easy hitting people with two handed swords

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

easy hitting people with two handed swords

Postby samons » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:07 pm

i've tryed out this and it works very well on people with one weapon this is how you do it put you best hand at the end of the handle just before the pumble and your bad hand on the tip of the sword (the sword should be on your bad hands side) quickly crouch down and swing the sword your other hand should just slide down the sword to the handle if you did it corectly getting leg hits with this swing will be very easy
samons
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dacian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:35 pm

This is a terrible way to get hit in the head. Crouching down anytime in this game is unintelligent and dangerous.

I don't mean to call *you* "unintelligent", but no matter what, actually crouching down, instead of merely swinging low, can end in tragedy.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby samons » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:38 pm

ok you can not incude that part then but im sorta a noob myself
samons
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dacian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:52 pm

It's all good. Since you seem to be steering toward Red fighting, may I suggest something?

If your opponent is using a shield (who doesn't these days?), one of the most effective strategies I've seen when using a Red weapon, is to attack the edge of their shield. This will move their shield, even slightly, and you can land a decently solid blow on your opponent.

Another technique is to partner up with someone else, preferably someone with a shield. The advantage of a Red weapon is you can keep people away from you, however if they get in too close to you, Red weapons are almost completely useless. If you partner up with someone, you can keep your opponent at Red's distance, and won't have to worry as much about them charging in at you. You can cover the far ground while your partner protects the close ground. :)

I am by no means an effective red fighter, however, I've seen very effective Red fighters turn the field into their team's favor.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby savetuba » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:39 pm

Dacian wrote: If your opponent is using a shield (who doesn't these days?), one of the most effective strategies I've seen when using a Red weapon, is to attack the edge of their shield.

Weapon side is very effective if you have a stabbing tip. It will push the shield away from the body and they then imaple them selves on it or have to work around this object you just put in front of them. Good way to slow/stop a charging shield man.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:09 pm

Savetuba, that's actually the very strategy the red weapon I'm building is intended to be used with. I fight very kendo-y for someone who has never studied kendo, and the whack-the-edge-of-their-shield-and-stab-'em thing just makes so much sense to me!

Yay greentips!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby savetuba » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:01 pm

thats how I first learned to kill a shield user with a spear. smack the edge, then stab. :D
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Aegis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:52 pm

just be careful swinging your spear sideways...

youll smack someone in the side with an illegal shot in order to get a good stab...

its kinda like trying to get a shoulder shot by smacking them in the ear to distract them and then tap down into their shoulder and expect them to take it... Both are illegal.

if you want to swing a spear sideways, make a glaive... then you might even get shield blowthru and kill before you even have to stab...

I much prefer the glaive to spear in every circumstance...
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:04 pm

Which is why I plan on doing it with a 50" Red/Green sword vs. a Javelin or something!

Yay for Reds, Yay for Greentipped swords and Yay for effectiveness!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby samons » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:28 pm

i really don't like glaves to easy to hit people and thats no fun at all
samons
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Bodmin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:41 pm

thats the point, to hit them with your weapon
Bodmin
Berserker
Berserker

Unit: Hell Hammer

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:26 am

Bodmin wrote:thats the point, to hit them with your weapon

whoa... it all comes together now....
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Aegis » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:38 am

I dont know about you guys, i like to kill people by stabbing them in each limb, and then getting everyone else on the field stabbed in each limb and dont kill anyone, and be damned anyone that actually kills their opponent quickly.... thats too easy.

but can anyone give me any tips, cause um, stabbing everyone in all their limbs is really hard.
Aegis
Warrior
Warrior

Postby GvK » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:04 am

That spear-user (in the picture) is Quinn of the Vardrotta (my unit) and he was *not* swinging his spear sideways, though he sure as heck changed its direction when he saw the opening. He *has* a glaive BTW, made by yours truly, and he *does* use it quite well, but he digs spear fighting the most. I fought by him at Rag constantly and I know he is an honorable fighter and would not intentionally do anything illegal to get a "mere" combat advantage. If you knew Quinn, you'd know he is an incredibly laid-back guy and does not get bent about "winning."

However, that spear I made him is almost 4 years old and he "hits it like a crack pipe" (so to speak) so it's really getting worn-out and has a LOT of flex. Even though the core is a bandshoppe pole, my spear made at the exact same time has been used 10% as much and remains FAR stiffer. I guess it just goes to show that even bandshoppe poles can "wear out" over time if used enough... Crap, I guess that means I need to make a new spear for him (I got this 10' SCA fiberglass spear core for just that purpose).
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby savetuba » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:56 pm

Aegis wrote:just be careful swinging your spear sideways...

youll smack someone in the side with an illegal shot in order to get a good stab...

That looks like he is changing direction.

However, I meant you swing at the weapon side. In this sport spears are to under-powered, so most should use a glaive.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training