How to walk a V

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How to walk a V

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:21 am

The most common team maneuvers I have seen at fighter practice are the V and the uber-wide flank. In another thread, I posted how to defeat an uber-wide flank before explaining a better way to flank because I believe that the best way to fix a bad habit is to teach everybody how to render it ineffective.

For those unfamiliar with the V, a more aggressive fighter approaches an opponent (or holds his ground when an opponent approaches him) and the guys on either side of those two individuals fall back 2-3 steps with the intention of running forward again after combat is initiated. I have seen V's 4 man deep.

I believe Daggenoth is the best person at our local fighter practice to walk a V (much better than I). I believe doing it is largely a matter of timing, battlefield awareness and aggression.

When two V's meet each other, the point man needs to be aware of how much time it takes the newbies behind the other point man to reach him and aggressively attack the other point for only that long. If he can defeat his lone opponent that quickly, great. If he cannot, he needs to take a long sidestep along with an attack as soon as the man on that side gets withing range and then another step (with an attack) to place the newbie between himself and the other point man. Usually by this point the other point man is engaging the two other newbies that were behind you and you have a second or two to kill this opponent before the next newbie in the V reaches you.

This process is repeated until somebody stops rushing at you alone and you can run back to the swirling melee formed out of the other side of the V.

I've seen Dag kill as many as 4 people on my side in under 10 seconds when a V formed behind me, engaging each of them in single combat for a second or two before moving on to the next person conveniently lined up like dominos.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:46 am

By the way, Dagganoth doesn't always walk a V to his sword-side. I've seen him use a spin shot to his shield side to begin his walk up the opposite side of the V.

Needless to say, the best way to defeat a skilled lone opponent is to be beside your allies (not two steps behind them) and to step in such a way that you do not end up between your opponent and your help (unless that help is an archer or a spear).

The biggest problem I have as point man when Dag tries to walk my V is that moving with him when he sidesteps cuts off my own ally on that side but still leaves me open to the newbies behind him.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Dabbanoth » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:03 pm

For me its a combination of two things. If im fighting one person at a time, i can take lots more people than if i fight one by one, by starting in the middle and rolling wide, I string the other team out wider, giving my teammates more of a chance to do the same.
Aggression and intimidation are a big part of fighting too, if you can get someone to rock their weight onto their heels, their legs are less mobile, so you can drop a leg shot quickly and effectively, while still rolling down a line.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Shratisfaction » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Think of planets and orbits.
I Kant believe it's not butter.(:
Shratisfaction
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Shratopia
Unit: Shratopia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fork and knife

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Buck 50. wrote:Think of planets and orbits.

Could you explain at a little greater length? I'm not certain what you mean.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Shratisfaction » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:24 pm

Think Of planets and orbits in terms flanking and movement while fighting.
Just think about it for a while and then you know what I mean and you will understand it better.
I Kant believe it's not butter.(:
Shratisfaction
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Shratopia
Unit: Shratopia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fork and knife

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:30 pm

Yes.... yes.... true zen. Thank you kobold master.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra