Javelin Practice

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What weapons style do you use most with a javelin?

Sword and Board
85%
Red
3%
Glaive or Spear
No votes
Flourintine
5%
Other
8%

Total votes : 40

Javelin Practice

Postby Numzo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:23 pm

I need to get better at throwing javelins. I want to know some effective ways of doing this.
Numzo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: My Boomstick!

Postby Physic » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm

Probably the best way is just to play catch with a buddy. When you throw it at him aim for the center of his chest. Its good practice for both of you.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:44 am

I agree with Physic. It also helps you learn to dodge and catch, which is going to be important in combat moments after you throw your javelin when someone throws it back at you.

The biggest challenge for a novice thrower is to throw the javeling without making it spin in the air and hit with the haft. It's always helped me to think of it as a really big dart.

A little trick that can help is using a wrist flick to throw your jav underhand at close range. Often you can take out your opponents leg and get away, or slow him up just enough to switch to your primary weapon.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby savetuba » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Rowan wrote:A little trick that can help is using a wrist flick to throw your jav underhand at close range. Often you can take out your opponents leg and get away, or slow him up just enough to switch to your primary weapon.

The dreaded pump and thrust. hold the jav close to the pommel, pointed down. pump it up and thrust/throw.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby slippy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:03 am

Physic wrote:Probably the best way is just to play catch with a buddy. When you throw it at him aim for the center of his chest. Its good practice for both of you.

i learned using catch. best method of learning i have found.
i say just experament and have fun it will help you know the most fun and the most effeciant use of a javaline. mash things up a bit.

me and my brother like to have jav and sheild fights no sword just jav and sheild (sometimes not even a sheild).
do not hate those who kill you or feel less of those who you kill.
feeling proud is not as important as having friends around you.
the farther you fly the more fun you're haveing.
slippy
Toadie
Toadie

Postby savetuba » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:04 pm

another good way to train is to have a free for all with single javs. 8-9 people all learning how to use a jav in other ways than throwing it.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Numzo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks
Numzo
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: My Boomstick!

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:20 pm

It also helps to practice throwing without making eye contact with the target. Face one guy, throw a javelin at somebody facing somebody else.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training