Stopping a charge

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Stopping a charge

Postby Drifter » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:41 am

Something I noticed that I had a hard time stopping was a charger with a shield. What are some good defenses against this? I was thinking that with a red weapon, merely putting it out in front of you so that they run into it, but I can see flaws with that as well. Any suggestions?
“We sail within a vast sphere, ever drifting in uncertainty, driven from end to end.”
Drifter
Recruit
Recruit

Postby bo1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:44 am

circle back and to the shield side of the opponent. this will put you in range and them at a constant state of trying to catch up.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Dacian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:27 pm

in addition to what bo1 said...

move out of the way. Unless you're a decent sized guy, it can be very diffucult to stop a charge.

Merely step out of the way. This leaves them with forward momentum and sloppy footwork, whereas calmly moving away from them will leave you more in control of the situation. Always try and fight an opponent on your terms, not theirs.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Sir_Mel » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:48 am

Shield kicks. I take it from some of your other posts that you happen to be a bigger guy due to your wielding dual reds, use your size to an advantage. Even without a shield to hide behind, through your sword up to block whatever wrap/high cross/lefty chop/etc they throw and plant your foot firmly in the middle of their shield. This may not be for everyone, but if you tend to lean toward the "stand and deliver" style of fighting, it can be quite effective.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Atari » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:09 am

This is what my Instructor told me:
What is the most effective way to block a strike?
Answer, dont be there. Like squire said, just move. Why spend the effort blocking whan you can just step aside?
SAHS

"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way."
-General George Patton
"The 9mm is a .45 set on 'stun'"
-Unknown
Atari
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 14 Jul 2005
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Bow and Arrow

Postby Orso, » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:31 pm

or just lay them out with a shoulder, maybe they will kill you but they will think about next time
Orso,
Underling
Underling

Postby Sir_Mel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:38 am

listen to all of this and apply except when it involves orso.

If given the choice between bashing kenny or bashing orso, definitely do not bash orso, you will get very hurt. Just ask Rune the gangletard about that one, that was pancake block if I've ever seen one.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Elwrath » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:05 pm

jump. when they within range of bashing you jump to meet there charge...ya you'll get knocked back, and maybe even fall over. But once you get the hang of it you'll get a wicked advantage.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Drakkar/Hohiro » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:23 pm

I personally prefer the last minute side-step. Using a shield myself, and I do charge with it at times, I always watch for such a possible move from my opponent.
Drakkar/Hohiro
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 24 Jul 2007
Realm: Talinor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Primary: Florentine (War axe & Flail)
Secondary: Archery

Postby Dacian » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:53 am

Elwrath wrote:jump. when they within range of bashing you jump to meet there charge...ya you'll get knocked back, and maybe even fall over. But once you get the hang of it you'll get a wicked advantage.

Drifter...as crazy as this sounds, this is entirely true.

Sometimes you may even want to change up your tactic. The element of surprise is always a good thing.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:06 am

If it doesn’t matter if the opponent gets past where you are standing, smack his shield while he is charging but before he is close enough to hit you with a hard quick diagonal or horizontal chop (might as well call out “red” while you are at it) as if you are trying to drive it into his sword hand. While swinging, step with your back foot deeply toward his shield side, rotating on your front foot. Immediately after throwing the shot, get your sword in a defensive position for the blow you know is coming and step back with the other foot to restore range. You both end up at a 90 to 180 degree angle to where you started.

If turning your back to the charger’s friends is a problem, you have room to move and he is concentrating on a powerful charge instead of swinging his sword when he gets in range, step hard to the side at the last possible moment and snap your sword down as if missing a down-shot, then snap it back up sideways into his back. This is a rare shot that I haven’t thrown in years but still requires practice to get right.

If you are in a shield wall, protecting archers or otherwise in a place where the charger’s goal is to get past you, get as wide a stance as possible, crouch and throw your left shoulder forward and pull your blade back from a sword-blocking position at the last possible moment to * your sword like a baseball bat then chop both his ankles out from under him.

This last tactic has a suicidal aspect to it because small men rarely try to bowl you over with their shield.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:11 am

Oh, and if you are considering any of those latter moves I suggested, look out for guys who look like they are trying to bowl you over but stop and throw a wrap shot instead.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Arrakis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:10 pm

Amen to that last comment, Tom.

Izareth, that sneaky goblin, came wide around on a team I was on the other day, hard and fast. He convinced me nicely to post up for a bash or a straight fight... and then he shifted momentum slightly to the right and went right around me, ass-wrapping as he went.

Gotta watch them sneaksters.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby jacknife » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:38 am

Charge! if your light and quick, go past them and get em in the back.
If you are big, bash and wrap shot.
jacknife
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby okita » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm

I know this is an old thread but I figured it was worth posting.
Anyway, assuming they have a shield, just set your lead leg to the outside of the opponent's shield side foot and recieve the shield with your weapon or shield and cover the sword with yours, or the end of your pole. Do it gently, they shouldn't feel any resistance at all. That'll let them feel that they've got your weight in front of them even if your feet shift a bit. As they pass into your range, pull your hips, and finally your trailing leg out of their way. You can use the rotation that causes to push into the opponent's side with whatever you recieved the attack with. Get your hips into it enough and you've got a good chance of taking their balance or knocking them down, either way, the fight's yours at that point.
The feel is just using your weapons, or even hands as feelers, and at the latest moment turning your hips to push them to the side. If your form's right (meaning good enough to generate enough force to take his balance) the movement should take you out of the path anyway.

'Course an easier one is to just drop forward, take one knee, and let him crash onto the shield or shaft of your pole at about waist height. The shield folds, the player folds, the attack folds, and generally they won't want to do that again.
okita
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training