Parry and Punchblocks

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Parry and Punchblocks

Postby Tiercel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

Alric Lykaios wrote:
Tiercel wrote:
Alric Lykaios wrote:Personally I lean towards blocking shots rather than parrying, my speed isn't the greatest yet, and it's a lot less thinking on my part to block their shot with my weapon see the * look on their face and hope to god that I don't die in the next second.

Would you care to elaborate on that?

Which part would you like for me to elaborate on? My block/parry definition, or something else entirely?

I didn't care about the res. I didn't understand what you meant when you said you'd rather block with your weapon than parry, nor why blocking with your weapon is receiving a * response.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby No'Vak » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:43 pm

He probably meant counter attacking coinciding with parrying.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Arrakis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:59 am

Well, I was going to say he probably hasn't fought very much (based on forum join date) and therefore isn't aware that blocking a shot with a sword isn't something that is surprising to most people, but his profile says he started fighting a little over a year ago, which, in TA, is plenty of time to learn that sword blocking is totally normal, so, I don't know what to tell you.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Alric Lykaios » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Arrakis wrote:Well, I was going to say he probably hasn't fought very much (based on forum join date) and therefore isn't aware that blocking a shot with a sword isn't something that is surprising to most people, but his profile says he started fighting a little over a year ago, which, in TA, is plenty of time to learn that sword blocking is totally normal, so, I don't know what to tell you.

Somewhat correct. I took about a 6 month haitus to focus on school. I also didn't start to work on my sword blocking/counter attacking until after I came back, so people weren't used to me doing that, sorry for the confusion Tiercel.
Alric Lykaios
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Aug 2009
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Jav 'n Board
Florentine

Previous

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training