Fighting over 40

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Fighting over 40

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:44 pm

[url=http://www.thearma.org/essays/Fencing_Over_40.htm]ARMA Editorial - Dec 2006
Historical Fencing Over 40[/url]

"never leave studying and practicing till you come to the ground
and until you have sounded into the depth of your Art"

– Master Joseph Swetnam, 1617

By John Clements
ARMA Director

I encounter a great deal of first time students of historical fencing over the age of 40. They want to become involved in practicing this craft, and are typically eager to learn about Renaissance martial arts, but often become slightly discouraged at the physical challenge involved, and the historically youthful nature of armed combat itself, not to mention the vigorous approach the ARMA promotes and the standards we try to maintain. The first thing I tell them is that learning is a continual process, and with maturity comes greater appreciation of that process.

At the same time, over time people often accumulate a plethora of physical habits and movement patterns that must be overcome if they are to legitimately develop real skill. While being able to jump and bounce around with adolescent energy is certainly a benefit, the mental aspects of this martial discipline are the same for everyone. Indeed, these arguably count for more than does the affects of any natural physical decline comparative to when an older student was 20 years old. As the master Vadi wrote in the 1480s, “Cunning defeats any strength.”

More importantly, I like to remind mature students of the wisdom of the English Master, Joseph Swetnam, from his 1617 fencing treatise, the Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence, covering the backsword, staff, and rapier. Swetnam advised: “a little skill is a great help at a time of need, which if thou hast not obtained in thy youth, then be not ashamed to learn when thou art old.” Swetnam added further: “Many a man will say, That skill in weapons is good, and one of the principallest things that belongeth to a man, yet themselves altogether unskillful; in their youth they think it too soon to learn, and in age too late, yet when they are wronged, they would give any thing, that they were able to answer their enemy without fear or hurt, as he which is skilful in his weapon may doe.”

Finally, he recommended one should, "never leave studying and practising till you come to the ground, and until you have sounded into the depth of your Art.” His wisdom rings again today. It reminds us that such a view was nothing new in Western martial culture. Rephrasing the Roman Sallust by way of Vegetius, he chivalric-minded Christine de Pisan wrote in 1410: “It is better, that young men should be excused for not having entirely mastered the martial art than that they should be reproached in old age for never having known it." So true.

"Be not wise in thine own conceit, in thinking that thou hast learned all the skill which is to be learned already, farre deceived are thou if thou thinks so, for if thou live (til) thou art olde, yet thou mayest learne still."
- Master Joseph Swetnam, 1617
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed May 21, 2008 9:12 am

So true, my father started learning Kenpo Karate at the age of about 50 and is now a 3rd deg. black belt. There is always time to learn....no matter your age.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby bo1 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:48 am

age and trechery will out perform youth and enthusiasm.

i see many very fast young fighters. usually that don't learn skill until they start to pleateu. then they look for some skill to go with that speed.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Peregrine » Wed May 21, 2008 10:03 am

I started Belegarth at 38 I am now 42. I have found, that my body can not do everything my mind thinks can.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Sleeper » Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I started when I was 21, now I am 24 and my body feels like shyt. Redswording is hell on joints.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Vitus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:26 am

How much armour are you wearing?
Sean A. Garrison
--------------------
Known in the Current Middle Ages as Sir Vitus von Atzinger, knight of the SCA and tenan of the Great House Stahlgeist.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Mercer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:00 pm

Sleeper wears virtually no armor, generally.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Judas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:03 pm

Sleeper wrote:I started when I was 21, now I am 24 and my body feels like shyt. Redswording is hell on joints.

STRETCH!!!
Before and after you fight.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Dacian » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 am

Judas wrote:
Sleeper wrote:I started when I was 21, now I am 24 and my body feels like shyt. Redswording is hell on joints.

STRETCH!!!
Before and after you fight.

Hell, I'm 23 and I'm already learning that. lol

Pretty soon I'm gonna have to start padding a walker. * kids.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Re: Fighting over 40

Postby bangor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:00 pm

When I was in the military, we talked a great deal about physical fitness. It was shown that folks who had exercised vigorously were fastest in their 40's. You can achieve this level of fitness at any time before 50-60, but it takes a great deal of hard work, harder work than the casual historical fighter is usually willing or able to put forth.

And I'll second that notion on stretching!
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training