Tips and Training Specifically for Bigger Fighters

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tips and Training Specifically for Bigger Fighters

Postby Scopus » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

I am 6'3" and 310 pounds, and I am wondering if there are any videos or advice that would specifically benefit someone with my body type.

Specifically if the footwork is any different, I've been attempting to be more mobile, but it's wrecking my knees.
Scopus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Apr 2009
Realm: Stormwrath
Unit: Merc - House Vollmer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swrd n Brd, SingleBlue, Hide behind Fox

Re: Tips and Training Specifically for Bigger Fighters

Postby Slagar » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 am

So, I know this is sort of an unhelpful answer, and I mean it without any malice or douchebaggery intended:

To be a competitive fighter in our game, you need to drop some of that weight. While there are some very talented and accomplished fighters (Vo'Kor, Graavish) who are close to 300, they'll be the first to tell you that losing it is the only way to really push forward. Hell, I'm pretty sure Graavish is actually working on that himself, right now. I've had to drop about 50lbs since I joined Bel, in order to try and achieve in this game.

The short answer is, no. There are no tips for how to lunge laterally or maintain range, or any of the other more active components of fighting, that won't hurt your joints right now. Plus, our game offers no weight advantage, as opposed to something like football, so you don't even get the benefit of out-massing your opponents. Sorry, dude.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Brooder » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:51 am

I'm going to have to agree with Slagarb here. When I started Bel, I was about your weight. This put a limitation on my abilities to fight effectively and for long periods of time in hot weather.
With the knees part, you need to take it easy on the field, wear good quality shoes and wear good quality knee braces. When I was 300+, both of my knees were constantly sore and I kept respraining my left knee. Long story short, MRI scan showed that I had the beginning stage of arthritis on my left knee. So I deciated myself to getting on the path to weight loss. After a two, three year period I have stabilized my weight at about 225. Because of the weight loss and my activity levels, I have not had any issues regarding my knees in a couple of years. I still wear a brace for my left knee in Bel just in case I step or fall awkward, but otherwise it feels just fine even though I have a physically active job and I am constantly on my feet. Eating smarter and exorcizing no less than four times a week (preferably five) is the way to go. Even if you can't lift weights at the gym, just going for a power walk for no less than 30 minutes a day is beneifitional for both your knees and overall health.
To be even more blunt, the longer you wait to start this path the more damage you are doing to yourself and your knees and the harder and more expensive it will be to reverse the damage.
Plus, girls dig fit guys, even if they are still caring a few pounds like I do. So if you're not going to do it for yourself, then do it for the chicks.
Brooder
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drinking cans of PBR.

Postby Gronk of MN » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:04 pm

One thing to note, is that being a big guy doesn't neccessarily mean you'll have effed up knees and poop out early.

I outlast most of the guys on my fields throughout the day, but it's more a matter of knowing your body, it's limitations and strengths. Like Slagar said, we wont be as quick off the break and we'll have a harder time with distance closing. It's a given that i wont be running around and flanking.

But being large CAN have advantages, such as shield checking/bashing, etc. That said, being large and unhealthy is is just the same as being smaller and unhealthy; you'll do poorly either way.

So what does one fat guy fighter have to say to another? Keep fighting, be smart about it and you'll lose weight, and get better.
Gronk of MN
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2005
Realm: Osgiliath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board.

Postby kree » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:42 pm

I'm 6'3" 265, when I started fighting I weighed 190, got fat working at Burger King, weighed 290,and I could easily tell I slowed down, starting getting chumped alot, footwork sucked even more than it did now, a little athleticism and a good fat to muscle ratio leaning in your favor can go a long way, I lost the weight, packed some muscle and my game and technique got better. Also a good amount of confidence can come with losing weight, making your game better.
The Shnitzel
Squire to Sir Dameon

kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Dane » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am

There are definitely advantages to being big, but if it's not a fit, muscular big (and 6'2", 300 lbs. probably isn't), you're more at risk for hurting yourself or someone else than someone like Vokor, who's big but has a healthy amount of muscle that lets him be in control of his body.

There are no movement tricks for bigger people, other than you'll move slower, less explosively, and for shorter periods of time. Your best situation is pursuing an opponent who's only option is forward or backward, like in a line fight. When big guys get close, little guys will tend to back up.

As stated before, though, the best thing you can do for yourself is cut weight. Your legs will love you.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby sponge » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 am

I'm a fat white guy that plays Amtgard. I've cross-gamed to a degree including having been out to an Equinox, played some Dag semi-regularly, played Darkon a time or two, and have played Amtgard as a fat dude for about 15 years.

Everyone else is right, being thinner and healthier will make you a way more efficient fighter and that is a goal you should strive for. It will not only help you in any sort of boffer fighting but will make you feel better off the field as well. However, there are a few things that I do personally that I feel anyone who's bigger can do to make yourself a better fighter.

First, without good footwork everything you do is nearly worthless. This doesn't mean you have to prance around constantly, but you have to have the fundamentals down, know how to step and be somewhat agile. If your foot work sucks, work on it before you do anything else. I can not iterate enough how fundamental good foot work is.

Second, reaction timing is paramount. If you're slow and lumbering in your returns, you're probably not going to hit anything. Work on reaction timing. Work on block-stirke. Go to the arcade and practice timing on those ticket machines where you have to bop the gopher on the head. Practice identifying things on flash cards so you think faster. Quit smoking pot and drinking constantly if you do so. If you can get good reaction timing and can then get to the point where you can recognize and anticipate your opponent's shots you'll improve greatly. The faster you can recognize what's coming at you, the faster you can react and put yourself in a good position for a return.

Third, conserve energy while you're fighting. If someone runs away, let them. Learn how to fight as a partners and as a team against a single advisory. I have a habit of fighting to my opponent's level. I often put less effort in against someone that isn't towards the top end of the fighting spectrum and ramp up as needed. Doing this keeps me fighting for longer amounts of time. There will be times when you will need explosiveness and need to expend a great deal of energy in a short period of time. Recognizing when it's advantageous to expand this energy and doing so will help you get those all important W's.

Finally, whoop some * and go have fun. Shove people with your shield if they get too close. Make the ones who are timid scared of coming in on you. Rain big heavy stick down on people. The timid ones are going to come in worried about getting creamed and not focusing on beating you which puts the advantage in your court. Mow over lines and break openings for your team.

There are some advantages to being big, but none of them compare to being healthy and fit. Have fun. If you're having fun fighting, you're staying out on the field longer and you're burning more calories which when you're a fat dude is a good thing.
Sponge
sponge
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:32 pm

So.... not sure about sponge but Im right around your size 6 foot 300ish pound depending on how much work is raping my soul.

First- You can be effective at your weight. Don't mean to toot my horn or sound ego-tastic, but I put up vs most of the top end fighters. I may not be on top but Im not just a lump on the couch.

Second- Footwork: There is a HUGE difference in Good foot work, and good food speed. You don't have foot speed, Thats hard to come by as a big guy. But knowing where to step to be protected, having your weight on the right foot to protect the exposed leg and things of that nature are good foot work. I have yet to seen a good Bele oriented footwork video, there are a few out there for SCA fighting I suggest watching.
To increase foot speed, Jump rope. 20 on both feet, 20 on left foot, 20 on right foot, then 20 alternating. Do that everyday twice a day and youll start to notice a difference. Also Play DDR, think of it like fighting though, keep your feet straight, your balance in the right place and just moving constantly in it helps. Its the nerdest suggestion around but it gave me a step up.

Third- If you choose to lose weight go about it the right way. Don't just work out. Change your diet, I can tell you from experience just working out for a few months and then stoping and the weight comes right back. I highly suggest for work out low impact things, get in cardio and lots of it. Bike riding is a nice one. Works your legs and you can go for short bursts or for long endurance rides and not hurt your knees.

As for wrecking your knees from being mobile, That shouldn't happen. You are either pushing too fast or stepping with your weight to far forward. Honestly I find that being able to back up faster is a far more important factor in fighting then being able to run forward.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Scopus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Thanks for all of the advice, but I probably should have specified that I was 360 in October... so I'm well on the path your advice has laid out for me.

And, I wasn't really meaning the colloquial meaning of "big", I was meaning that I have the frame to match my height, and will probably be a natural 240. So, I was hoping if there were any styles that are especially effective for the body type I will be achieving, so I can get started on the practice early.
Scopus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 21 Apr 2009
Realm: Stormwrath
Unit: Merc - House Vollmer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swrd n Brd, SingleBlue, Hide behind Fox

Postby varadin » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:14 am

For fighting styles always fight with what is comfortable. I know a lot of bigger fighters who like to be really good in close because they cant retreat fast enough on the flip side I know a lot who use max length flails and tower shields to be as far away as possible for the same reason. It really comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 am

Red swords.
Just sayin'.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Solusar » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:00 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:Red swords.
Just sayin'.

+1
Seeing a dude your size busting through shields is scary. Scaring your opponents in itself is a victory because you're already won the mental game.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Arrakis » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Solusar wrote:
Remy the Wroth wrote:Red swords.
Just sayin'.

+1
Seeing a dude your size busting through shields is scary. Scaring your opponents in itself is a victory because you're already won the mental game.

Then, for that matter, get a 6.5' glaive and start working on your obliques.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Glaives are good too; I'm personally working my way up in sizes. *>Claymore>Great then I'll move to a 6' pole, 7' pole and finally an 8' pole.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby wowbragger » Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm new into Belegarth but my bro-in-law, Juggernaut, embodies a lot of what I think the big guy has to do and has the experience/practice to show for it.

Big guy? Use a BIG shield!

Jugg has great skills fighting with a shield and sword; hold a large tower style shield and pops out quick hits with his 1h blue. The man is brutal in dueling fights; using long reach, strike speed, and skillful blocks to cause about any type of fighter frustration.

That being said, the man is always in trouble in group fights. Slow body means even with great awareness its too easy to dart in on him.

He's down almost 100 lbs from a year ago, inevitably losing the weight as many others have and advise people to do.
wowbragger
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2012
Realm: Raen Dun Aear
Favorite Fighting Styles: Stick and Board

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Varadin wrote:There is a HUGE difference in Good foot work, and good food speed.

Hilariously à propos typo there, Varadin.

But seriously, if you don't have skilled fighters against whom to gain experience, the biggest single thing you can do to improve your fighting is to lose weight and get into shape.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed May 16, 2012 6:32 pm

and troll the boards; that's personally helped me in my development as a fighter.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Merida » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm seeking training advice for a brand new fighter. In a fun role reversal, I'm the veteran, training my 6'4 boyfriend, at probably 230 pounds. He's a bit overweight, but I know that he is a casual exerciser. For reference, I'm 5'5 and about 165 lbs. I usually train the new women or young men who come to my realm and my Bele-based larp, but I can't remember the last time I trained someone more than 3 inches taller than me. I loved Sponge's Whack-A-Mole suggestion. Fun date for me. Any other advice? I'm against putting reds and poles in the hands of rank amateurs I'm thinking of starting him with sword and board, maybe flo, if he proves to have good reflexes.
Merida
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 Sep 2011
Realm: Gondor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Flo, Sword and Board

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training