SKBC 2008...

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SKBC 2008...

Postby Sir_Mel » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:36 am

So, any belegrim thinking about going? These guys seem to know what they're talking about as far fighting technique goes, even if they're a little light weight. I was considering making the trip with somebody from my realm and was wondering if I'd see any fellow belegrim.

http://skbc.naropa.edu/

Here's the main site so you can see a little bit of what it's going to be like.

Later,
The Mel
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:50 am

WTT: Soul, for 1 trip to SKBC.

Check some this stuff out:

Speciality Classes

Female Body Mechanics (No cap on amount of students)

This class will be for lady fighters, and trainers who work with lady fighters. We will discuss some of the physical and psychological issues that many lady fighters face and offer some tips and training techniques to address them. This class is open to fighters of all skill levels.

Madu Fighting (20 people per class max)

With excellent offensive and defensive capabilities, the madu is the most balanced weapon in Amtgard. Those characteristics combined with its long strike range, and the ability to attack quickly from unexpected angles also makes it one of the deadliest. Learn the advantages that this unorthodox weapon style has over its more mundane counterparts. There will be two seperate classes offered. The first one will primarly focus on middle madu and the second section will be a broader class cover all styles of madu fighting. Both sections are open to all skill levels.

Footwork (20 people per class max)

If your opponent can’t hit you he can’t beat you. In the footwork class you will be taught beginning, intermediate and expert footwork tactics. One big difference between a good and a great fighter is the ability to take multiple opponents simultaneously. You will be taught how to overcome grossly outnumbered odds or just kill the guys who fight in your park. You will learn range, stance, body placement, maneuvering techniques and drills to improve your footwork and make you a better fighter.

Lefty Fighting (20 people per class max)

Left-handed fighters face an interesting set of challenges. Opponents are less used to them but there are often few trainers and role models. This class will cover the lefty perspective and how to excel in a world full of right-handed fighters. Topics will include battling other lefties as well. There are three different sections offered this year. One is a 101 Lefty class for those left handed fighters just starting out in Amtgard. Another is a general lefty class. The last is a lefty class that focuses on Sword and Board styles

Principles of Range (20 people per class max)

This class, designed for the intermediate/advanced student, will go over a number of the principles of range, including weapon choices, weapon matchups and shield interactions. From the basics of running up a pole, to how to overcome an opponent's length, there is something here for everyone. Especially useful for those who prefer longer weapons, principles of range will demonstrate how to overcome the innate speed and agility issues of longswords, and will talk about how to control range and personal space in tourney-style combat.

Polearms (20 people per class max)

The art of fighting with a pike, spear or naginata can be more delicate and artistic than most people can imagine. Most pole-arm fighters would tell you that the perfect place for a pole fighter is behind a shield man. They would be correct in most cases. However, to take your game beyond that of a crushing line fighter is a plateau most fighters can not summit. It takes a certain field presence combined with a precise control that very few fighters have mastered.

5 on 5 Team Fighting - Combining Your Strengths to Eliminate Weakness (20 people per class max)

Being feared as a unit is the dream of every new fighting company and kingdom. While individual achievement is always gratifying, team wins are the most legendary. We will share with you the secrets and fine points of fighting as a team that has led to an undefeated record together. We will cover line fighting and skirmishing. You will learn how to protect your team mate from attacks while he takes the opening you just gave him. We will teach you how to read the direction of your line and theirs. When you walk away from this class you will be able to know where your team mate is without even looking. All this and more awaits you. As individuals you can win battles as a unified unit, you can win the entire war.

Two Man Teams (20 people per class max)

2 man tactics. The class would focus on teamwork, field positioning and maneuvering for a fighter and his partner versus one, two, or more opponents. These tactics will vary based on weapon selections and are usable in tourneys, battle games, and ditches.

One on Many (20 people per class max)

"They think they are just going to roll you. Prove them wrong!
One against many. It is the classic heroic motif. In reality it is "fight for your life." Survival is the name of the game and the tricks are physical and mental. Come learn a few of them and maybe you will last a little longer--maybe you will survive, maybe you will strike fear into _their_ hearts next time "lay on" is called."

Spinning (20 people per class max)

The 512, DDS, Front-side, Back-side...these are all names of shots you may have heard. While these shots may not be high-percentage shots, they sure are pretty. Come to this class and you will learn all about spinning and how to make your game look good.

Counter-class (20 people per class max)

This class is all about florentine and sword and board and how best to fight the opposing style. The teachers will divide up the class and teach different methods of getting around each style. They will then come together and pit one style vs another exposing weaknesses in each.

Body Mechanics (20 people per class max)

Sir Clalibus will explain how the body works and show different ways to develop power from all parts of the body. He will cover stance, shots and much more. This class is open to all skill levels.

General Combat 101 (20 people per class max)

This class is going to cover a little bit of everything. It will quickly go over the major weapon combo's and disscuss their relative strengths and weakness vs. each other. The class will also feature footwork, controlling distance, teamwork, battlefield awareness, and increasing aggression. Finally, it will show how to successfully gang up on superior fighters.

This is an excellent class for students that want to improve their Ditch Battle/Battle Game effectiveness. This class is for 101 students.

Center Grip Shields (20 people per class max)

Center grip shields work just like strap shields but also entirely differently. If used correctly they provide almost every advantage of straps but also add whole new tools and tricks. These techniques work with center grip shields of all sizes from bucklers to maximum sized large shields. We will discuss shield coverage, fakes, and positioning. We will talk about how to cover those areas where a strap shield is better and how to take advantage of the things that only a center grip can do.

Fighting with a Partner (20 people per class max)

Theory and Practial Demonstrations on how to effectively fight with a partner. Students will coordianate fighting with a buddy vs one, two, four or more opponants. Most important factors are team mobility, spacing, weapon lengths, coordinating attacks, and adapting to the oppositions tactics. Students are encouraged to take the class with someone they regularly team with.

Large Person Fighting - (20 people per class max)

This course is not how to fight large men. It is, instead, a course in how to overcome the disadvantage of being a rather large target in a fast mans game. This course will takl about large man body mechanics. It will also cover the advantages of the larger frame. It will also discuss large man control (it is not about the strength, but the torque that matters).

Stabs and Feints - (20 people per class max)

Stabs: The proper technique and form for throwing a stab. Covers why to stab, when to stab, and finally how to stab. Useful for the beginner as well as the advanced student.

Feints: The art of controlling the fight. Covers the concepts behind feinting, how to control your opponent, and how to take advantage of that control.

Back to Basics/Drills (20 people per class max)

What this class will cover is a set of routines that you can do and practice to improve your fighting skills. It will cover drills, forearm training, hand matching, the all important grip, and last but not least left handed theory and technique. Not every one is blessed with equal use of both hands, but given time and training even simple techniques with your left hand give you a advantage over most players. So come, listen and learn what it takes to be one of the best.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby savetuba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:34 pm

I'd consider going if I knew the date and location.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:55 pm

savetuba wrote:I'd consider going if I knew the date and location.

According to the website, Tuesday, Janurary 22nd

Pretty short notice if they don't have a site. :)
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Arrakis » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Thomas, that's when that update was posted. Prereg isn't even open yet.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:32 pm

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10968 wrote:SKBC will be April 17 to 20, 2008 at Fireman's Park in Giddings, Texas. This is three weeks after Spring War and should be before the Triple Mid-reign for the three kingdoms in the area. Expect to see the SKBC website updated in the next few days. I will post here with an update when that happens.

Meals will be served Thursday night through Saturday night (7 total). UNlike previous SKBC sites, Fireman's park doesnt have cabins. We do have a full severice kitchen so meals will be excellent. Site fee will be $25.

We will be inviting Instructors and providing a list of expected instructors in mid December. A class schedule and pre-registration list will be posted in January 2008. We are adding some great new things this year including more Seminar style classes and some garunteed one on one time with at least one instructor for all students. Seeing as how this is in Texas, the instructor pool should be deep and impressive as well.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby savetuba » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:28 pm

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
savetuba wrote:I'd consider going if I knew the date and location.

According to the website, Tuesday, Janurary 22nd

Pretty short notice if they don't have a site. :)

Seeing how it is the 1st of feb (happy Chinese new year!) I don't think the 22nd of jan was the date.

4/17 - 4/20 in TX... That is too close to the fools raid in CA for me to attend :(
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

SKBC

Postby Wisp » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:06 pm

Forwarding this to the Bel Boards from the RW list regarding SKBC from MHOG.
Folks, if you wanna be at the BEST SKBC to date, this would be the one to hit. It's being held back home in TX in order to give the instructors who travel all over the country each year a break. If you can't hit this years, good news is, RW is putting in a bid for 2009. In case you don't know, RW is basically from St Louis West through Ohio East which I believe is prime Bel country.

---------------------------------------------------------
SKBC is coming soon. It is April 17 to 20, 2008 at Fireman's Park in
> > Giddings, Texas. This is three weeks after Spring War. Visit the
> > SKBC site for more info.
> >
> > Meals will be served Thursday night through Saturday night (7 total).
> > Unlike previous SKBC sites, Fireman's park doesnt have cabins. We do
> > have a full severice kitchen so meals will be excellent. Site fee
> > will be $25.
> >
> > The instructors for this year are confirmed and the schedule of
> > classes posted for pre-registration. We are adding some great new
> > things this year including more Seminar style classes and some
> > garunteed one on one time with at least one instructor for all
> > students. Becasue we are in Texas the instructor pool is the broadest
> > and deepest we have been able to present so far. Some of the most
> > popular classes are already nearly full do it is important to pre-
> > register now if you are planning on attending to get the classes you
> > want.
> >
> > SKBC 2008 website
> > http://skbc.naropa.edu/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Hammer of God
> > SKBC 2008 Instructor Lead
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby kree » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:43 pm

ehhhhh....idk... i would... but why study there when i can have borric and argoth teach me lol
kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Because it'd be like going to school with all the knights as your teachers. And they give you food so you don't even have to pack a lunch.
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby kree » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:06 pm

argoth bought me monicals once...but yeh that would be a good reason...
kree
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2007
Realm: In the cut In the cut
Unit: HH Barreler
Favorite Fighting Styles: Punch and Pie/Red Sword/Sword and Board

Postby Obie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Actually, I'm working driectly with a couple of other folks on the bid itself to get this out here in 09.

Being that Bel is so big out this direction, I may even try to get a couple of your Knights to join the instructor list, and see if we can make it even more of a cross-gaming event where everyone can learn (and be exposed to each others' fighting styles/techniques/etc).
Obie
Obie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Elwrath » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:51 pm

id totally go to this if it weren't at the same time as 2 bel events...which means i only get to go to one of the bel events....too bad i can't split myself in three.
Elwrath
Veteran
Veteran

Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: EBF

Postby Thorondor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Holy cow...I knew there was a reason I ended up in TX. It's like an hour and 15min from my place.

Guess I'll have to see if it fits into my schedule...
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:22 am

Obie wrote:Actually, I'm working driectly with a couple of other folks on the bid itself to get this out here in 09.

Being that Bel is so big out this direction, I may even try to get a couple of your Knights to join the instructor list, and see if we can make it even more of a cross-gaming event where everyone can learn (and be exposed to each others' fighting styles/techniques/etc).

You would totally make my heroes list forever if you did this.
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 am

Ironically, we were sort of jokingly talking about putting in a bid as Clan of the Hydra to see if a Bel bid could get it.

Then we just tossed around the idea of doing the same thing with Belegarth.

But this is even better. From what I've seen of these guys they sure seem like they'd be down with some cross foam fighting throw down.

Obie, have you guys thought about an event location yet?
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Obie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:40 am

http://www.genevahills.com is one site we were considering. But we're in the search for a site near Colombus right now.

If anyone has a site in mind that meets all of the criteria here:
http://skbc.naropa.edu/hosting/default.asp

Please share.

If you have a genuine interest in helping, and you're local to Colombus, or Cincinnati, and are willing to help us build this event (and actually be in charge of stuff...experience doing so recommended), please PM me.
Obie
Obie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am

OOooooh

I was hoping that by "here" you meant IL. Still much closer than Texas.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

SKBC

Postby Wisp » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 am

Trick is with SKBC, smaller classes the better. Brock and I put in a bad * bid that basically lost out because of the projected attendance we would be pulling was going to be way too much. I think they like to cap the classes at 20 students per instructor. With SKBC having gone all over the country, the Sword Knights are wanting a year off back in TX to recoup. Next year they will be back on the road and would be our best shot yet.

I think there is a serious interest in putting the event somewhere in Rising Winds territory (MO./IL/OH/KY) with the most likely spot being IL and OH. From an event organizers point of view, you'd think more is better but not so with SKBC. Rising Winds has it's events every three months at Brazil IN and they are typically around 250 to 300 in attendance. Toss in the rest of the Kingdoms numbers who would make serious effort to go to SKBC and you end up with nightmare numbers for the instructors. SKBC only uses our our best sword knights who are willing to travel long distances to teach the masses. That translates into as many as possible with with a very stringent filter.

Cross over instructors would be an awesome idea but I have no idea how the SKBC guys would pick the instructors. The integrity of the event is pretty important and having some douche who thinks they are the bomb getting up and teaching pure crap would be a crazy risk. I think Brennon is pretty familiar with most of the top end guys in Bel so he might be the guy to ask. I'll toss it up on E-SAM and see what the response would be.

There is no credible ranking system for fighters in Belegarth or Dagorhir. The guild system isn't up yet and it's too silly to give any weight to measured skill anyway. I would think that would have to be something to be addressed. Either that or just have everyone say, yeah, THIS guy is the ****. He's our top. Or something like that. Let's see what the interest is.
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Sir_Mel » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 pm

I think Kenny should be your first candidate as a cross over instructor. I would love to take a class on how to charge up my laser beam.[/list]
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Thanks a lot to Melennen and Ixis (sp?) for making the trip out to SKBC this year.

I think everybody had a fun and, most importantly, educational experience.

We had a lot of cameras rolling this year, and I know I taped all of my classes. Hopefully I should be able to get those up soon.

We look forward to next year and seeing more of you there.

Thanks,
Brennon
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Kenneth » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:07 pm

I was invited to be a guest instructor for this past SKBC. Unfortunately, I had to decline due to confidence and timing issues.

I suspect the upper ends of Amtgard and Belegarth can recognize each other fairly quickly. Once the first year or two got together to literally hammer each other out, it should be much easier from then on.

Then again, I spent last evening talking to Sir Spyn of Amtgard. Judging by my general feel of him, I don't think anybody besides him is qualified to teach all of SKBC. I am amused Amtgard seems to think the same way of him. ^_~.

"Spyn got his streaks in tourneys with several Sword Knights trying very hard to stop him. We were afraid his ego would block the sun and cause 'global cooling'." -Sir Shadow
--From the AmtWiki on Spyn.

Hope to see you all soon.
Last edited by Kenneth on Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kenneth
Thug
Thug

Postby savetuba » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:08 pm

Looking forward to the vids and possibly having the time off to make it next year.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:29 pm

You guys missed out big time. Good food, some chill people, lots of fighting (long into the night), and an overall great event. I definitely suggest attending this one.
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:51 pm

Kenneth wrote:I was invited to be a guest instructor for this past SKBC. Unfortunately, I had to decline due to confidence and timing issues.

I wouldn't have put your name forward if I didn't have confidence in you. Besides, your material is better than a lot of our first year instructors.

Then again, I spent last evening talking to Sir Spyn of Amtgard. Judging by my general feel of him, I don't think anybody besides him is qualified to teach all of SKBC. I am amused Amtgard seems to think the same way of him. ^_~.

Spyn's abilities are surpassed only by his ego, which I'm sure he'll be the first to admit. Of the top fighters in Amtgard Lief is the nice one, Spyn is the loud one, and I'm the mean one.

Joking aside, Spyn has really pioneered some teaching and fighting techniques that Amtgard as a whole benefits from. Doesn't mean he isn't full of hot air from time to time ;)
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 am

Lookin' forward to catchin' the vids on YouTube again!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Oisin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:45 am

If RW has it this year, I am soooo in.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Brennon EH » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:17 pm

There is nothing stopping you guys from putting a bid in yourselves.

http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13100
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:50 pm

Arrakis wrote:Lookin' forward to catchin' the vids on YouTube again!

Ditto. The details of the rules may change, but body mechanics, tactics, etc are pretty universal. Quality varies, but I've gotten alot from many previous videos.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Big King Jimmy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I don't know about 2009. We have a brand new park coming owned by a fighter, which will be the premier event location, but I don't think using it in a bid would be a good idea till we've actually been there for an event.

Belegarth gets SKBC in 2010!

No really, imagine this: Combine SKBC and 'Geddon.

Best
Event
Ever
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Re: SKBC 2008...

Postby Obie » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Don't mean to bump an old thread, but it looks like our bid has been tentatively accepted to be about an hour southeast of Columbus, Ohio sometime next year, late april/early may.

More details to come on their own post when we get things more ironed out.
Obie
Obie
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training