Sotahuuto (Finland)

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sotahuuto (Finland)

Postby Haardgrim » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:38 am

I and 6 other people from Monachium went to Sotahuuto (www.sotahuuto.fi) to check out what the crazy Finns were up to. For only 5M people to draw on for combatants, they have a sizeable event of 600 people (equivalent populace:fighter ratio for the US would yield 35,000 people!). Their rules are somewhat similar (see English translation at http://forum.sotahuuto.fi/viewtopic.php?f=224&t=8219), the biggest differences being head-shots are allowed, touch-hits count, and shields cannot be broken.

A short characterization would be that this is a stick-jock event. There's more of a sports event feel to it than all Belehir (Dagorath?) events I've been to: There are no garb requirements outside of a team surcoat, there are points scored for reaching goals, # survivors, noticably good performance/behaviour, combats are started and stopped by megaphone, common food arranged rather than individual campfires, and not that much evening socializing.

It's quite well organized - the team that took us in actually took a bus there, and as mentioned there's common food service (quite good for the price) and battles are started and ended clearly. The first day's battles started at 9:00, and there was about 8 hours battle the first day and 6 the second day.

The castle battles were the best I've tried: The fort was atop a hill ¾ surrounded by forest, haybale walls with a (dry) moat. Haybales could be removed (by hand).

The swords are less safe - I broke two straight through the core, and I'm not a particularly hard hitter by Belegarth standards. For historical reasons, they don't allow fiberglass cores.

Their spears are very very long, up to 15 feet. They make them in up to three parts for transportaion.

The combination of unbreakable shields and long spears makes for fairly static fronts and less close combat. Helmets are pretty much necessary due to head shots. Them things are warm! Non-reusable missile weapons made development of usable quivers and javelin holders necessary.

Foam covers on arrow nocks are a good idea for safety. Also makes it easier to turn your arrow the right way.

They don't fall down when dead, but walk away with the swords upside-down. It's probably safer but more confusing and doesn't give as much of a battle "feel".

Some nice battles I haven't seen before: Princess Battle with respawn points at one end of a rectangle, princess in the middle, goal is to move princess to a flag that's a bit on the opposite side of each team's respawn point. Flag battle: Similar, respawn points on same side of rectangle, flag starts in the middle, points for getting the flag to move to the opposing team's side of the rectangle.

The battlefield was essentially a saddle-point, nice for obscuring what the other team does.

Respawn was running around something, not just touching it (which prevents the "almost-touching" effect).

Conclusion: Would go again, but wouldn't convert our group to it. Our weapons are nicer, our battle is more "heroic" than "military", and I just like the garb.

-Hårdgrim

Some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2KYvqQgavw (dronecam!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPmmDAIn5c (skirmisher helmet-cam!)
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-1998
Realm: Monachium

Re: Sotahuuto (Finland)

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks for the in-depth review. Those are some pretty impressive numbers, as you said, from a smaller populace. I like the idea of being able to "break" the castle walls.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:39 am

Where in Finland is this held? I'd like to get back to Finland soon, and this is kind of a must if I do get there at the right time of year.

Thanks for sharing.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Haardgrim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:01 am

The location varies depending on which group is hosting, they do a rotating schedule. As far as I could glean from the Finnish pages, the next one will be in Noxbo a bit south-east of Tampere, but I found no dates yet, probably July. If you can read Finnish, just peruse sotahuuto.fi.

Note that they don't (yet) allow Belegarth style weapons. I'll keep talking with them about that.

-Hårdgrim Bonebreaker of Monachium
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:37 am

This is some good international correspondence you're doing, well done!

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Haardgrim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Thank you. It's necessary to pull all the threads I can find, since we don't have the same network of veterans, nearby groups, and large events here. It makes a large difference. I could definitely tell that those who came along to Sotahuuto as their first event became much more engaged. I wish I had the spare money to bring the entire group to Armaggeddon or Rag.

-Hårdgrim Bonebreaker of Monachium
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:56 pm

I'd force them all to bring me cases of Karhu... And drink myself to death with them. God, I love Finland.

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Aikamato » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Cool to find discussion about Sotahuuto here! I was just cheking how you american brothers are doing the fighting but now I felt I needed to join the conversation! I'm fighting as an archer in a Helsinki based team here in Finland.

If you have any questions about the events or anything else, I'd be happy to answer! Here's a small footage of what we do if you don't know how to use google :wizzard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC-nruq6dGA
Aikamato
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 May 2013

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports