Dargarth

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Dargarth

Postby Xavier » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I was browsing wikipedia and started reading the battle games entry when i saw an entry for simething called dargarth. A game apparently based out of seattle that uses a combination of bel and darkon rules

Anyone have any more info? Or checked it out? Really curious to what its all about
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Re: Dargarth

Postby Kael Prime » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:11 pm

http://www.facebook.com/groups/308350930888/

Here is a link to there Facebook page I have seen tossed around a few times.
Fifth Knight of the Western Flame.
Knight of Ren of The Sith Empire .
Shadow master of Sunspear
The Pale Demon
The Original Silverhelm
Kael Prime
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2010
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: The Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Kungfu S&B

Postby Hakan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:48 am

Froste, a badass * from Stygia, moved out that way and rocks with those cats. System seems a bit odd, but, he says they're chill and honest fighters so power to 'em
Numenorean & Stygian Expatriate
Rules Clarification and Rewrite Committee Contributor
Former President of BMCS {2020 - 2022}
Artificers Guild Mentor {Focus: Foamsmithing}
Order of the Raised Goblet
Evincar of Rath
Hakan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Snark
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thorne » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:53 am

I got into this sport through Dargarth, and I've been fighting with them every other week for over a year. In my opinion, we have a great group of people out there. We've got some talented fighters, archers, and foamsmiths. On average, we have about 20 people out at events, and when the weather is nice the number tends to jump dramatically. People say we're about an 80/20 ratio of fighting to larp. Almost all of our events we just come out to fight, and we run an adventure every few months where we play our characters or NPCs and make our way through a storyline.

Major differences between us and most Belegarth realms are as follows:
1. Currency system
At Dargarth we have a monetary system based on 'gold' coins. These can be used to buy potions/poisons, make silver weapons, bribe other characters, and so on and so forth.

2. World Map and land actions
Every event, countries (unified fighting units) who have submitted a land action form in advance will roll dice, with the resulting number denoting a certain type and amount of enemies. Other fighters will play the part of the opponents, and the country performing a land action will fight them. If they win, they take a hex on the world map and get to roll for loot in the form of castles, keeps, cities, mines, and whatnot that net gold for your country at the end of the season.

3. Armor classes
Dargarth has four armor classes. Where any armor in Belegarth only protects you from one extra hit, different types of armor can protects different hit zones from 1, 2, 3 , or even 4 extra hits. Not to worry, though, you won't be running into a whole lot of AR3 or AR4.

4. Magic
We do have a magic system at Dargarth. It's not terribly complicated, and it really only gets used at adventures, so you won't see it much on a regular battle day. Personally, I think our magic system needs A LOT of work, and our rules/game marshals and our noble counsel are always deliberating on rule changes so we can make our game better for the future.

Aside from that, we're all about getting out there and fighting. We've had our fair share of Belegarth fighters come up and we see a lot of them time and time again, and they seem to enjoy fighting with us. We're very friendly and welcoming to anyone who wants to join up, and we're happy to accept both veteran warriors and newbs to the sport with open arms.
Thorne
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Apr 2011
Realm: DarGarth
Unit: Mardur
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Min. Red

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:30 pm

I live in Portland and after talking with Rasheab and bel-peeps who attend am pretty excited to try this out. Mostly I'm interested in the land-actions and the strategic values of such more than the class-battles or whatever but yeah. Looks like a lot of fun.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Rasheab » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

I like them. Their fighting rules are about 90% Belegarth, and the differences are pretty easy to adapt to. All the important stuff (sufficient force, offensive shield-work, etc) they retained in their rules.

A fair number of NW Bel show up at least semi-regularly to cross-game with them, and we're working with them on getting out to Chaos this year. Some of y'all met Bran at Western Wars; he fit in well.

They do have a lightweight magic and class system, but the rules are simple enough that it doesn't really get in the way. It mostly comes up during land actions, which involves their territory map.

Overall I enjoy fighting with them. Instead of "units" their group is broken up into "countries" (because of the territory map; same difference really) and we have a Belegarth country so that visiting folks have a group to fight with.

www.dargarth.org
Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Arminius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:38 pm

A lot of us lurk the Belegarth forum because of its breadth of experience. We also generally align with Belegarth's weapon construction and safety standards.

It was briefly mentioned, but the other 1/2 of our game comes from Darkon. Our two founders came from that game, and pretty much everything but our fighting rules are inspired by it. That's what our armor rules, land map, magic system, etc are influenced by. You can even see it in the name. Darkon+Belegarth=Dargarth

In a lot of ways I think Dargarth is like "Belegarth+". There's the core of the game (fighting system), them we apply extra stuff on top. It provides context for major battles, a world with stories and continuity, and appeal to a wider variety of people. This creates somewhat of a "big tent" game. That of course makes for an ongoing conversation about what Dargarth should be, but I think we're walking a real good line that doesn't alienate too many people.

We've got a bunch of FAQ's on our site, but I think we'd all love to answer questions here. I know I would.
Arminius
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: Dargarth

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:30 am

When are you guys gonna formally add a multi-class dark-elf/wood-elf ninja lycophantic demon cat-boy ninja-ranger?
Sorry 'sheab, had to be done.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Xavier » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Remy the Wroth wrote:I live in Portland and after talking with Rasheab and bel-peeps who attend am pretty excited to try this out. Mostly I'm interested in the land-actions and the strategic values of such more than the class-battles or whatever but yeah. Looks like a lot of fun.

I live quite a ways away. If I'm ever in there area though I will totally come check it out. Sounds fun!
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports