building speed

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

building speed

Postby vulcan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 pm

ok i want to get quite a bit faster as im one of the slowest fighters on my realms feild right now

would learning flourintine help with this
and any other ways would be greatly appreceated
vulcan
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Black Cat » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:02 pm

Yeah, florentine can help, but you'll need to find someone experienced at it in your realm to teach you if you want to learn to use that style efficiently.

As for hints and tips, look on the new boards (fireboards) under fighter skill development.

These threads should help.

Dual Wield (florentine thread)

Power vs. Speed debate

I don't have much experience with florentine myself and I have only very basic proficiency in it, so there is nothing that I can tell you about it that isn't covered in the links provided.

You may also want to try glaive or redsword fighting if you are a slower fighter. Most redswords and shorter glaives can still be swung fast once you get good at using them, but redsword and glaive are more or less power styles in nature. These styles are especially effective for people like me whom are light-built, but naturally have more power than speed in their swings.

Live long and prosper,

Black Cat
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Bortas » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Lots of good information in those posts... if you are trying to work on overall muscle speed, add some serious stretching to your workout routine... ie: yoga. Stretching builds muscle elasticity, stretchy muscles are faster.

None of that helps with reflexes, however...

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:07 pm

For me, "speed" is the time between your opponent noticing that you are swinging and the blow landing.

That said, one of the biggest things that I see slowing down newbie swings are extra movement that is not part of getting the stick to the opponent.

For example, many new fighters carry their sword vertically out in front of them, then draw their fist back to their ear and * the tip back before swinging. I see the tip go back and I throw a blow, which looks much faster to the newbie because a) he's in the middle of swinging and not everybody switches quickly from attack to defence and b) my sword is already back ready to throw a blow before I was close enough to swing.

On the other hand, against an experienced fighter, my blows are slow as hell because they can see my swings coming from the way I drop my shoulder with every swing (which I have yet to consistently fix).
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:11 pm

There's this type of work out... it's got a name......... someone else will think about it.

It specializes in "explosive action." IE: going from not moving to moving in a blink. IE: swinging.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Kyrian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:There's this type of work out... it's got a name......... someone else will think about it.

It specializes in "explosive action." IE: going from not moving to moving in a blink. IE: swinging.

plyometrics...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:23 pm

Kyrian wrote:plyometrics...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

There is some really great stuff buried in that article. Most interesting to me was the bit about stretching the muscle slightly prior to contraction. The guy who first taught me to fight called it "*" (like * a gun): shoulder back & hip rotated until you feel a bit of tension to move back the other way (swinging).
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Lothiron » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:43 pm

I know I'm new here and I haven't even actually played before, but something thats good for speed and reaction time? Raquetball, you have no idea how unaturally fast you have to be.
Lothiron
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Orso, » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:10 pm

i will second the Raquetball idea, basically i think of it like this. We adapt to the things we do everyday, so want to get physilogicaly better at it perform that activity at you limit and your body will do the rest. That goes for speed power endurance and alot of other things
Orso,
Underling
Underling

Postby Jeean » Tue May 13, 2008 4:50 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Kyrian wrote:plyometrics...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

There is some really great stuff buried in that article. Most interesting to me was the bit about stretching the muscle slightly prior to contraction. The guy who first taught me to fight called it "*" (like * a gun): shoulder back & hip rotated until you feel a bit of tension to move back the other way (swinging).

From what i've been told Gelves (sp? xD) fight like this, by making a fake (stretch kinda) then unleashing fury. Many of the vets we had fought like this and i find it very useful if u can get the stretch (gun * lol) in effectively - gives you a nice boost of speed that you can ride out *hard to describe :( but i notice after stretching my back or shoulder i get that rush immediately after and let it flow
"If you aren't living you're dieing" -Confucious Jeean
"ZOMG!!! A Ninja?? ITSA PARTY!!!" -Sifl & Oly

Ninja Squad!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isreal
Jeean
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Korrayn
Unit: Ninja Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Butter

Postby Roland Demox » Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 am

I would reccomend not using Wikipedia to get info on plyometrics. There are alot better sites out there that I have found and love. Ill see if I can find some of them again
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu May 15, 2008 4:09 pm

That would be awesome, De'Mox.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby