Fighting biases

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Fighting biases

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:30 pm

Let me start this thread by stating a few of my biases.

I prefer a strap shield to a punch shield. I prefer an open shield (edge toward the opponent) to a closed shield (flat toward the opponent). I prefer cored heater shields to round shields. I dislike spin shots and, overall, think they are slow and open up too much of your body to a quick attack. I think classic weapon shapes are classic for a reason.

It recently occured to me that all of these biases are meaningless. They affect how I teach others - don't ask me how to best use a punch shield - but have no other bearing on the field of battle.

If somebody does something legal but stupid on the field and you can't block him and then hit him, perhaps you simply need to improve ... or perhaps its not that stupid.

I've been watching a video about the proper way to do a spin shot and a few things have occured to me:
1) It's very hard to throw a shieldside shot low around a closed shield
2) The guy teaching the shot knows very well how vulnerable he is doing the maneuver and teaches how to move the shield to compensate (moving it in ways I can't move my big heater strap shield ... yet).
3) As long as I continue to fight with a big, heavy, open, strap shield look for me to continue using the shieldside shots I favor instead of a spin shot.
4) Perhaps some of my biases are wrong ... and not just about spin shots.

Perhaps I should take a second look at the somersault thrust move ...
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Dabbanoth » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:56 pm

Spin shots are, in my opinion, extremely effective. Thomas, if you would like to learn some, more hands-on, catch up to me at the next practice, i can show you a thing or two
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Dacian » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:44 pm

spin shots are the worst and greatest maneuvers you can learn. They can be diffucult to master (which before you become good at them, they are the worst tactic on the field), but if you can do them well - and correct - they can be devastating.

I've only seen good spins several times. Most of what I see is pointless spinning and dying.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:35 am

Dagganoth wrote:Spin shots are, in my opinion, extremely effective. Thomas, if you would like to learn some, more hands-on, catch up to me at the next practice, i can show you a thing or two

I'll stick with a moulinet and the other shieldside shots I've learned for open shield for now and am more interested in learning exactly how you do that behind the back thing you occasionally do with your shield.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby bo1 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:51 pm

a spin shot is just another tool in the box. You use it for the right job and it is great, use it for what is not intended then it is bad.

i wouldn't use my nice snap-on flank drive wrenches to drive a nail. and i would never use a hammer to take out a bolt.

a spin shot is great for closing the distance between my target, also for using some miss direction. i often will open with a spin to set up my fake spin to wrap shot.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:26 pm

bo1 wrote:i wouldn't use my nice snap-on flank drive wrenches to drive a nail. and i would never use a hammer to take out a bolt.

Depends on if the hammer is covered in paint....and how the bolt is stuck.

But that's just the techie talking. ;)
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training