Teaching angles versus shot techniques

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Teaching angles versus shot techniques

Postby Kyrian » Thu May 01, 2008 2:32 pm

After reading this thread in Armour Archive, I started thinking about the different techniques in teaching a new fighter basic attacks. A couple of things that really stood out were the 50(!) some odd shots that one person listed and a couple of others that broke it down into four simple categories:

1) Slash
2) Punch
3) Wrap
4) Thrust

and

1) Forehand (like in tennis)
2) Backhand
3) Wrap
4) Thrust

I learned and continue to teach using numbered angles:

#1--to opponent's left shoulder
#2--to opponent's right shoulder
#3--to opponent's left side
#4--to opponent's right side
#5--to opponent's left leg
#6--to opponent's right leg

with wraps and thrusts introduced later.

How did you learn and what do you consider the most effective way to introduce shots to a new fighter? One thing I should clarify is that this is intended to be in a learning environment away from the normal melee practice.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Spyn » Thu May 01, 2008 3:19 pm

2. The 10 shots
A. Five basic flat wraps = Outside Flat wrap , Rising wrap aka scoop shot , Shoulder wrap , Crossing Flat wrap , Rising cross aka reverse scoop

B. The High cross = What most amtgarders throw wrong.. leaves alot open and is over used ... ala the flat high cross
c. The Slot shot = A good lead or a good repost after a block to the outside or inside from a medium range...usually thrown for shoulder or high chest areas

D. Hacking / chopping shot = usually a shot thrown after a parry when in close , to maximize speed and still keep a good guard .

E. Quick stab = Usually at lower torso, one of the quickest attacks

F. Hook stab = just that, a stab that hooks in ,making it harder to read and block

Just a sample from my basics video write up that we are tapeing ...hope to have it released in a month

SPyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Hatchet » Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 pm

I learned by being shown shots and adding and subtracting from them. I think however; improvisation in a battle would be easier to me had I been taught via the numbered angled approach.

I think teaching shots though is a quicker way of teaching someone.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Brennon EH » Thu May 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I generally teach principles of shots rather than individual shots. I teach somebody how to throw a wrap, and then explain the six zones theory of life, and then teach them to alternate between zones with feints and combinations in order to throw their opponent off guard.

Spyn is generally better at teaching low/middle-end people to be effective quickly, without necessarily understanding what they are doing. I tend to teach mid/upper end people to understand what they are doing conceptually and expand upon it.

You can teach almost everybody to be 'average', but most people can't 'get' fighting at a conceptual level.
Brennon EH
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Kyrian » Thu May 01, 2008 8:31 pm

Brennon EH wrote:...explain the six zones theory of life...

Are the six zones theory of life explained in your YouTube seminar? If not, could you elaborate?
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

hmmm

Postby Spyn » Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm

i find it easier to teach form and stances first... After they can do stuff correctly following a few thousand reps, we break into whys and theory behind the moves. AKA what leads into and out of these shots. Learning to use them as transitions from offense to defense.

In general i find theory and how and why alot easier to teach if there form is perfect and stances are correct when swinging.

Pain and repetition cures most form flaws early on.

You could ask noah what he thinks of the teaching method brennon, since he is the only current learner in it.

I dont bother with concepts on most people because they will never get good enough to bother with it anyways. Took me a while if i remeber corectly to iron out brennons flaws in fighting to help him make the hump . But he also understood concepts better than most

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training