Trying out something new

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Trying out something new

Postby Mynok » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 pm

S.C.A i have been doing that stuff for like 12 years and I feel like its time to try out something else. I will never quit the S.C.A but I want something a bit different and cool . I hope to make it to an event sometime soon..... or even invite a group or two to check out our group .
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Oct 2002
Realm: Mid realm
Unit: Cog fighters
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bushido, china broadsword, naginata

Re: Trying out something new

Postby Thorondor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Some of our fighters fight in SCA as well, its not totally unheard of. I wish I was more mid-west so I could come out some time and fight you & your crew.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:39 am

Where in Midrealm are you? There is an event in Carbondale, IL on September 18th. A lot of the fighters on my field cross-game SCA, and I started in the SCA.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby Winfang » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:41 am

I'm in the Middle as well...
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Mynok » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Muncie Indiana . my group would love to host sometype of event some fighters could come to.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby The Lost Celt » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Not in your area but I can certainly wish you the best.

Crossgame between SCA and Bel is not uncommon, there's good and bad from both. Certainly the personalities and humor should get along quickly.

Things like grappling/body checks/hitting below the knees are okay in our sport, obviously unarmored headshots are not. Hits from behind our out of line of sight or okay, most of us curtesy shot where they can't see us.

I fight mainly polearm, my main interest in SCA is to crack heads but there's a lot of list fighting and not as many people, on our fields we have a bit more for fresh faces I suppose.

People like to dog us for the padded weapons but in reality we're pretty in your face about things, most RP elements are light hearted, I always compare it to paintball for most people...

To that extent I think the tuchux would present the best combination of the two sports, but after visiting a few SCA practices and seeing a dude that should be MMA (and me at 5'5 145pds) I think I'll sit on the fence on that one ;)
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:35 am

I think you guys would fit in great here. You're going to love the freedom of our fighting.
Breaking sheilds with great weapons is the best thing ever. It's my #1 complaint about SCA fighting. **** turtles under their shells.
Anyway, I've only fought SCA a little over the winter. When Bel practice started I got preoccupied with it again. I'll be at SCA practice again come winter, though. It's indoors.
Welcome to the Jungle.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Mynok » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:29 pm

I want to come to a event now . is there any events happening 3-4-hours away from muncie I would love to come try it out and I already have garb since kung fu uniforms are okay.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:10 pm

It's a bit further (Google Maps says just over 5 hours from Muncie), but Oktoberfest in Earlville, IL would be a great bet. Usually the weather is great, and it's Belegarth's largest event. 400-500+ are usually in attendance.

Here's the thread with some info: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=34621
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Mynok wrote:I want to come to a event now . is there any events happening 3-4-hours away from muncie I would love to come try it out and I already have garb since kung fu uniforms are okay.

Listen to Derian.

5 hours for a weekend long event isn't the end of the world - especially when they're huge and kick *. Carpool with other interested folks to save on gas. Pack your own food and don't hesitate to eat cheap (ramen noodles - yuck). Follow Sorica's event packing guide/list, and Forkbeard posted a great way to do it cheaply in another thread about a month ago. Find them and read them.

This particular event is in October so start saving now. You'll be amazed at how much you can save if you cut out a $5-$7 fast food run once a week. I've been told tongue-in-cheek to raid your friend's couch cushions and even to stop buying toilet paper and steal it from public or mall restrooms :pirate: No excuse to claim poverty this far out.

Have fun and welcome to the game.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby To'Gur » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:31 am

Viva Trimaris.
Lowlands Bugbear
member of team fatty '08

Izareth wrote: but if your character was raised by elves, that's usually pretty lame nomatter who you are.
To'Gur
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: Imperial Atlantis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Cheating

Postby Teej » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Tiberius Claudius wrote:5 hours for a weekend long event isn't the end of the world...

****, To'Gur drives 3 hours just for practice... and he does this most weekends.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Mynok » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Well im trying to talk the rest of my group to come with me to Ocktoberfest trying to shoot for that one but if I could hit a practice before that it would be awesome . Maybe the house in Bloomington Indiana could have some visitors in the next couple of weeks.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mynok » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Well im trying to talk the rest of my group to come with me to Ocktoberfest trying to shoot for that one but if I could hit a practice before that it would be awesome . Maybe the house in Bloomington Indiana could have some visitors in the next couple of weeks.
Mynok
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Karyx » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:43 am

Mynok wrote:Well im trying to talk the rest of my group to come with me to Ocktoberfest trying to shoot for that one but if I could hit a practice before that it would be awesome . Maybe the house in Bloomington Indiana could have some visitors in the next couple of weeks.

belegarth is like swimming in icewater. if you tiptoe in, you'll get bored and never make it, but if you jump in headfirst you'll either be hooked immediately, or go into shock and drown...

but yes, Okfest is the place to start. no excuses allowed.
Karyx

My family? Its kinda like the Mafia. Once you're in, there's really only one way out.

Jonkah wrote:... just remember the golden rule of noobs: if you have something to say, raise your hand and put it over your mouth!
Karyx
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Beornve
Favorite Fighting Styles: oooo... BARLEY-TECH!! O_o

Postby The Lost Celt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Mynok wrote:Well im trying to talk the rest of my group to come with me to Ocktoberfest trying to shoot for that one but if I could hit a practice before that it would be awesome . Maybe the house in Bloomington Indiana could have some visitors in the next couple of weeks.

As far as sensibilities go you should click, good sense of humor, honesty, integrity within the majority of the group - we're all nerds of a different stripe when it comes down to it, and there's a fair chunk that started in SCA/Bel/Dag and routinely crossgame, there are different elements for everyone of course but there is a common interest.

Octoberfest from what I hear is a great event, unfortunately never attended, but one of the major battles we hold.

I'd encourage you to visit a practice and do some one on one with folks first however, nothing negative implied with this, but just to get a feel for things.

For example as someone who's started out in Dag when I first suited up for SCA I had a lot of issues blocking my head, SCA crossovers like to hit in the head a lot and have to worry about delivering headshots in the game. likewise I love spears in our sport but head/face shots are illegal, and I can't crank them like I'd like to in some instances with a roundabout shot to the head/torso which would be pretty unsafe in our sport but fairly safe for yours.

Likewise grappling and bowling over someone with your shield aren't much of an option in SCA, there's a little bit to be gained from aspects in each game. Hell I'm wondering eventually if I'll start doing rebated steel when I can, or get involved with Kali, but to each their own...
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports