Ragnarok XXVII Garb Gates

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Ragnarok XXVII Garb Gates

Postby Rap » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Garb Gates are back.

Hello everyone, I will be running and enforcing all garb requirements for Rag this year. Rag is our super bowl, and we should dress accordingly on the field. Now I want to come out and say that I'm not a stickler about hand sewn or period only materials, but we have very clearly outlined minimum requirements in the MoA, complete with pictures thanks to Narnia, and I will be following those. If you do not have minimum garb, you will not be allowed on the field. Period. This is non negotiable and will be enforced.

While garb is an important aspect of our game, I understand we're all here to fight and see our friends on vacation. I want the garb gates process to go smoothly and efficiently so we can get where we're going and be nerds together. The basic layout is as follows:

-Garb Gates Volunteers will be stationed at the security checkpoint next to Rome.

-Everyone coming to fight will get into a line to have their rag tag, armor sticker, weapons/shields, and garb checked. Anything failed from weapons/armor check will not be allowed on to the field, and rag tags are required to fight.

-If your garb fails for any reason, you will be directed to the side where myself, Dudley, Grim, Fyxe, and some of my other deputies will let you know what failed and how to fix it. This will keep traffic moving smoothly, and you can hear it straight from the boss why your t-shirt fails. I will not have my volunteers harrassed.

-Once everything of yours has been approved, proceed across Curry Rd to my good friend Ducky's waiting and willing arms.

As long as you meet the minimum garb requirements and/or look like you could be an extra in any B fantasy/medieval movie, you'll be fine.

A few common garb issues that should be addressed:

-Shoes- as long as they are earth tone neutral colors, any style shoe will be allowed. White shoes and especially white socks, will be dependant upon the rest of your garb and the overall look of your persona.

-Tinted Safety Glasses- will be allowed on the field. This does not cover sunglasses of any type, all eye protection must meet sports/work grade protection specs. If you want plain sunglasses, bring a Dr's note.

-Jeans- no color is acceptable

-Sports Bras/Spaghetti Strap Tops- these are not garb. * does not equal a free pass.

-Underarmor- is perfectly fine as long as it's not showing.

-Ork/Dark creature garb- slashed up t shirts does not cut it. I don't care if it's passed before.

-Armor- as always, is not garb.

If you want to help out in this process, let me know. Everyone is welcome, all you need is to be willing, and to understand the garb rules. Dudley and I will handle the dirty work.

Any questions can be directed to me here on the Dag Boards, via PM, or you can find me on Facebook as Simon Rap Altschuler, or via rap@britanniafaire.com, or in person at one of the 7 campouts I'll be at before Rag. I'm willing to discuss anything with anyone online or over a beer.

Note for Bel Boards- I'll try to remember to check this every few days, please reach me via FB or email for immediate concerns.
Last edited by Rap on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head of Garb Gates for Rag XXVII

rap@britanniafaire.com or Simon Rap Altschuler on Facebook
Rap
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Ragnarok XXVII Garb Gates

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

First of all: Thanks for the heads up. I like good garb on the field so I like the idea of garb gates. Just a couple of questions:

Rap wrote:-Everyone coming to fight will get into a line to have their rag tag, armor sticker, weapons/shields, and garb checked.

Does this mean its going to be like an assembly line: tag, garb, armor, weapons, field? Or like a series of levels you have to pass through?

Rap wrote:White shoes and especially white socks, will be prohibited.

Does that mean visible white socks?

Rap wrote:-Tinted Safety Glasses- will be allowed on the field. This does not cover sunglasses of any type, all eye protection must meet sports/work grade protection specs. If you want plain sunglasses, bring a Dr's note.

Is there a list of sunglasses that meet said requirements? Oakleys springto mind.

Rap wrote:-Underarmor- is perfectly fine as long as it's not showing.

So, just to clarify, zero underarmor showing?

I dont mean to bust on you, really. I just want to make sure I'm on the same page as you.

Thanks.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Rap » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:50 pm

Not busting on me at all man, this is why I'm posting 3 months in advance. The more everyone knows about the expectations, the less surprises in June and the more we can all fight.

The second weapon/armor check is just for passing stickers. All gear and armor will be checked with hit tests like any other event in the Bel/Dag world, my group will just verify that everything has been checked at one time. I'll have multiple lines set up, just get in one. Down the road I may set up specifics, but if I do there will be signs and such.

White socks just have to be under boots, tucked in pants etc. If you have some fly medieval pimp white leather boots, those will be acceptable, but they better fit in with the rest of your garb/persona.

Gas station sunglasses, are no good. Finding a list of every sport grade eyewear manufacturer out there would take more time than I have unfortunately, so we're settling for anything that is ANSI certified (there's a little rating on the side of the frame) and making sure it's safe on the field. We don't want a jav to shatter your glasses so wear appropriately constructed glasses.

If your underarmor peeks a little at the armpit, that's fine. What I want to avoid is just armor and an Underarmor shirt. If you're keeping the armor on the whole time and nothing shows, awesome, but if you take it off without a tunic or garb over the shirt, I'll pull you off the field.

Any other questions or clarifications, please ask.

Thanks!

Rap
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for clearing it up.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Orokusan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:38 am

Good on you guys for establishing what you want early and making it a priority.
Sir Oroku Norinaga, KBMC, OGO
Tertiary Knight of the High Code
"You do not have to be a squire to start learning to be a knight. Take your time and make good decisions."-Uric
Orokusan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 18 May 2005
Realm: Sygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Florentine, Spear

Postby Kensman Bam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 am

From the Oakley FAQ site:
Are my Oakley glasses OSHA or ANSI Z87.1 approved? What is the difference?
Most Oakley Eyewear meets or exceeds ANSI Z87.1 standards for optical clarity and impact resistance. Please check the product description on Oakley.com for exact specifications. Oakley has not taken additional measurements for OSHA standards. Please check with your employer for which standards may be required for use at work. OSHA Standards (—) 29 CFR, Eye and Face Protection (—) 1910.133 Federal regulated standards in which employers must comply for the protection and safety of their employees. This standard obligates employers to enforce the uses of appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to hazardous materials, liquids, vapors, chemicals or other harmful substances. It provides specific requirements of such protection allowed in the workplace. OSHA references ANSI Z87.1 as the benchmark standard for occupational eye and face protection. Section (b) (1) Protective eye and face devices purchased after July 5, 1994 shall comply with ANSI Z87.1-1989, “American National Standard Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection,” which is incorporated by reference as specified in Sec. 1910.6. www.osha.gov ANSI Z87.1 - Practice for Occupational and Educational Eye and Face Protection Standard Z87.1 (—) 1979 American National Standard Institute is a private, non-profit organization. It includes the specific standards for evaluating factors such as impact resistance, lens thickness, projectile penetration, and optical quality.
Kensman in House Haldane
Chieftain of the Cu Sith
Proud member of House Haldane
Realm Leader of The SouthernMarches
http://www.cusithwarband.com
Kensman Bam
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 03 Jul 2005
Realm: Kenevara
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Glaive/Spear
Red
Unarmed

Postby Kensman Bam » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:41 am

http://industrialsafetygear.com/hard-ha ... RQodnX-vxQ

If you need to get some safety sunglasses...check this site out.
Kensman in House Haldane
Chieftain of the Cu Sith
Proud member of House Haldane
Realm Leader of The SouthernMarches
http://www.cusithwarband.com
Kensman Bam
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 03 Jul 2005
Realm: Kenevara
Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Glaive/Spear
Red
Unarmed

Postby Rap » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks for the great info Bam. As long as they're OSHA/ANSI approved sports/work glasses, you're good to go.

I changed the section about white shoes/socks in the original post. They aren't illegal because they're white, but because they easily break the image. You can have a great kit but wear white kicks and it just looks garbage. Same with white socks peaking out of your Timberlands. If you're going to wear white on your feet, make sure it matches the look you have, or just tuck your socks into your shoes.

Rap
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rap » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Just a friendly reminder- Garb is only required on the main battlefield! What you wear in camp and around Cooper's Lake is completely up to you. Garb is encouraged so we can get away from the real world and enjoy our vacation for the week, but is in no way shape or form being enforced.

Rap
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:18 am

Kensman Bam wrote:http://industrialsafetygear.com/hard-hats/eyeprotection.html?gclid=COvOn9qI-64CFWwGRQodnX-vxQ

If you need to get some safety sunglasses...check this site out.

The great excuse of 2012, I'm worried about my eyes, so I have these red reflective lensed oakleys.... ;) Pussies.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Blackhawk » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:46 am

Many of the nightlife parties and such will be garb only affairs, so bring your best pimpin nightlife garb (or at least minimum garb) so you don't get turned out of the festivities.

On a side note, if at any time you feel that any member of the Dag community treats you poorly, simply because you happen to live in Bel country, find me and I will "fix" it. I is very important to me that this no longer happens in either of our sports.

I refuse to allow anyone to have a bad time at Rag because a bunch of chodes had a spat over a decade ago. We are fighters, not pawns.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 am

Well said.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Rap » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 am

^ What Bh said.

If you're having trouble meeting min garb for some reason, let me know. My attitude about garb enforcement is more "Let me help you fight" as opposed to the "I hope you fail so I can laugh" of the past. Ironically I'm receiving tons more flak from the dag side than the bel side about garb, all I can say is thanks for being adults.

But- if you're getting grief of any kind for being from out west/bel, let me know so I can thump some heads.

If it's night, I'll look like this-

Rap
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports