Training CD's

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Training CD's

Postby Bhakdar » Fri May 11, 2007 8:43 pm

This is an excellent forum. I will be contributing heavily to this field in the near future. In addition to occupation now consisting of hiring myself out as a full time swordfighting mentor, I will be producing training CD's throughout this year.

I've begun with a 'Bhakdar's Basics' CD that includes video tutorials of the rules and weapon check, video examples of combat, a 1-page Basic 5 on Stance, Footwork, Blocking, Swinging, and Counter-Swinging, the BoW, and a slew of other stuff for newer folks. They are currently on sale for $10 and come free to people seriously inquirying me about doing a training seminar for them.

I aim to have a 'Beginner' level CD released this summer (Geddon/Chaos) covering the Basic 5 in video, as well as some snippits dedicated to single blue and sword/board. These tutorial CD's will continue to get more elaborate with video, text, and all the media interaction I can muster until I can upgrade to making DVD's. Down the road, "Intermediate" level CD's will cover basic line order, group tactics, and styles that tend to be more difficult to master (florentine, polearm, 2-hand sword).

This forum is a perfect place to get feedback as I go, so I welcome input from you all:
"When you've been focused on learning, what media did you wish was available to assist you?"

"What would your ideal swordfighting mentor be like?"

"What training do you find most valuable and effective?"
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Zurokk » Tue May 15, 2007 2:56 pm

A few friends and i sat down and watched your video and i have to say it was very informative . Were mostly trying to pick it apart to find more advanced shots to mix into our styles my friend being a left hander liked the fact that there was a left handed fighter in some of the demos. I personally like the Mekoot Trial with Gorlock fighting two people,the 45 degree angle thing ... good to know.

"When you've been focused on learning, what media did you wish was available to assist you?"- Personally i would like a dvd but the CD's you have out arnt to bad

"What would your ideal swordfighting mentor be like?"
Ideally local...lol, but very informative...blunt and honest like " this is whats wrong.... your rap shots weak,your foot work sucks , you depend your armor and you telegraph your shots.....but this is how you fix that " i would want my mentor to tell me whats wrong with the way i fight and not BS me and then properly instruct me how to correct my weaknesses and use my strengths to become all round a better fighter.

"What training do you find most valuable and effective?"
well i like to be trained under fire meaning that i like Dueling someone and learning from them as im getting owned. but i also like getting taught new shots on a more formal level.
Zurokk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 5- 0-2006
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Thu May 17, 2007 10:30 am

Hey Bhakdar, do you think you could put a couple of small clips up somewhere. I think I could sell some of them up here, but I would like to see what I am pushing.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Elohssa Y'trid » Thu May 17, 2007 2:58 pm

Yeah, I'm starting to implement some of the shots thrown by the left-hander in the "Lions Ogres and Goblyns Oh My" video. I really love the fighting footage on your "Bhakdar's Basics" CD. Great, great stuff.
Mountain Troll.
Elohssa Y'trid
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lefty.

Postby Olos » Thu May 17, 2007 4:59 pm

I meant to pick one of those up at springwar, but never got around to it. Hell, if you have a way to, I'd paypal you the 10 bucks to transfer it online or mail me a copy. PM me if you can.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Bhakdar » Sun May 27, 2007 12:28 pm

The lefty fighter in the Lions, Ogres, and Goblyns video is Falkor from Henneth-Annun. He now lives in Numenor and imo is probably the best lefty in the game with a classic round shield & broadsword.

A system for shipping CD's may come in time but right now works best for me to do via events. If youi're intersted in a CD hit me up at Mel or Armageddon. I've been developing all this stuff while not at a permanent address (I've been traveling & swordfighting :P)

SooMaTai-- that's awesome to hear you have intersted people. Videos that are training oriented I will be selling such that I can keep paying my way to go to events, travel, mentor, and swordfight. I will also make more rules oriented videos that are needed for our sport though, like "The Rules of Contact" and "How-to Herald" which I will aim to get on media like Google Video. You can currently check out rules tutorial videos on google video that Xipher and I did a while back. I will definitely have video work done by Chaos and will bring a bunch of CD's out there.
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue May 29, 2007 1:49 pm

Sweet, we'll see you at CW then. Lookin forward to continuing my barrel.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:34 am

Ill Buy a CD if you put Lobos brutality trial on it.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Bhakdar » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:23 pm

I'll sell you the complete Headhunter collection with Davit & I's crossroads, my trials, Lobo's and Gorlocks set to music for $20. Headhunters are the only people in the game that have all that footage currently.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Dabbanoth » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:29 pm

Done.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Lodian Black » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:57 pm

BUY IT!
"It shall be swift. It shall be graceful. The precision of my blade ever so faithful."

Lodian Black
- Black Tiger Organization-
Lodian Black
Toadie
Toadie

video's

Postby Wisp » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 am

Been looking for some more Bel/Dag style specific videos. Doesn't seem to be much of anything out there online. How do these videos compare with the SKBC vid's or Brennon's or Grendles IM stuff? Are there any reviews posted anywhere?
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training