awesome in my experience.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Caretaker » Fri May 07, 2010 12:03 am

Isk wrote:You make a good point Athron. I have mostly tried to stick to the rules as they are written, but I am really trying to accomplish both goals. We have pointed out a couple of times in the thread associated with that comparison table that people should check with the local group to see how their interpretation works out.

Maybe, I ought to say where I personally am coming from here. I fought in the early nineties for about 4 years and then returned to the game February last year to discover this whole split nonsense had taken place. I have read extensively on why and who, etc. and have a pretty good idea how it all went down. I want us to move on and am trying to make the best of the current situation. Like Caretaker said, we really are still playing the same game and I want to make it as easy as possible for cross-gaming to occur. In all the fighting I have done with dag and bel people since coming back (only about 8 inter-realm events, 3 with dag groups), the variation from realm to realm easily exceeds the differences going from dag to bel (with the couple of equipment requirement exceptions). Western Dag peeps are pretty awesome in my experience.

I really respect this. I myself have been trying my hardest to have an influence on our units and keeping the peace so everyone can enjoy themselves and just have some fun. This topic was sent to me by someone who is just like you, who cares very much about the people in our games. He was worried that this was going to effect our experience with going to yestare next week. However, I was not real worried, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless we said so:p oops, i just did, lol.

St George is pretty cool too. We really enjoyed ourselves at WOR. And your indian food was amazing. If you ever need a partner in crime, let me know:D

Thank you as always Isk for your help and Information.
Caretaker
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 26 Oct 2008
Realm: BaradDun and Angaron
Unit: The Black Lions and The Iron Hills Clan
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board/Spear

Postby Reverend » Fri May 07, 2010 8:34 pm

As someone who can finally say he's cross-gamed, I'm glad I did so in the west. The Vegas guys were more than understanding in those few instances where the differences in my understanding of the rules didn't mesh with their interpretation.

Isk, your comparison really helped me and the rest of my crew out when we were prepping for the trip to Fools Raid.

Thanks for putting in all the work.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Isk » Sat May 08, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm glad to hear it, Rev. More cross-gaming!
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Dedric » Sun May 09, 2010 3:59 pm

First of all, I HAVE told people I couldn't call garb. But I explained the spirit of the rule calmly, and called garb anyway, since the rules ALSO say a SOLID strike.

Isk, maybe you should use the letter of the law in the chart, along with a parenthetical statment. Such as:

Garb counts as hit in the rules (however the rules also require a substantial strike, and most fighters support only taking hits that would have penetrated the garb and struck solidly). That way both concepts are honored.
Dedric
Underling
Underling

Postby varadin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:49 am

sufficient force is back as per RWC of rag 25.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Dacian » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:19 pm

Varadin wrote:sufficient force is back as per RWC of rag 25.

*abundant cheers*
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:25 pm

I know. This is a great thing for Dagorhir.
I aplaud your good sense, Sirs.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:18 pm

And all across the land there was rejoicing.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:01 am

**** yeah.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Blackhawk » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 am

Bout time!!

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Kyrax » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am

Forkbeard wrote:I know. This is a great thing for Dagorhir.
I aplaud your good sense, Sirs.
FB

Except for one lone vote holding out for "noticeable", everyone supported the "sufficient" wording.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:32 pm

There ARE a few people talking about being against this over there.
That's just **** wierd to me.
They are saying this sufficent force wording will only make it so people can justify rhino hiding and people are just waiting for this change so they can cheat.
That's **** retarded(see BlackHawk, I'm being nice over there). NOT being allowed to call light on LIGHT hits is what this makes this game better than the light contact games.
Requiring sufficient force define who we are as fighters. I'm so glad you guys got that fixed. Things were drifting a little further apart than I liked.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tiercel » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:53 pm

If you want to defeat the rule, why not construct a special * weapon that could never deliver a solid hit, and go legally kick * tapping with it at a Dag event until they get frustrated and change the rule back?

Just a thought.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Slagar » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:46 pm

There are several weapons made specially, either wrapped in packing tape or using some other method, and built to sting more, so that you achieve a 'hard enough' hit without actually delivering the same amount of force (as measured objectively in newtons or whatever). The schools of thought vary a lot on this one, but the simple fact is that there are lots of methods for doing exactly what you're desrcibing, and most of them have seen the field by now.

Quite simply, though, you can't deliver sufficient force to me if you can't hit me, so that's the general goal for me. Anything else seems to be mostly small details. While I'm pretty strongly on the side of real, actual force, this just seems like nitpicking at some point. Meh. I'll continue to call light on hits that don't hit hard enough. If you can make a minweight sword sting bad enough to count on hits that would be light with other gear, and still make it well enough for it to pass, then I suppose I'll just learn to block better. Overall, it seems like our calibration is in a pretty good place for the time being.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Blackhawk » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 am

Forkbeard wrote:There ARE a few people talking about being against this over there.
That's just **** wierd to me.
They are saying this sufficent force wording will only make it so people can justify rhino hiding and people are just waiting for this change so they can cheat.
That's **** retarded(see BlackHawk, I'm being nice over there). NOT being allowed to call light on LIGHT hits is what this makes this game better than the light contact games.
Requiring sufficient force define who we are as fighters. I'm so glad you guys got that fixed. Things were drifting a little further apart than I liked.
FB

Thanks bro.
Also the rule was only briefly on the books as noticeable. Thank the gods. i just get sick and tired of our combat system being steered in the direction of Ampguard (sorry bout the spelling, I am used to seeing it like this *********), my feeling is if you want to fight like that, go there.

Softer weapons Harder hits!!!!

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:44 am

Anything that is engineered to hit harder on a light shot should fail for hitting too hard on a hard shot at weapons check. There's a reason we crank them up to 11 on someone's safest hit location.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Tiercel » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I was actually thinking more along the lines of having an absurdly large striking surface due to inflatable components of the weapon, or some other garbage way to give an unfair advantage to "tap" techniques. How about a banana scythe? Perhaps something with feathers (call them 'dragon scales' if they try to catch you on their "realistic" rule). Blatantly silly yet effective enough to beat their system.

Now that I'm looking at the rule itself, though, I think you're interpreting it in a way most would not. Below is what Dag's website posts as the current rule:

-------------
3.4.1 - Hits from hand-held weapons count when the weapon strikes solidly with
noticeable force. NOTE: what constitutes a "solid strike" is necessarily subjective and
thus relies on the honor of both the attacker and the person who is struck.
-------------

"Solid strike" isn't the same thing as a "tap" in my book- and if they make a point about focusing on "solid strike" instead of "noticeable" I think the change is cosmetic.

*};-
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Postby Kyrax » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:00 pm

Tiercel - you're a few days late. See Varadin's post on Monday June 21st for the current rule.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 am

Catch yourself up, Terciel.
That is the rule we WERE talking about when this thread started.
The thread was about how it sucked, but was their bag to deal with.
The solution to the thread was that at Rag WC this year, the wording was changed BACK from "noticable force" to "sufficent force", as it should be.
You weird weapon ideas are stupid and wouldn't make anyone think anything except that your were weird.
I alos think your of base Slagar. A weapon that hits hard with only light force will fail at the high end in weapon check. Why wouldn't it?
The point is, better heads have prevailed over at the neighbors house(Dagorhir) and it looks like we'll all be having cookouts together again very soon.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tiercel » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:26 pm

Yep, I got lazy in my reading and it came back and bit me. The point was already made.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:41 am

Forkbeard wrote:Catch yourself up, Terciel.
I alos think [you're off] base Slagar. A weapon that hits hard with only light force will fail at the high end in weapon check. Why wouldn't it?

Dynamic resistance, nonlinear compressibility, nonlinear flex characteristics, high Poisson's ratio foams...

PS: I do at least three of those to my weapons. They're why my all-closed cell spears hit identically from Light through Harpoon.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Dacian » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:00 pm

Arrakis wrote:...science...

stop it. That's disgusting.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:25 am

I just glue foam to stick.
Then, smash science nerd.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Oisin » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:19 pm

I called light/garb/graze a few times at Rag, when I got hit light/garb/graze. AKA, I used the same calibration I always have. People hit me harder or more squarely the next time, RWC changed the rule back, life went on.

Not nearly as big of a deal as everyone made it out to be.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Previous

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports