Spear fighting resources

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Spear fighting resources

Postby savetuba » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:55 pm

savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Sir_Mel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:12 pm

Savetuba, you just got some pretty big cool points for this. Very good stuff.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Vitus » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:27 pm

SCA Spear Fighting
By Pellinor of Shadowed Stars

The spearman can at times look like the most glorious of killers in a melee. He is highly visible and can rack up a lot of kills. New fighters may say, “I want to do that. Look at all the people he killed.” What they do not know is that almost anyone can learn to be safe and authorize with a spear but it takes a lot more work to be a really good spearman.
This article will be about my own spear fighting views and techniques. What is written here is by no means all there is to know about spear fighting. Remember, these are guidelines; there are always contradictions to the rules when the fight is on. Like all other weapon styles, try new things. If it works for you, use it. If not, there is no harm in trying.
I have been lucky enough to be able learn from two of the best spearmen out there, Sir Gerwulf af Dokktungle and Duke Sir Brannos O'Irongardail, among other great spearmen. To learn how to use a spear well in melee you have to fight with spear in melee. Over the last five years I have been able to fight spear year round. Our indoor practice site is large and we get a good turnout of fighters to enable some very good melees. In this practice setting we can discuss what is working and what is not. We can try tactics and methods that we wouldn’t have time to study in an event setting.
Most fighters only use spear during the summer at events. I believe this is due to lack of available large practice sites and having enough fighters for a good melee workout.

Armor
In general, any armor that allows unrestricted movement will work. I prefer light flexible armor. If I am able to move and twist in any direction then I will have an easier time avoiding or glancing a blow that would have otherwise hit me. I like an open face helm for greater visibility. Wear sturdy gauntlets. No hockey gloves. Your hands are going to get hit so want good hand protection. Inspect your gauntlets for good repair at the end of the day. It’s no fun having fingers sticking out when you could have fixed it the night before. Be sure to have good armor for your torso also. The body is the highest percentage target so it is where you will be hit the most by other spears.

Weapons
In the Middle Kingdom we are allowed up to twelve-foot spears. I would suggest using a nine-foot spear vs. longer spears. Practicing and fighting with a spear longer than nine feet will throw off your targeting when fighting with the shorter spear at events that have a nine-foot maximum spear length, such as Pennsic. The longer spears also add weight requiring more control to keep them from hitting too hard. The heavier spear will also wear out a person faster.
I like a lighter weight tip. It helps with speed and control. More speed allows quicker attacks on openings that show briefly. Better control gives the opportunity to hit the smallest of openings.
The pipe cap on the head end of the spear is required. I also like to add one to the butt end for something to hang on to at full extension. Add some type of grip tape to the butt end and you are all set.
I do not use a hook on my spear. I am a smaller fighter and if I have an aggressive hook then larger stronger fighters may pull me around. With a small hook I still have to be working with another spear. I have found that when teaming with another spear I can work just as well without the hook.
Every spearman should have a backup weapon. It doesn’t matter what type but it should be able to be employed almost instantly. This takes practice and trial and error until the right weapon and holding method is found for the individual. I personally like a dangle mace that is attached to my wrist in such a way that when I drop my arm straight down the mace naturally drops into my grip. Swing the arm up from behind my back and the opponent rarely sees it coming. Short swords or daggers work well also. Scabbards can be attached to belly, back or hip.
The important concept to remember is having a secondary weapon that is easy to draw without taking your eyes off of your opponent.

Stance
What the spearman wants in a stance is a good center of gravity and balance. If I am able to keep my center of gravity balanced I am then able to twist or move if an opposing spear is trying to hit me even when I am throwing a shot. Good balance also allows for quicker recovery and second shot. Feet should be about shoulder width apart with the knees slightly bent. Keep your back straight even when throwing a shot. This will shorten your range some. The trade off is that you will have better balance and live longer. Your opponent will not know your true maximum range. Then use the long leaning shot to catch your opponent off guard.
There are several ways to hold a spear. High guard, low guard, right hand back, left hand back are some of the common descriptions for spear stance. Left or right hand indicates which hand is at the butt of the spear. In high guard the spear is held above the head. Both hands are above the head with palms face away from the body. I use the high guard to reach over the top of a shield wall or during a press. In low guard the spear is held about mid body. The hand on the butt of the spear is placed palm facing in and the front hand about shoulder width forward palm facing up. I use low guard when in a shield wall or in the open field. In general I will use low guard left hand back. Fighting left hand back allows me the angle into the open side of a right hand shield man’s body. In a shield wall left hand is easier to use on the left end just as right hand is better used from the right end of the line. When fighting against a right-handed spear my spear is between my opponent’s spear and my body giving me a better defense.
A good spearman will be able to use a variety of guards and be able to use right or left hand back. As opportunities surface you must adapt and use the correct tool for the job, so be flexible.

Offense
I use the pool cue method of throwing a shot. The rear hand pushes and the spear slides through the forehand. The forehand guides the spear to the target. I start by rocking forward slightly then rotating the hips and throw. Rocking forward starts the motion and will give a little extra reach. Rotating the hips puts body momentum into the shot. It is quicker to target and gives a nice pop to the body. Throw your shot quickly and recover quickly so that you can defend yourself or throw another shot.
The two-hand thrust can also be used. Neither hand slides just push forward with both hands. This method is good for a short thrust that you need to put some body weight into the shot. Be careful when throwing a longer shot with two hands. The spear will tend to drift up at the end of the shot. Then an intended body shot could hit the neck or face.
The face and body will be the main targets. Legs are harder to land a solid shot. The curved surfaces and movement tend to make a spear glance off.
A spearman needs to develop “battlefield awareness”. Battlefield awareness is being able to know what is going on all around you. A lot of fighters in a melee will get focused on the man in front of them and may forget about the reach of a spear two bodies down the line. If the spearman expands his awareness he can take advantage of this. Work at being able to see four, five or even six fighters at a time in the opposing line and be able recognize when openings occur on any of them. With the wider field of view you will also be able recognize what your own team members are doing and be able to capitalize on their efforts.

Defense
The best defense for a spearman is a shield wall. Lacking that here are a few things to try.
If facing a spear, block his shots with just enough movement to make him miss. You will have a shorter distance to recover and keeps your own weapon in line for a return stroke. If you can keep your spear in a tighter circle than your opponent and still defend yourself then you will be able control the fight.
If recoiling from a shot and spears/poles are attacking, bring your rear hand up to the top of the head and let the spear tip rest on the ground ahead of you. Move the butt of the spear to either side of the head to block strikes. This technique works well for getting back into a line in a short distance.
When caught in the open field facing a lone fighter the best thing to do is run. Find friends and form up with them.
If you have a backup weapon try this. Take a quick shot with the spear. If you miss shift the spear upright in your left hand so that it is a skinny shield. With your backup weapon in hand, step into their charge and to the right. Throw a rap to the back or legs. Usually they will raise the shield so the legs open up. Stepping into the charge disrupts the opponents timing. Many fighters do not check to see if the man they are running down has a back up weapon. So many are surprised when they get hit.

Communication
A good spearman can stand in any line and be deadly. To be truly devastating the spearman should be an integral part of a melee unit, working with the pole support, the shield wall and other spears. It takes good communication for all of these people to work together well.
In a line I stand between two shields with the shields about 18”-24” apart. Open enough for me to work between them but close enough that they can still defend each other and me when needed. I talk to the shield men to let them know what I am doing and what I need them to do. They talk to me, pointing out openings, telling me when they can’t defend me and giving warnings of threats. Talk to the spears and poles in the line with you to set up shots for them or you. Warnings of an impending column charge goes to everyone.
Another form of communication, one that is harder for the other side to pick up on, is non-verbal. The dip of a spear tip, a slight nod, a certain look, these can tell your teammate what you intend to do without tipping off your opponent. This is a form of communication that only comes with continuous fighting with the same group of people over and aver again.

Limited Front Battle
At the beginning of a limited front battle such as a bridge allow the shields and poles to establish a stable skirmish line. As soon as the line settles replace a poleman in the line. When stepping into the line try to line up diagonally from an opposing spear. Line up spear, shield, spear with the shield directly in front of the opposing spear. This causes the opposing spear to watch a wider field of view and gives the spear partners a better chance of a shot opening. This works even better when your shield man can menace the opposing spear to get his attention. Watch for cross shots. Usually the angles offer better shot openings.
Have a pole man behind and to one side of you. When the opposing side charges raise your spear straight up and rotate places with the pole man. With the spear up there is less chance of someone tripping on it or getting it trapped. Pull out your back up weapon in the event that an opponent comes squirting through the line. Remember to give the poles room to work. Just like the spears, polemen need room behind them also.
When the press of the charge has passed move back into the line and back to work.

Open field
When your line is advancing into a field battle the spearman should stand behind the shield wall with the wall 3/4 of the distance up the spear. Take a position far enough in from either end of the line so that a flank attack cannot kill you quickly. At the first clash you will be back far enough that you will not get caught in a crush. Any closer and you will be backing up trying to keep your spear from getting trapped. At the ¾ spear distance the tip of the spear will be in the right place to take advantage of any openings the shield wall creates for you. When the press of first contact fades move into a space in the line and work from there.
During the field battle is when a spearman has to be the most alert. At any time a line could fold or the unit could be flanked. Do not get caught on the end of the line or in a crush. You will either be run down or not have enough room to be effective.

I hope that new spearmen will be able to take this information and start a little farther ahead in the game than I did when I started fighting spear. I have touched on several aspects of this weapon style. There is more to learn that is easier to demonstrate than to write. So, go out, watch the better spear fighters and ask the questions “How did you…?” “Why did you…?”. More than likely they won’t mind talking about it and you will learn something. That is how I did it.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Davit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 pm

If you find a wonderful resource like that, your time would better be spent putting a link to where you got it from, that way it is easier to find out more about the person/org that put it up.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Enoch » Wed May 07, 2008 3:41 pm

I didn't want to post this until I'd been to enough practices this season to confirm that it made a major difference, so, here's my accuracy training regimen from over the winter.

Ingredients:
Three tennis balls
Three lengths of string (different lengths)
Ample supply of beer

1. Drill holes in the balls, tie the string through them, hang them at different heights from a branch (I used the rafters in my basement).
2. From your normal stance (right or left hand back) stab each ball.
While they're in motion swinging around, stab each one again.
Then, do it all again using the reverse of your regular stance.
3. Have a beer.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 until you've enjoyed enough of your booze to not be able to get the ones in motion.

A cheap (depending on the quality of beer) and easy way to work on one of the very few skills you can practice without a partner.
M.F. Enoch & Co.
Enoch
Brute
Brute

Re: Spear fighting resources

Postby The Great Gigsby » Wed May 07, 2008 4:47 pm

savetuba wrote:http://www.springtimesong.com/wcforms5Spear.htm

Wing Chun is an amazing martial art if you can find a seifu to teach it. It's one of the only mainstream martial arts (that I'm aware of) that applies almost directly to what we do, though it takes a few years before you get to play with knives and spears. It's very Bruce Lee; lots of moving like water, but extremely practical.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training