Red sword "+" Blocks

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

When I block with a red sword I:

Try to hold out my sword so that the weapon hitting mine forms a "+"
17%
Swing at the incoming sword
7%
Attack the opponent in such a way that my sword intersects the path of his weapon while still aiming to attack my opponent
32%
Hold my sword for maximum coverage of my body and turning my body to connect with the incoming sword without necessarily matching its angle.
10%
None of the above
34%

Total votes : 41

Red sword "+" Blocks

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon May 19, 2008 5:06 pm

For those who fight red sword, what were the basics of blocking that you were taught?
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Sir Guts » Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Generally after my first red swing its all instinct but i find myself blocking with my handle a lot due to it being at the right hieght of their swing. otherwise shifting the whole sword over.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Hatchet » Mon May 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Depends on the strike. I usually have the pommel raised with left hand and the sword tip in front of my right foot. Known as the Fools guard

http://www.thearma.org/essays/newstancepics/Ars.jpg

The blocks are usually put either in between my two hands or lower on the blade. This also sets up for low "sweep" shots at the foot.

However; if the opponent is prone to the famous rushing shot. I have my sword in the Pflung or plow position as seen here

http://www.thearma.org/essays/newstancepics/LPUls.jpg

The back hand raises up to intercept the first swing [hits usually between the hands and remember the closer to the point in which the shot originated from the better.] roll around the swordsmen with the back leg [usually to the sword side of my opponent keeping weapon in contact with sword.] switch to the modified roof position as seen here

http://www.thearma.org/essays/newstancepics/VDPDrs.jpg

and follow through with a strike to the back using a downward chop [if opponent is leaning forward into the rush] or from the side if opponent is not leaning forward.

to answer the question though

I prefer to have them hit the area between my hand holds so I can have a easier control with it. The weakest part of the a block is closest to the blade tip. So closer to pommel the better!

Also a Cross guard is a good option. I have a Edhellen Claymore with the straight cross guard. the cross guard broke after about a year but; it has saved me in a bunch of encounters It also increases the area able to be blocked with said claymore.

Another useful tool is the Plow stance[http://www.thearma.org/essays/newstancepics/LPUls.jpg] its sturdy so that you can keep the sword in your opponents way [Stops him from directly running into you] and sets up the shot as described above. Also hard to swat out of the way.

Also learning how to use Longsword as described in http://www.thearma.org/essays/StancesIntro.htm will increase your ability to survive beyond one hit.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon May 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Sorry I forgot to put up a "none of the above" on the poll. I don't seem to be able to edit it now.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon May 19, 2008 7:04 pm

"The best defense is not being there."

I just try to get my body out of the way as much as possible, but when that stops being an option, i try to alleviate the need to block by throwing shots fast enough that they enemy cant do anything but.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Arrakis » Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 pm

Counter cuts to the sword arm are my staple with every weapon style.

I need SO much redsword practice before I'll be any sort of credible threat with one, though.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Vak » Mon May 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Dag has the right Idea. Move your body and counter swing at the same time. Blocking gives the attacker a chance to get a bounce off your sword and a faster follow up swing. If they miss totally they will be open.

Footwork = key
Seeing a swing & countering = key

Another good thing is to know the possible swings and how to move to block or avoid a swing all together. Play around with different stances. I Personally fight a low with a point down style. Allows to Shoulder protection and low sweeping strikes. But it has limited actual swings.
Knight of Morva, Sir Vak Hellhammer
Vak
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Chicago Esgaroth
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Red Sword

Postby Sleeper » Mon May 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Dagganoth wrote:"The best defense is not being there."

What happens when you go against another redsword or a glaive or spear?

I can not think of any one way to block but the usual stance I do is hold the sword in front of me, the tip pointed at the ground and the pommel directly in front of me. This works best against glaive/spears, flourentiners, blockable missile weapons and other redswords but can give you a disadvantage if a shieldman charges.

Another wonderful block like move that I saw on a movie and decided to work it into the usual redsword routine and found it to work beautifully against shieldmen. When you throw a redshot, pull the sword up in front of you, blocking the shieldmens counterattack, still using the same movement, you pull the sword back behind you, ready for the second shield killer redshot. Watch 'The Last Samurai' and you will get what I mean.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Re: Red sword "+" Blocks

Postby Shyftir » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:45 pm

The style of blocking i use with a red is two fold.

I either take a step back e.i. dodge.

Or block as I was taught to with a a staff by my martial arts instructor.

(note: I usually try to use a long handled red if I'm using it this way.)

The staff block is like a two handed punch block with the section of the handle between my hands.

I also am working on using a tech-ply round with a fast red. Still gripping the sword with both hands. It has the advantage of better blocking, (i.e. a shield) but suffers from reduced speed and angles in my red use.
MUXLOVIA

Clan Black-Hawk - Trueborn
Shyftir
Thug
Thug

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Black-Hawk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board & Blue, Javelin

Postby tvetree » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 pm

Missed all of the above...

But moslty by moving your body behind your own weapon.That way you don't loose the abilty to strike to kill,as you would if you strike at the weapon.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:34 am

None of the above, maybe option 4. Typically, if I'm planning to block and counter, I'll step into the shot hard and block with the lower third of the blade (or the handle/pommel). Your opponent isn't usually expecting you to close the distance. If you block close to the base of the blade, you have more leverage to snap your weapon hard into their shoulder or parry and aim for the hip or arm.

Also, don't get hit.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Slagar » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 am

I spent most of the summer teaching people how to fight single blue and red sword for a Renaissance faire (generic boffer, not belegarth, same rules though). With the disclaimer that I'm too slow and don't have the wind to be a credible threat with a red sword in this game, I am pretty solid with technique. The best style I've ever seen (and my boss was the single best Red sword fighter I've ever seen or heard of, hands down) is:

-A simple straight up and down guard, directly in front of your body.
-You sweep the sword left and right, using your shoulders and core for power, while keeping the sword perpendicular to the ground.
-You move your legs, never block them.
-You push and pull to throw shots, push with your top hand, and pull with your bottom hand, using your shoulders for power into your shots.
-You backpedal while he rushes, throwing shots the whole time.
-The key to this style is to throw more shots, faster, than the other guy. This is a very aggressive style, forcing your opponent to block your shots instead of throw his own. My boss said that his goal was to throw six shots before his opponent could manage one, and he could manage it against everyone I saw him fight. That's pretty much what you have to do to always win, using this style, since it doesn't provide any defense for the lower body beyond your ability to dodge, so if you let them rush and swing for your knees, you've lost.

There you go. Like I said, you won't be seeing me using a red, I'm way too * slow to kill any real fighters with 'em, but for basic technique, that's your best bet, imho.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Roland Demox » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Ok Slagar dont cheat them. Jim was a tank. Flicks of his wrists would create sufficent force to break a shield. And I saw him hit alot more than six shots per his opponents 1. The man was a beast, and hit like a truck *cringes as he remembers the feeling of red sword vs. hip*
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Slagar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:16 am

Yes, yes he is. *shudder*

His style is still valid, even if you aren't the mutant son of Schwarzenegger and a Peterbilt.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Wow, Slagar, you just stole my thunder.
That is almost exactly how I fight. I use a buckler while doing it, to counter the odd left handed shield guy and to keep my * safe from the shenanigans of archers.
It's a hard style, but if you can keep your sword vertical in front of your body, and keep your legs out of the way, you can pretty much block all day and hit people whenever you want. The only problem I've had is genterating enough power for sheild breaking strikes. If I'm in the middle of a combo, some people call light on their shield. If I try for the shield break at the begining of a combo, they always take 'em.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:18 pm

When you guys say vertical you do mean tip is in the air right. Not pommel in the air
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Slagar » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:04 pm

Yes. Tip is in the air, pointed straight away from the ground.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Roland Demox » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm