Ragnarok 27 Tournaments

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ragnarok 27 Tournaments

Postby Solusar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm

This will soon be cross-posted to the national Dag boards, but I wanted to preview it here and get some feedback. Thanks in advance, here's verbatim what will go on the boards and in the Rag handbook(I think?). If any of you guys go to Rag, check it out and show those **** what's up.

Hi Dagorhir community, my name is Solusar Oma'Ragh and I've chose to run the tournaments for Ragnarok Twenty Seven. Ragnarok is touted as the largest gathering of foam and boffer fighting in the country and as such we need a tournament to showcase the talent of the numerous fighters there.
The rules are as follows. Credit goes mostly to Erekose for writing this last year, I stole and modified it to fit my purposes. Quick note, as stated below, you will have you weapons, armor, healing poems and garb all checked before the competitions begin and the spectators gather to watch and take pictures.

Ragnarok XXVII Tournaments

Thursday, June 21, 2012

11 – 6pm

Friends in War: As the withering heat of Summer grips the land and Ragnarok is upon us, do not despair! Whet your blades, strap on your shield, and pick your straightest shafts, for the time has come to determine the Champions of Ragnarok! Prizes will be awarded to the winners at the end of each event. The first event will start at 7:00 PM sharp on Wednesday night with Shade of Meslam’s Dagger Tournament, and will conclude Thursday beginning at 11 AM. Each subsequent event will start at the completion of the prior event. Each event should take around 30-60 minutes to complete.

The Tournament Events:
1 - Single Blue Weapon
2 - Two Weapon
3 - Blue Weapon and Small Shield
4 - Blue Weapon and Large Shield
5 - Women’s Weapon and Shield
6 - Spear
7 - Short Red Weapon
8 - Long Red Weapon (Polearms)
9 - Archery
10 - War God (Unlimited)
11 - Valkyrie (Unlimited)
12 - Two-Person Team
13 - Four Horsemen
14 - Seven-Person Skirmish

The winner(s) for each event becomes the Ragnarok Champion of that weapons class, for one year!

Ragnarok Tournament Information

You may enter as many Weapons Classes as you wish, regardless of previous victories. With a little luck and skill you’ll make it past a couple rounds and get a few epic kills to tell stories about. Maybe you’ll win a prize or two. Be cool and have fun!

Event Rules:
- Women are allowed to participate in any and all categories, but there are two female specific categories this year to encourage more women fighters to participate. No, you can’t cross dress if you’re a man, nice try.
- Once the first event starts, no additional fighters will be accepted.
- Each combatant will have their garb, weapons, healing poems, shields and armor checked at the beginning of the tournament. All green weapons must have green tape, or other similar markings to signify that it stabs.
- In each class, warriors will be allowed one weapon of that class (no backup/sidearm/downsword), except Two Weapon (Any two hand-held non-projectile weapons, javelins may be used as short spears, no shields allowed(period)), Team Battles and Unlimited (Anything goes, including armor, healing and missile weapons).
- If a weapon or shield breaks or becomes unsafe during a bout, the warrior may exchange it for a comparable weapon or shield, from the sidelines. (Otherwise, the fighter fights with what they have!)
- In the Spear category a fighter may use any long weapon with a stabbing tip, but they are only allowed to do green damage with it. That means you can win with a javelin, but you may NOT throw it. This is a stabbing only tournament.
- In all applicable categories a weapon may be used for stabbing if constructed to do so. I. E. in the Single Weapon category you may stab and/or slash your opponent.
- In the Weapon and Shield categories, any weapon may be used in conjunction with any type of shield. Flails are allowed but you will be mocked.
- The Small Shield category includes all shields that have their widest sections 30” or smaller in width and when held rests between the collarbone and kneecap. Any shield measuring 31” or more on its widest point and/or is taller then the distance from collarbone to kneecap is considered a Large Shield.
- The Short Red Weapon category includes all red weapons from 48”(four feet) to 60” (five feet), anything 61” or above is considered a Large Red Weapon (Polearms).
- In the event of a simultaneous "kill," fighters will re-fight the duel. (Healed of all wounds and damage(Except in team battles unless final two fighters “simul”))
- Archers may carry as many arrows as they wish, and may re-use arrows from the field.
- The Archer duels(like all others) will also be fought to the death.
- Armor will only count in the Unlimited and Team Categories.
- Valkyrie tournament goes as follows. Only females may enter and may choose any weapon combo and armor set they choose. They will start on one side with a rez point. An opposing team of men wielding only single blues will be on the other side with a rez and several heralds. Every time a woman kills a man she must tell him her name and he will report it to a rez herald. At the end of 30 minutes whomever has the most total kills will be crowned Ragnarok 27’s Valkyrie. In the event of a tie the two warriors will duel for supremacy.
- Any fighter that does not appear when a round starts, forfeits that round. Reasonable time will be allowed before round is forfeited.
- We will use multiple fighting areas, until the semi and final rounds.
- There will be clearly defined fighting areas for each fight. Contestants may move about their fighting area as they fight, though stepping out of the defined fighting area will result in a forfeit for that round.
- Failure to engage a legged opponent with melee weapons for twenty seconds total will result in a forfeit for that round. (Applies to melee competitions and to situations where a fighter refuses to engage.)
- If a grapple or close contact situation lasts for an extended amount of time with no apparent end in sight, the fighters will be separated and have their equipment returned to them, then resume fighting.
- If you flat your opponent or hit them with another non-striking surface(haft, handle) call it out loudly. If a shot grazes or is light be sure to call it out loudly, failure to do any of these might result in your loss of the round or a “red card”. Same for hand and head shots.
- Anyone that impedes the smooth flow of the event may be issued “red” or “black cards” or possibly removed from competition by the event organizers or the heralds. (This includes, but is not limited to: Being a *, bad attitudes, arguing with heralds, excessive heckling, attempting to use gear not checked, refusal to wear garb etc.)
- Two “red cards” received during the day will result in a “black card”.
- Anyone who received a “black card” in tournaments during the preceding Ragnarok will not be allowed to participate in tournaments this year.
- It is requested that anyone who receives a “black card” this year will not be allowed to participate in Ragnarok tournament events next year.

Duel Selection and Progression:
- In all events, duels will be fought simultaneously, until the semi and final rounds.
- Individual duels will have specific heralds assigned.
- Pairs will be randomly selected for each duel. Each fighter will have equal chance of facing any other fighter.
- No exceptions for re-selecting pairs or teams will be made.
- Each Champion will be decided by single-elimination events. If you lose once, you are out of that class. Each round will be best two, out of three fights to determine winner.

Team Battles:
- Armor is allowed, as well as any weapon set you choose. Bring as many weapons as you can effectively use. Team battles are essentially considered Team Unlimited.
- Healing is allowed, but the healing poem must be checked prior to tournament start, as stated above.
- Team battles will be selected in the same manner as the rest of the tournament.
- Ideally there will be at least two heralds monitoring each team.

Heralds:
- Heralds will be on hand to actively observe the duels.
- In the semi-final and final rounds, ideally at least one herald will be from a different unit than the contestants.
- The Heralds will intercede if a dispute occurs or if a fighter fails to take any obvious hits.
- Arguing with heralds can result in “red” and/or “black” cards.

Dagger Tournament
Where: Secondary Field.
When: 7 PM Wednesday Night
To clarify; Daggers are green weapons, no more than 16 inches in length.

Rules
1. Armor will not count for protection. No metal armor may be worn.
2. Fighters may carry as many daggers as they desire.
3. Tournament will be done Bracket style.
4. Entry will be free.
5. Fights will be 1v1.
6. Bring your own daggers

If you are a vet and want to herald instead of fight, let me know as I can surely use you.

I sincerely hope to see tournament attendance go up this year in terms of both fighters and spectators. Ragnarok has had a lackluster tournament turnout the past few years and I want to change that. Thanks in advance to the fighters that come out and to the cheering spectators to give them the energy to fight.
Last edited by Solusar on Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Re: Ragnarok 27 Tournaments

Postby Hammaren Hjarta » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Looks good mang.. Only thing is there is no solution in the walkyria match to dispute a tie. Maybe a 1v1? Let me know if you need me to post over there again.

Hammaren hjarta
As i die, I hold my sword my only friend, And pray that Oden will take me home.
Hammaren Hjarta
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Hrmm...I may actually leave camp to fight this year....intriguing.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Solusar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Hammaren Hjarta wrote:Looks good mang.. Only thing is there is no solution in the walkyria match to dispute a tie. Maybe a 1v1? Let me know if you need me to post over there again.

Hammaren hjarta

I think Ducky is making a mega post and including this in it as a present for Christmas.

Ilariia Bulochnika wrote:Hrmm...I may actually leave camp to fight this year....intriguing.

+1
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:53 am

I would worry about "Single Weapon" turning into a guy with a miniglaive beating the hell out of a bunch of single blue fighters or some other such nonsense.

Is it the intention that it turn into a red weapon duel? Or do you want to specify "blues only" or something? For that matter, do you want to allow quarterstaves in any or all of these sections?

I would honestly like to see "Traditional Two-Sword" as a category more than "Two weapon" because the first implies two blue(/green) swords whereas the second... you just know some * is gonna show up with a 9' spear and a 35" flail as backup or something and totally change the dynamic of the fight.

Also, collarbone-to-knee is like 40+" on me. You sure you don't want to lock Small Shield category at 30"x36"? That leaves Medium Edhellen punches (2x3 ft), 30" rounds, and 36"x28" teardrops in, it just knocks out long-ass kites and big Numenorean-style heaters along with doors of various kinds.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Solusar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 pm

Arrakis wrote:I would worry about "Single Weapon" turning into a guy with a miniglaive beating the hell out of a bunch of single blue fighters or some other such nonsense.

Is it the intention that it turn into a red weapon duel? Or do you want to specify "blues only" or something? For that matter, do you want to allow quarterstaves in any or all of these sections?

I would honestly like to see "Traditional Two-Sword" as a category more than "Two weapon" because the first implies two blue(/green) swords whereas the second... you just know some * is gonna show up with a 9' spear and a 35" flail as backup or something and totally change the dynamic of the fight.

Also, collarbone-to-knee is like 40+" on me. You sure you don't want to lock Small Shield category at 30"x36"? That leaves Medium Edhellen punches (2x3 ft), 30" rounds, and 36"x28" teardrops in, it just knocks out long-ass kites and big Numenorean-style heaters along with doors of various kinds.

Your first point is good, I'll change it to be more concise. I like being concise. But if someone shows up with a red in a single blue category, I'll tell him to wait for the red categories. Simple at that. I'll allow quarterstaves if someone is dumb enough to use it, but not in single weapon.
Your second point is also valid, but I don't see too many high end flo fighters having problems with that. Warthog(/insert generic GtG fighter) won't make it far. I'm also okay with dudes going jav/sword, two flails, double dagger, etc. I will for sure think about it though, I'm open to new ideas and slight changes like that.
I have thought lots and lots and asked many people for opinions about shield size and where to cut if off. They way I'm doing it now seems most fair and not super hard in application. It's very easy to measure and apply. Again though I'm open to discussion and new ideas.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Xavier » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:20 pm

Solusar wrote: healing poems

I didn't think these were still used by anybody. Does dag still include them in their rules?
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Postby Solusar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Indeed!
6.10 - Healing

6.10.1 - The Healer cannot heal her/himself or their own equipment.

6.10.2 - To heal a person, the Healer must be in direct physical contact with the injured person.

6.10.3 - A healer may not heal a person while either are under direct attack. If the Healer or injured person is attacked or distracted, or contact is broken for any reason, the entire Poem of Healing must be read or recited again.

6.10.4 - A Poem of Healing must then be recited or read aloud. The minimum length of a poem of healing is 180 syllables and must be approved at event check-in.

6.10.5 - When the healer completes reading the Healing Poem, all wounds and any items held by the wounded fighter are healed or repaired (i.e. armor, bow, shield, etc.).

They were never taken out and in some scenarios are really cool and useful. They made a huge resurgence at Rag last year and I only see them coming back in force. Mother **** battle clerics dude! I really don't foresee too many people using healing in the team battles, but I expect to see a team bring them to the field and it would be interesting to see a team utilize them. Again, I doubt they'll be used effectively much, but I'm covering all bases.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:25 am

I know that there have been some rare occasions at events that we have allowed healers in certain battles. It's really nice going from one arm and no armor left back to full strength. People aren't expecting it.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:30 pm

Can you just make your Poem a hundred eighty syllables of you cussing ala Jay and Silent Bob? That's the only way I'd allow it on our field... lololol Might be fun. I'm the type of guy that fire-man carries his gimped buddies during field battles lol.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports