From LarpCraft to BeleGarth

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

From LarpCraft to BeleGarth

Postby Artenen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:34 am

You guys have a great site and I'm hoping to make it to a few Belegarth games this season. We have some of your players in our games now and we love the way everyone works together.

We learned it is not the type of game but rather the fact that players can unite and join up to make outstanding games regardless of the rule set or sanctioning body.

Artenen
http://www.larpcraft.com
"You killed my father, prepare to die..."
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 2009
Realm: Loderia
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanker

Re: From LarpCraft to BeleGarth

Postby Slagar » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:45 am

Heya dude. If you're from Sheboygan and looking to cross-game, hit up MHOG for the list of Amtgarders in the area, they're all solid dudes and mostly really good fighters. Also, the Madison Bel group isn't too far, and would make an excellent introduction to how we do things. Welcome, and hope you enjoy the game.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Artenen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am

Ya, I was with some of the Madison folks and they will be joining us for our LarpCast next week via the 24/7 LARP TeamSpeak which will be pretty cool.

Playing Frostlands in Omro, WI this weekend and will be likely at the Oct 5th - 9th event with The Order.
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Salamander » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:51 pm

If there is one thing we will teach you, Artenen, is battle field awareness for archers!
Anyway, we'd love to see you guys in Madison. Trade some foam love, and then get margaritas afterward!!!!

There is also a Dag group in Appleton. One of my Clan mates lives there too!
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Artenen » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:25 am

So So true :)

Ya, any games we can get to would be awesome! We get 1-3 new players per event on average and everyone has a great time ;)

Just shot some videos from the last event and took some pics. I wish I would of had my tri-pod but the pics still turned out pretty good. I didn't plan on filming much this last weekend but it happened anyway.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQjYQnlCr8[/youtube]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/XAQjYQnlCr8[/youtube]
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 am

LarpCraft officially began in 2010. We were a bunch of LARPers that wanted to take LARP in a direction that few had seemed to be able to. Our research indicated that you had 2 types of Renaissance Fantasy LARP. 1. Lots of hit points, complex rules and LOTS of politics. 2. Simple "Bash" gameplay with little to no point system. While #2 was easier to get into, these groups tend to fade or burn out faster. #1 types have a more dedicated following but again, it is hard for these groups to sometimes gain the player count needed for successful games.

This statement offends me.
Belegarth/Dagorhir game system has bee in existance for over 25 years and people have been playing the whole time.
How the **** can you say this crap?
If you want our support, don't slander us.
Also, I looked through your site and couldn't find the one peice of information all Bel/Dag players need: Is this a full contact fighting game, like ours, or a light contact game, like 99% of larps and Amtgard. You see, THAT is the real difference between us and LARPers.
In Bel/Dag fighting, I am required to hit you hard enough that, were I using a real weapon, you would be IMEDEATLY KILLED. That's why its a one hit system.
In light contact systems, I am only required to "tag" you with my weapon. Then I get yelled at when I hit too hard.
So which is it? Am I going to get yelled at when I hit some girl too hard?
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:29 am

Also check your pictures. I could just be the AV my work is using but my screen blows up with warnings and blocks against your site.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:30 pm

On a side note: When did you become loderian?
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Wisp » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Don't mind Forkbeard. He skipped the war thats been going on for the last decade and is still trying to find his secure place with his manhood. Sword Fighting with foam on a stick is very near and dear to him and he's easily angered about it.

Your site looks nice man. Keep up the good work.
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:47 pm

Eat my * Wisp.
I'm actually interested. If it's a full contact game, I want to know more. It looks interesting and I like how they expect to be able to open up realms everywhere that are interconected. That usualyy cant work in LARPs more convoluted than amtgard. If it works, it'll be fun to check out.
Providing we can hit people hard. If it's a light contact game I don't care.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 am

Amtgard's not "lightest touch" the way a lot of LARPs are, Fork. There is no "excessive" call in Amtgard (unlike in the SCA). They just don't require much force (though rumor says that's officially getting more Texan come the next version of the rules....)
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:13 am

Unless we can call light on crap shots, it's light contact fighting. That and kicking shields and shield bashing lend the texture to full contact fighting that makes it enjoyable.
Without those, and the expectation that Amtgarders seem to have that I will be careful when fighting their little kids and girlfreinds and take it easy on them is what ruins it for me.
I fight to compete. Not to win or to loose really, but to compete. Light contact fighting just isn't competative enough for me.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Artenen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm happy to know more about your system and will be attending the event in Oct. * Stonehouse Park. Right now we are just about to release the LarpCraft playbook that is coming out of beta (much of the stuff on the site is old information. We have been play testing our system for 2 years now).

In no way was your sanctioning body mentioned and I mean no harm in any of the wording on our site. I'll be sure to clean it up as it can sound a bit brash depending on how you read it. I would not intentionally slam any other group. This sport can't sustain that kind of abuse and it has taken its toll in years past.

Many of our players like both styles of play but we tend to "tag" in our game. But we are also play testing a "hardcore" game function that allows for the immersion of full LARP but upon combat with another player, the combatants can agree on "hardcore" mode which allows head and groin shots to count if hit (still cannot aim for these areas) and hits tend to be harder but being that we are still using latex weapons it is still not full contact. Shield bashing is allowed in hardcore mode as of right now and this system is testing well in our realms. We do not host full games in hardcore mode but it gives a taste of full contact without really being full contact and many players dig this.

Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to any others that you may have. As for the warnings on the site... I'm not sure why you are getting those. I have no ads on the site and don't plan on doing so ever. If you could send me a screen shot to admin at larpcraft dot com that would be awesome.

I look forward to trying out your game system this Oct! Who knows, as a promoter I wouldn't mind looking at hosting Belegarth games too if we could get enough players. I think it is just fun to be active in this sport no matter what type of system you are in or play.
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Artenen wrote:the combatants can agree on "hardcore" mode which allows head and groin shots to count if hit (still cannot aim for these areas) and hits tend to be harder but being that we are still using latex weapons it is still not full contact.

It's so cute that you think intent can be legislated and superintended.

Fork: So some loser flurbs and their underage girlfriends got whiny. What else is new? Amtgard stickjocks don't expect you to go light on anybody. I agree fully that allowing positive pressure impacts to count as hits regardless of force does make Amtgard not full-contact and it's not my sport of preference, but it's also not a "you have to touch me as lightly as possible, everyone uses 48" pieces of .505 with one layer of pipe insulation, grazes count, head-legal" nonsense like some other LARPs.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Salamander » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Welcome to the Belegarth boards, Artenen.
It's important to remember that IRL Belegarth and Internet Belegarth are two different things, and it's best to dissociate the two.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Artenen » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I would ask questions but don't bother :)

I'll just get what I need on the field. I don't expect other systems to understand ours but I like exploring other rule sets and gameplay. We got a good player count and it is growing. We are having fun and don't have a lot of politics which keeps it awesome.

Thanks Salamander, I'm sure you can provide more detail in person at the next event we all play at :fingers:
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:00 pm

I'm like this in real life, too.
Thanks for the forthright answers.
I hope that after seeing what full contact fighting has to offer you and your freinds want to step up the game. It will take a move to safer weapons, but it is worth it.
I used to be a larp dude, and it had potential. I feel that the fluby parts of larping are well balanced by the fact that you get to sneak up on people and murder then in the night. And steal their treasure. If it could be combined with full contact combat, everyone would have more fun.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran