Sword n Board V.S. Reds

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword n Board V.S. Reds

Postby Zazie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:52 pm

I'm a fairly new fighter (been at it for about six collective months) and I'm doing fairly well enough by my own standards, I fight with sword 'n' board and I find myself consistently troubled when fighting Red wielders. Any advice?
Better to die on our feet than to live on our knees.
Zazie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Spike » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:54 pm

Run in on em so hard that they don't have a chance to pull off that second swing.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Zazie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:07 pm

I always try to, and it goes one of two ways, either I bash 'em and get a hit, or they swing fast enough and the red swing comes at me, the latter is where I get the trouble. I'm a small guy, and I can move faster than most of the people at my practices, but I'm at a loss as to how best to react to a red swing coming at me.
Zazie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:13 pm

Don't give it a chance to start coming in at you. When you approach them, before you get in their range for their first shot, charge them. They'll put one shot on your shield, you'll pwn them, end of story.

Unless they're really skilled, in which case they'll fake the shieldside shot and throw an arm-hunter/leg-hunter. But that's rare.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Dane » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:30 pm

Experience will teach you when the red user is actually committing to a shot. When you can sense that the shot is legit, close the distance as quickly as possible. Throw repeated shots to the arm and hip.

Watch the opponent's sword as you move in; this will enable you to more effectively react to a feint. Make the block with your shield and swing away. Fast feet and a fast shield will usually give you the victory against a red user, and you'll usually only take one solid, shield-breaking hit to your shield on the way.

Soth's the only red user I've encountered that got off the shots necessary to bust my shield in the short instant where I come from outside of fighting range to the tie-up (and he's exceptional), but even then, if you're raining the shots in, you should earn the kill despite the loss of your shield.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:22 pm

If the red sword fighters in your area are skilled, one of the best things you can do is ask them to teach you red sword. Not just sparring red against red, but asking questions like "what do you do when people try to close in on you" while holding a red sword in your own hands.

After only a few lessons (if the person teaching you is interested in teaching instead of just beating on you), you should get a feel for what a red sword can and cannot do.

I can start thowing out my biases here (like my belief that a 4 ft red sword is both faster and has less range than a 3 ft blue sword in the hands of a shieldman) but rather than fill your head with minor details, pick up a red sword and learn for yourself how to both block and attack with a red sword at the same time (almost impossible), why newbies tend to start combinations against red swords by attacking the sword instead of the guy holding it (and why that doesn't work). You may not become a great red sword fighter, but you will gain a real appreciation for what is easy and what is hard and will probibly get some great ideas on how to kill the guy who next picks one up.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Zazie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:31 pm

I've been digesting all that has been shared here, and I think I've identified an underlying problem in myself specifically; I hesitate. I always run up to a red user and I wait for an opportune moment rather than just hit them. How might I speed the process of correcting this?

Obviously I'm gonna keep fighting reds as often as possible but beyond that, in general, is there a good method for correcting hesitation?
Zazie
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Time. I don't know you specifically, but I know a lot of your group has not been fighting that long. There's no drill, that I know of. It's just something you have to get used to.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 am

Just remind yourself that he can't block while swinging, but you can.

If he starts to wind up to swing at any obvious location (like the center of your shield), he cannot block until after that blow connects. Don't block then attack - he can do that faster than you can. Throw up your shield against the blow you know is coming and kill him while - or even before - his blow lands on your shield.

That is the real reason red sword fighters run back so much - they get in positions where they cannot block and backing out of range is the only defense they have.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007

Postby Arrakis » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:52 am

Get a stabbing tip. A single-point attack on a red-wielder is often their doom anyway, but when you're charging and they throw a shot, then jerk their sword to one side to block the side shot, it's sooo easy to just stab 'em in the chest.

Ask Sleeper!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Keltheril » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 am

I've noticed arm-hunting reds doesn't work too badly either. Set yourself up so that when they pound into your shield you can snap out and get one of their arms. Then they have an awkwardly large sword being used in one hand that can't break shields. You have to be quick or they may block the shot with the sword (finesse reds do it more often). Still doesn't beat the charge and beatdown, but it's nice in line fighting.
Keltheril
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 1-2107
Realm: Rath
Unit: Chaos Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and shield

Postby bo1 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:51 am

when fighting a red it is really all about initiative. if you have it you win, if they have it they win. the styles clash so wonderfully, most people just charge and an experience red user will circle out, making your life hell in the process. also reds lack defence, so try to keep them distracted with multiple opponents. that is a reds greatest liability is mutiple people trying to hit them, it is only one weapon it can only do so much.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Brennon EH » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:55 am

Killing heavy/range weapons is all about footwork. You need to be able to understand and manage their range, and then close distance swiftly when the time is right. Try standing at their maximum range and stutter-stepping just into their 'sweet spot' range. Once they throw quickly shift back out and rush in as they swing or stab past. Those blades tend to have a long recoil time, and that's to your great advantage. As you're stepping in you want to push towards their weapon, not around around it. Your goal is to keep control of their weapon with your sword or shield on the shaft of their weapon and utilize continuos pressure against it. This works because people are mentally conditioned to resist an opponents movement rather than continue in the direction of force. This means they will essentially focus on pushing on your sword rather than trying to do anything useful (like hit you). Once you get up on them life should be simple. The important thing to get down is how to control them through the manipulation of their range.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:46 am

Get a partner or two or three. Rush the red from at least two angles seperate by not more than 130 degrees. Rinse, repeat.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Sleeper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 pm

Arrakis wrote:Get a stabbing tip. A single-point attack on a red-wielder is often their doom anyway, but when you're charging and they throw a shot, then jerk their sword to one side to block the side shot, it's sooo easy to just stab 'em in the chest.

Ask Sleeper!

Very true. The only way to defeat a redsworder is by charging. Gavin will actually push my red around with his shield, opening my blocks to attack. But I gotta plan to combat both of ya. HAHA!
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:46 pm

I have found recently that an 'in & out' move (or 'burger') is very effective against red swords. Essentially, you start by standing just outside of the red-wielder's range--your opponent will not close with you, because that means death. Then, you quickly move in and present your shield as a target, but just when your opponent starts swinging, use your back leg to quickly jump out of range. When your opponent reachers the bottom of the swing, move in again quickly; your opponent will not be able to generate enough force with the sword to damage your shield, and you can press it in to limit the available attacks. Just go for whichever target is best; I would recommend a wrap to the back or an arm.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Sleeper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:57 pm

The helicopter swing can combat this tactic quite well. Alot of people pull this on me almost every practice.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Brennon EH » Sun May 04, 2008 10:48 pm

I put together a 15 minute video on different types of closing, including closing for sword and board against large swords. It is still uploading right now, but should finish and be available within a couple of hours.

It's the videos titled 'Closing Part 1-3'. The great sword stuff is in the last section of the first part.

http://www.youtube.com/Brennoneh
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Bortas » Mon May 05, 2008 10:00 am

More good info... just a comment though: the brightly colored sword you used in the SKBC videos in another thread looked silly, but it stood out well on video, making it more useful training wise. The dark sword(s) you are using in this one completely blend into the background/garb, making it more difficult to spot exactly what you are doing.

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Postby Brennon EH » Mon May 05, 2008 11:33 am

Good point, thanks.

I'm thinking I need some light-colored sword covers and garb for filming. Maybe yellow and white, or something.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dacian » Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm

When I fight Red Fighters, I try to always use their confidence to break my shield as their downfall.

Ever watch newbies go out and hold their shield 600 ft. away from their body? Well, I've noticed Red fighters love that. Many see it as an oppurtunity to completely knock the shield out of your hands because you have little control when it's far from your body. I've seen plenty of times they exagerate their swing to knock it from you.

All you do is hold your shield far from you. When they swing, bring your shield in close to your body and start the charge. This way you still have two shots on your shield left and you've already started the charge. Even if they back swing on you, it's only one hit...they should be dead by then.
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby Hatchet » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 pm

When I fight Red Fighters, I try to always use their confidence to break my shield as their downfall.

We [or at least I] don't have confidence in the ability to be able to break your shield in one fell swoop. Limb hunting is safer,easier, and no one expects the guy with the red sword to be looking at anything that isn't their shield.

Otherwise the advice is good don't let the first swing hit you and run for all your worth at the guy.[/i]
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Nakamoto Amuro » Mon May 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Hatchet Warrior wrote:We [or at least I] don't have confidence in the ability to be able to break your shield in one fell swoop. Limb hunting is safer,easier, and no one expects the guy with the red sword to be looking at anything that isn't their shield.

Otherwise the advice is good don't let the first swing hit you and run for all your worth at the guy.[/i]

I concur. A good red-wielder won't just be looking out for shields to crush. It's great that we have that ability but our main advantage is range and leverage, so never assume that a redder will go straight for it. Gain plenty of experience, my friend. I've held off and lorded over 2 sword-and-boarders at a time with a single red on a few occasions, but mostly because experience was on my side and not on theirs. Not only were they fairly new, but they were too afraid to press their clear advantage. They second guessed a lot and faltered when they should have advanced and both ended up legged and left behind.
Knowing thyself and knowing thy enemy, in 100 battles no danger. Knowing thyself but not knowing thy enemy, one defeat for every victory. Not knowing thyself and not knowing thy enemy, in every battle certain death.

Daimyo of the Nakamoto Clan of Dun Abhon
House of the Black Lotus
Nakamoto Amuro
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: House of the Black Lotus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wuxia

Postby Hatchet » Mon May 05, 2008 3:22 pm

main advantage is range and leverage

Secondary advantage is psychological intimidation against newer people and people without shields.

As he said Hesitation = Death so don't do it.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Bortas » Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 pm

Brennon EH wrote:Good point, thanks.

I'm thinking I need some light-colored sword covers and garb for filming. Maybe yellow and white, or something.
/veto

Dark garb, light weapons, or dark weapons light garb, but not both, and preferably the first! :)

-bort
ImageImageImage
Bortas
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 1995
Realm: Washington Wash ing ton
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crafty

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training