video assistants

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Would you like to see video accompanyment for tutorials?

Yes
100%
No (bad idea)
No votes

Total votes : 15

video assistants

Postby Izanaki » Fri May 25, 2007 9:58 am

While most people may not have access to digital video cameras, but, would it be possible for those with the ability to do so, include videos to perhaps accompany explanations of things.

I dont know how others feel about the idea, but it would be good for people like me that may have trouble reading, and then visualizing text as action. Of course, it would be voluntary, so no special moves would be given away, but rather used for threads meant to help instruct beginners, etc.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Aegis » Fri May 25, 2007 10:07 am

perhaps we can film some classes at armageddon/CWXI/Equinox?
Id be willing to help out.
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Izanaki » Fri May 25, 2007 10:42 am

*Note for anyone*

Preferably, for everyone's benefit, if it can be filmed from multiple angles, that would be best.

Example: to block basic short sword swings, and the blocker is right handed, being filled from their left side, probably wont help.

However, limiting how it is seen, may make it more difficult for some people, because if you see a side profile of a block, the person may not know where to stop their sword at, depending on how it is being done.

I have some photography experience, and while it won't substitute for video well, it is safe to say that the best angles to shoot from are these 3, if not more.

1. Left/right side profile
2. fighter facing the camera (best for dry runs, to show slow, step by step processes)
3. Above/below (best for dry runs, to show slow, step by step processes, and to show how far from the body something may be positioned.)

For #3, above would be difficult, but for below, set the camera at the person's feet, facing up at the ceiling, maybe hook the A/V cord up to a TV so you can see where its looking, and know how to better reposition it before filming.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Bhakdar » Sun May 27, 2007 12:16 pm

I will be shooting instructional videos this summer. I have some video education under my belt but no professional experience. Anyone with extensive video experience or suggestions of what you want an instructional video to look like keep posting ideas here and I will take them into consideration while making videos.

[/i]
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training