How to flank

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How to flank

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:44 pm

If you are alone fighting 2 on 1 and the two people wanting to attack walk in a wide circle to flank, focus your attention on the better fighter to encourage him to approach you slowly then, as soon as the pair achieve their wide V and think about closing on you, charge the newbie instead.

Best case, you kill the newbie before the better fighter can close.

Almost as good, you maneuver the swirl of battle in your one on one duel with the newbie so that your better opponent reaches the newbie's back instead of your own.

The counter to this is to not walk in a wide circle and properly flank. (Continued)
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Re: How to flank

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Best case, you kill the newbie before the better fighter can close. ... The counter to this is to not walk in a wide circle and properly flank.

To flank a lone opponent when you have a partner, walk strait toward the opponent with your partner about five feet to your side. If you can reach out and barely touch your partner with your sword, you are about the right distance apart.

When you and your partner get close enough to attack the lone opponent, take a long hard step (or two) diagonally. Your partner also takes his diagonal steps but to the opposite side.

Best case, your lone opponent ends up right between you while you are both close enough to hit him.

Almost as good, the lone opponent dodges to the side to attack one of you and the other partner is a step or two away instead of running 6-10 steps while his partner dies.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:40 pm

I fight alone against a pair a fair amount (usually gimped, but that's not important). I find that proper use of feint-spins and spin moves can win you an encounter with great ease (though with optimum exertion, if you're legged). Start a lunge at one of the fighters flanking you when they get almost close enough to hit you, but then stop that short, turn 180 degrees, and lunge at the fighter now starting in at what was just a moment ago, your back. Block anything coming from him and then toss your shield straight behind you to catch anything from the first fighter while you kill the second. Then, it's a mano a mano.

YMMV (Hell, MY milage varies...)
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:43 pm

Arrakis, that sounds like some really good advice for after you are flanked.

I agree its not always possible, but I try to put a lot of effort into not getting flanked in the first place.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:09 am

I'm gonna have to say the whole flanking thing is a bunch of garbage but that's just my opinion.

If you're going to worry so much about the one many singling you out, don't let that happen. Stand with your partner right next to you. As you're rolling up on your opponent, decide amongst yourselves to have one of you swing high and one of you swing low. Then constantly barrage your opponent in your designated area. They wont be able to block all of your shots, all over their body unless they're magic or cheating.

Very effective in my experience.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:24 am

I know that you're saying if you've already been flanked, and that you understand that avoiding that situation is the overall goal.

To do THAT, constantly position yourself so that you have one of the fighters between you and the third. Probably the newb. You get to watch the vet get so frustrated as he can't get around the newb to attack you, and the newb is an easier target for you now that you've positioned the fight 1v1.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Arrakis » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:57 am

Like I said, hardly ever comes up EXCEPT when I'm legged and probably the last one alive on my team. Then, it's really common for me to be "forcibly flanked against my will".

That's when those techniques come into play.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Bhakdar » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Every scenario has its best approach, but if you want to improve your fighting I'd recommend aiming at your more difficult opponent first.

In general, a tough experienced opponent will take their opportunity to kill or gymp you while you are trying to kill a newb. You are in more danger and less effective if attacking the newb doesn't roll how you want (and its no fun or training benefit to them if they die in 2 seconds).

It's probably most developing for a person to focus on the person they're challenged by and just aim to gymp a newb as needed if they're double-teamed by such a pair. If it's a fresh newb and you can gimp or kill them easily-- let them train for some teamwork approach and focus on gymping the more experienced fighter.

Training 2-on-1s with odds against you, I'd recommend focusing on taking the leg of whoever is the most trouble for you as first priority. It's the easiest path to controlling the situation while giving everyone the optimum amount of practice.

Whenever you engage a weaker fighter first, you are allowing the most experienced fighters of the enemy team to gain advantage. Try to place yourself in the balance accordingly.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Shratisfaction » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Again all you need to do is think of planets and orbits.
"soon flanking mastery will be yours"(spoken with a booming impressive voice)
I Kant believe it's not butter.(:
Shratisfaction
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Shratopia
Unit: Shratopia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fork and knife

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training