A little shield on shield action

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A little shield on shield action

Postby Crom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:27 am

I'm a fairly new fighter who has been dabbling in the wonderful world of Belegarth for roughly five months now. With my trusty sword and shield I can hold my own against pretty much every style of fighting that I've encountered and fortunatly been able to find weakpoints in these styles so I can quickly generate a plan of attack before engageing anyone...as long as they don't have a shield. For some bloody reason I can not beat a shield for the life of me. Would anyone be willing to share their knowledge and help this little hombre out? (I don't know if this matters or not but i'm left handed)
My Victory is as Garunteed as a crak-hoe, working for crak!!!
Crom
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Pierce » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:20 am

As a lefty myself, I noticed when going sword and board the mirror effect leaves your left side open more than what is comfortable, so if this is the case cover your sword arm more because it is easier for your opponent to hit you there.
Western Uruk-Hai Ravenger
(\_/)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(> <)
My bunny is better than your bunny.
Its octopi you jackass.
Pierce
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 2004
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: GIMME A WEAPON!

Postby muskrat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:50 am

i try to take out legs so i do a fake for the of there sheild and thin i pull back really fast and take a leg and thin you have the advantage
If it bleeds i can kill it.
Cars dont hit me i hit cars.
muskrat
Monkey
Monkey

Postby muskrat » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:51 am

i do a fake for the top of there sheild
If it bleeds i can kill it.
Cars dont hit me i hit cars.
muskrat
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:01 pm

Oderus, If you can catch up with me at some practice, i can give you some tips about both fighting with a strap sheild, and fighting against a strap sheild
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Dr. Kazi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:47 pm

lef-ty CHOP! lef-ty CHOP!

Wait until they do something, anything, then swing as hard as you can at their body. This will kill a shocking percentage of right handed fighters, especially if they don't know you're left handed.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Cib » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:11 pm

I have heard (for us righties) that if you are fighting blue only and come up against a sword and board to switch sword hands so that your sword hand is the same as your opponents. Why? It makes there shield much less effective.

When you, as a lefty, using a sword come up against a righty sword and board, be aware that you have lost much of the effectiveness of you shield, however so has your opponent.
You will eventually gain an advantage in this due to the fact that you will face a lot more righty sword and boarders than any righty sword and boarders will face lefty sword and boarders, you will have the advantage of experience.

This also explains why Kazi's lef-ty CHOP works so well.
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby Sothopoly » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:45 am

Throw combos, Dont throw single shots, Throw a light shot high and wide then bring it low into their leg, do high-to-low combos and left-to-right combos. Use fients, as in, throw half of a shot in one direction, then throw a full shot in another... get them to block shots you dont intend to land so they are out of place for the shots that matter.
Edited by Tinman for flaming

.: DaRk AnGeL :.
Knight of Numenor
"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear"
Sothopoly
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:12 am

Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dacian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 pm

Work with opposites, that is, this in a nutshell.

If you throw a shot to their left side, they will naturally block their left side. What, now, is open? The opposite side.

Vice versa. swing to their right, they'll leave their left open.

When you attack their "opposite" side, you are attacking the furthest point from their defended side. So, to over-simplify things, swing left-right, right left, high-low, right arm-left leg, etc...

Once again, that may be overly simplified, but play around with that, as it is a nice beginning basic tactic.

NOTE: This forces you to throw more than one shot. Once you learn and practice combinations of shots, it is much harder for them to block.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Rhys » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:21 pm

One thing I have found to help my sword'n'board vs sword'n'board is learning things such as shield kicks and shield checks. These will surprise your enemy and give you a chance to hit an opened up area. If you can, work on these at practice with someone until you can learn to do it effectively.
Rhys
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Wolfpack
Unit: Hell Hammer

Postby deflagratio » Mon May 12, 2008 9:49 am

Remember to circle to their weapon. This brings your shield more into play and takes theres further out. If you can get the angle then press in and tie up his weapon while you try to wail on his back.
I recommend I33 and Lichtenaur
deflagratio
Recruit
Recruit

Postby bo1 » Tue May 13, 2008 11:11 am

match the feet first. put the same foot forward as they have. not actual left foot vs left foot, but as you see it. so if my opponent is right foot forward you want to be left foot forward. footwork is the most important thing, it gets you into good positions, which lets you win.

finding a good righty and work with them on slow work to find shots. i mean like bearly moving slow work. have them throw shots slow and you react, see what is open and what shots come natural.

lots of lefty fighters move to my left when we fight. this increases the distance i have to throw a shot and gives them longer to try to get my arm. at times they reverse direction and throw a wrap, or close and throw a high cross. so try these.

oh and lastly, learn to weapon block and counter strike. these are the true lefty advantages.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Derian » Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 am

I've only skimmed over, so I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but get real close to them.

Unless you're fighting with a long * sword/whatever, get right up next to them. Your shields should be four or five inches apart.

It's hard for a lot of people; hell, it's hard for me to do, but the majority of people will get really uncomfortable when you invade their personal space, and will start to make mistakes.

I know because I get chumped every time it happens to me, and vice versa when I actually pull it off.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby deflagratio » Tue May 13, 2008 7:01 pm

One thing that gets taught in the SCA alot is to throw a shot when you go in and when you go out of range. Alway. On they way it it keeps your opponent busy blocking rather than trying to break the initiative and on the way out of range it keeps them from engaging. Many people when they are attacked will wait for the attack to stop and then launch their own. If you throw one last shot as you retreat it keeps them from coming forward too fast.
I recommend I33 and Lichtenaur
deflagratio
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm

then swing as hard as you can at their body

this is never a good idea. You should never be swinging as hard as you can, that's how people get hurt. I am 5'10" and 135# and if I hit you as hard as I can, it will hurt you.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Sleeper » Tue May 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Truth.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby bangor » Tue May 20, 2008 2:20 pm

The idea isn't to get rid of the pain, it's to get rid of the injury. Harden up!
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 pm

When he said "hurt", Soo Ma Tai meant injure. I also can injure people by swinging full force.

May I mail you my medical bills, bangor?
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Sleeper » Tue May 20, 2008 5:28 pm

bangor wrote:The idea isn't to get rid of the pain, it's to get rid of the injury. Harden up!

Lemme give you a shield breaking hit to your knee or kidney and lets see if you stick by this statement.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Tue May 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Call me biased, but if a shield breaking hit requires more force than a kidney shot, people aren't taking the shield shots they should. I hit shields and shins with the same amount of force.

I've pulled more than one fighter aside and said that, followed by "So how hard do you want me to hit you and your shield?"
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Mercer » Wed May 21, 2008 12:15 am

One cannot "harden up" the natural weak points in the human body. We are not rhinos, we can't thicken our skin. We could armor up with fat, but I'd rather have a heart that isn't solid gunk.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed May 21, 2008 2:22 am

Old thread is old, but it bears repeating.

If you as a lefty are not winning at least 50% of your engagements with relentless aforementioned lefty-chops, then you are not doing your job as a lefty sword & boarder. The other 50% of your victories should come from the fact that your opponent should be expecting a lefty-chop 100% of the time; so you feint a chop and juke 'em in their shield side shoulder or kidney. :attention: AS HARD AS YOU CAN.* :attention:

I promise, if you can understand those two simple rules, you will pwn the world. When you go up against medium to high skilled opponents your left handedness isn't really an advantage anymore. If there aren't any skilled fighters in your area, try to spar with another lefty, or switch hands for a few months.

Also, don't let people know you're left handed until it's too late. Then it's LEFTY CHOP time. Control the speed of the fight, strike first (generally), strike to kill. Run with the left flank, we have the most fun.

These are really crude instructions and obviously, you aren't going to reach the top with only two moves in your vocabulary, but you would be surprised at how effective those two moves can be if you practice them.

*Well... maybe not that hard.
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training