Targeting Pell

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Targeting Pell

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:43 am

Take a post and attach little 4" long dowels to it like so:

\||/
\||/
\||/

Has anybody used anything like this?

See http://www.midrealm.org/kith/kith/Targeting1.wmv at 23:25 for how it is used.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:59 am

12:40 - 14:10 is a pretty unique drill too ... definately boring, but I would be willing to bet effective over time.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:45 am

I'm planning on building a pell this summer. I was going to build a cross shaped one though, so I could get more of a shoulder effect. Maybe build a round onto it... I do have a spare failed round around here. I've got the sword picked out already too, a failed double core I'm not interested in anymore.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 am

When I saw that video, I was really surprised. I'm used to pells being thick trees or 4x4 posts, not a collection of little sticks, but it makes sence when you see how he uses it.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby tvetree » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

Another nice Pell is stuff a duffel bag and hang it from the rafters of your garage/shed.

I use to have 4 landscape timbers standing in formation in the back yard so I could work on hitting people in a line not in front of me.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:23 am

around 9:00 he makes the comment that "I can get people to take shots that you can't get." (paraphrased)

While I see where he's coming from, this shouldn't be true. Just because you're a vet doesn't mean anybody should take your hits more.

There are some really good things in the vid about different opponents.

Good find Thomas.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:00 am

I believe he is talking about his ability to customise his shot placement to the target, not his status.

For example, when he faces the female fighter, he comments that there are tape marks on the side of her helmet from where she moves her head to turn what might have been a solid hoizontal shot into a glancing shot but that the top of her helmet was clean. He then threw a vertical pump snap to the top of her helmet which she called good even though it glanced off because a) it hit her from a different angle than she was used to and b) it came at her across her vision and the shot looked good to her eyes from her viewpoint.
Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby HesinRaca » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:13 pm

I have a 360lb ground weight bag that I made a canvas cover for and use for target practice...*shrug*.
And is there another copy of the video, it won't dl...
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby tvetree » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:54 pm

It should open in your windows media player.Or at least it does in mine.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby Vitus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:11 pm

My pel is a wooden cross made of heavy timbers that hangs from a tree limb. The rope and pel are connected by a heavy steel spring, so the pel actually bounces and moves around like a person.
I use both steel and rattan swords on it.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training