Newbie Training Guides.

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Newbie Training Guides.

Postby Hatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Hey; I have been asked by a new fighter for something along the lines of "Belegarth fighting: For Dummies" me having learned to be competent through the school of Hard knocks [BAM and Aegis totally destroying me until I figured out otherwise.] I am at a loss for resources.

So I was wondering if there was a sort of compendium of rudimentary skills in single blue, sword and board, and Florentine. Any help would be appreciated.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Oisin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

They weren't made by or for Belegarth, but the SKBC videos have some great material that can be applied to our fighting as well. Go to YouTube and search SKBC . . . the sword and board tutorial is really good, as is the one on body mechanics. They might be a bit more advanced, though, they're not really designed for complete noobs.

SKBC = Sword knight boot camp, an Amtgard training event run by some of their most experienced fighters, many of whom also fight in other combat sports, including SCA and Bel/Dag.

One thing I will tell you is that most Amtgarders have a level of technical proficiency far above the standard seen on either Belegarth or Dagorhir fields, and they have a lot that we can learn from, even if it does have to be adapted to heavier (and generally more awkward) weapons. Hell, the reason Aegis is so good is that he played touch larps for what, like 11 years, and then was able to transfer all of the technical ability and speed he learned in those games to ours.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Hatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 pm

They weren't made by or for Belegarth, but the SKBC videos have some great material that can be applied to our fighting as well.

I flipped through them a lil bit thanks. Upon flipping through a few of them I notice they have Madu... Whats the safety/playability reason against them here?

Hell, the reason Aegis is so good is that he played touch larps for what, like 11 years, and then was able to transfer all of the technical ability and speed he learned in those games to ours.

I just assume Aegis was some sorta larp fighting robot from the future.[/i]
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Hatchet Warrior wrote:I flipped through them a lil bit thanks. Upon flipping through a few of them I notice they have Madu... Whats the safety/playability reason against them here?

Just a couple of reasons I can think of...Since we can break shields, a piece of equipment either needs to be a weapon or a shield, not both. You can break shields but not weapons. It also factors into playability since shields stop arrows but weapons do not. If you'd like to use a similar style to a madu in Belegarth, you can use a stabbing sword with the point downward in the same hand as your shield. You could also use a javelin but it's harder to block with because of flex.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Hatchet » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:55 pm

If you'd like to use a similar style to a madu in Belegarth,

I wouldn't, Just curious and the novelty of it.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Training CDs

Postby Bhakdar » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:59 am

I have sold training CD's since Armageddon last season when Bhakdar's Academy traveled to instruct upcoming groups. They cost $20 are are a comprehensive guide for new fighters. The CD includes graphics, text, and video documents. Some free sneak peaks are on google video:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=b ... itesearch=

You may have to turn your speakers up and listen closely for the net freebie. Buying the CD has the advantage of better sound and video quality on all the tutorials. I'm proud to say that over 30 editions of the CD have been distributed. I could afford to fly to Oktoberfest if I sold that many this year.

Bhakdar's Beginner Basics training CD features:

A fireside chat about my vision for the Academy (video)
Basic 5: General principles of Grip/Offence, Stance/Defence, Footwork (vid & txt)
Basics of Single Sword, Sword/Board, Florentine, and Spinning (vid)
Battlemind I (txt)
Group Fighting I (txt)
My resume (txt)
My business card (txt/graphic)
Academy & training seminar info (txt)

Realm Builder Content
- Xipher's Complete Belegarth Manual (txt/graphic)
- Open Waiver Formats (txt)
- Construction Guides (txt/graphic)
- Melee Rules (vid)
- Melee & Missile Weapon Checking (vid)

All that said, there are many free text guides around on the internet for various combat organizations, historical manuals, and martial arts. I feel that video is the next best thing to getting training in person at this point. Someday perhaps we could have interactive DVD training.
cat·a·lyst /ˈkætlɪst/ –noun
1. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change
2. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
Bhakdar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2001
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword/Board, Single

Postby Brennon EH » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:41 pm

Don't you think it's a little silly to be trying to make money on this stuff? I mean, it's not like the distribution method costs a ton of money. Youtube is free, after all, and websites are a pittance. Hell, I'm betting the Belegarth web admins would pony up some space for useful information like that.

It seems like money is a small concern compared to furthering the combat arts.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Hatchet » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:33 pm

It seems like money is a small concern compared to furthering the combat arts.

*Shrug* If he wants to charge money for his expertise then he very well can. America was built on entrepreneurs.

To be fair he owns a monopoly on the Bel side of instructional videos as far as I know [two days of flipping through Youtube yielded SKBC videos, Iron Mountain training videos, His Demo video, and a few SCA videos. some of the SKBC and Iron mountain videos have poor sound quality anyway not that it's their fault.]

on topic : Now I am looking for anything on Florentine fighting [texts are ok but; videos would be better]
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

yo

Postby Spyn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:38 pm

Myself and Shadow one of the other SKBC instructors are currently working on a basics class video and a drills video.... both based on the classes we teach each year at skbc.

If those turn out well we will start my two sword video. Curently have write ups on it all. It just takes a while to film and edit it all down.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Kyrian » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:50 am

Here's a six-session basic training outline with training notes:

http://kyrian.backpackit.com/pub/1236454

I'm going to try and update it some time this week.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Hatchet » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:33 pm

That is exactly what I want. Thanks Kyrian.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training